SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miragesmack

Odd type of hardwood floor, need advice

miragesmack
15 years ago

Hi. I plan to refinish a hardwood floor on a rental property which has pretty good looking floors, which have been under carpet for years. There are zero stains, however the problem is several strips are missing, presumably from a leaking window A/C unit. They likely warped and were removed before carpeting.

Here the problem. House was built in 1929, but don't know if floors are original. I have been told they were there in the early 60's by neighbors who moved in at that time. They are oak, laid directly over plank subfloor, over 1000' of it. The problem is they ARE NOT tongue and groove. The strips are 2" wide, and 1/4" deep, or thick. They are secured through the surface with a brad type nail, which don't show and don't protrude above the surface. I didn't know they weren't tongue and groove until I got to the missing pieces. The floor looks fine, even with the nails you can't see. I assume they were set below, and filled before staining. The profile of the wood shows it is not layered in contruction, just solid wood of 1/4" deep.

Has anyone heard of this type flooring and where can I find replacement pieces? Maybe it was a cheap alternative at some point in history. If not available, then what are my options? Any thoughts on sanding depth issues if I can find the pieces? The floor looks like it would clean up real nice, and it's a shame to cover it with something else.

Thanks for your help, Stephan

Comment (1)