SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Losing Weight/Dieting: What Works For You . . . And What Doesn't?

lynninnewmexico
11 years ago

As usual, I put on pounds during the holidays (Thanksgiving thru New Years) and now with Summer and this trip to Florida coming up, I'm on a tear to lose weight. I 'm still within the "normal limits" for my age and height, but just barely. I want to lose 10 more pounds so that my clothes fit better and I'll have more energy . . . not to mention, look better in my bathing suit!

My family doc DH is totally against any fad diets and stresses instead a diet low in carbs, sweets, sodas and cheese and &other fats and moderate daily exercise. His famous saying to his patients (&Me) is "Everything in Moderation! " So, that's what I've been doing. I usually only drink 1-2 Cokes a week, so cutting back to one was not that hard. I'm deathly allergic to artificial sweeteners, so that's out from the get-go. I drink my coffee and tea black. I'm not really a sweets person and we hardly ever have dessert or bread with our meals, so that's not too hard . . . although Oakley's cake sounds delicious and so tempting to me this morning!

I lost 7 pounds in two weeks, but put back on 3 pounds during my trip to see DD for her college/sorority's Mom's Weekend at O.U. I know it was those margaritas and (delicious!) nachos at Tobey Keith's restaurant in OKC that did it! (Sigh) Nachos and anything cheese is my big dietary weakness. I ended up eating half of my DD's order with her there.
I've finally gotten those 3 off again and am trying for another 10 pounds. I'm running 30 minutes on my elliptical every day, as well as walking a mile with the dogs. I need to really work on my abs, and am doing 50 super sit-ups a day. OMG, am I sore!

I did try that Raspberry Keytone for a month or two, but did not see any real change. DH would be so ticked if he knew I tried those!

Biking is out, BTW, because we live in a mountain community where the main road is narrow, without a bike trail and drivers drive too fast. On the off roads, you run into dogs that will chase and nip at you, bobcats, mountain lions, coyotes and occasional bears. I'm a coward when it comes to those!

Soooo, what else have you tried that works?
Lynn

Comments (30)