SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forshoppingonline

Need advice ASAP! Feeling panicky about switching to hardwood floors!

Pink Poppy
7 years ago

I recently learned that wood look tiles can't be installed with the narrow grout lines and random pattern I initially thought was possible. I know I wont be able to live with them because they just won't look realistic enough. Reno is set to start in about 3 weeks so I'm SUPER frustrated with myself that I didn't realize this earlier on.

I've now decided to get hardwood floors, which is what I wanted in the first place but I was too freaked out by how much more careful I have to be with HW. I've never had HW floors before so they're so foreign and scary to me! Now I am in a time crunch with a steep learning curve, trying to get up to speed on HW floor options.

I don't have time to shop around so went to a reputable local flooring store. They carry largely high end floors. I found a beautiful 7.5" engineered white oak with a water-based PU finish. They are pricey - $11/sq ft. Yikes.

And the installation instructions state that, because they're such a wide plank, they will need to be both nailed and glued down. This will add to the installation cost and, should I ever need to pull up some boards to replace, they will be a PITA to remove.

To pile on to the worries, I read through the owner instructions from the manufacturer and I am so worried I won't be able to maintain the level of humidity they require to honour the warranty (30-50%).

I'm now paralyzed and feeling like I can't go through with ordering these floors. They are so expensive, I'm freaked that I'll ruin them, and I'll kick myself if they ever need to be pulled up.

Comments (62)