SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jewelisfabulous

What do you do with a friend who doesn't issue invites?

jewelisfabulous
8 years ago

I have a friend who is always seems happy to accept my invitations for lunch, movie, shopping, city events, etc. In fact, she's never turned down any of my invites except if she's going to be out of town, so it appears she enjoys my company, as I do hers. We seem to like a lot of the same activities and have a lot of talk about when we get together.

The problem is that she never initiates social plans. From the entire time I've known her, she's never once invited me to do anything, not even a glass of wine on her back porch.

A few months ago, I decided to hold off issuing any more invites to her just to see what would happen. Since then, she texted me often and we have lively, fun conversations whenever we happen to run into each other around town, but haven't actually gotten together to do anything like in the past. At this rate, we're sliding into "acquaintance-ville" versus "friendship town".

I know I could interpret this as her not really being all that interested in our friendship. However, based on our past interactions, I really don't think that's the case. I think she's just gotten used to others doing the "heavy lifting" when it comes to making social plans.

How do I gently encourage her to pick up the slack rather than always depending on me to plan our get-togethers? I was thinking about telling her, "Let me know if you want to get together. I'm free x, x, and x dates" then sitting back to see what she does with that encouragement.

What do you think?

Comments (41)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville