SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msafirstein

Its Valentines Jubilee Time!

msafirstein
16 years ago

Its time.Its time to post your pictures of your luscious creations for Valentines Day!

Ill start out with some creations I made for my nieces in OH. I cant send cupcakes through the mail so opted to make some candy and cookie lollipops. This was my first attempt at hard candy and it was fun.

The candy lollipops were a last minute idea and I was really not prepared to make them. I burned the first batch of sugar and was a bit short on Karo Syrup so had to substitute some Pomegranate Syrup, which turned out to be delicious. I also added some cinnamon flavoring and then dipped the lollipops in white and dark chocolate using my new chocolate melting pot which worked out so well. Then I completed the decorating with some Valentines confections.

First is the bubbling cast iron pot of HOT, 300 degrees, molten sugar!!

Here are the parasol lollipops cooling after dipping and decorating.

My work area for the Big Heart Lollipops.

The finished Parasol Lollipops.

The finished Big Heart Lollipops.

All wrapped with cellophane and ribbons and ready to be shipped.

Also I made some Lollipop Cookies but I was rushed to get them in the mail and forgot to take a picture of the final product. But here is my work area with the cookies ready to go into the oven.

Michelle

Comments (125)

• sigh
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow...just...wow. Lucy, I can't get over how beautifully your cupcakes are decorated, like froths of lace.

Michelle- I love the jewelled server and I love that you have ganache in your fridge. I don't (I have dulce de leche) but I think it's a great idea! How long does it keep (like that's going to be a problem)?

The cupcake & fruit bouqet- augh! I love it! Oh how fabulous is that?

Everything is gorgeous, I can't believe how lovely this stuff is.

I need to become a "cupcaeks in the freezer" kind of gal.

Nina

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Sadly, nothing to add. The best I could do this year was boxed Strawberry cake mix cupcakes for my son's school. We are the house of sick.

Just wanted to say Happy Valentine's Day:). I just love cupcakes and anything mini!

Deborah, you had me at the mini pavlova cupcakes. They are dreamy! Looking forward to the recipe as well! Michelle that cake stand is fab!

Nice job, all!

(now off to figure out where my toolbar and spellcheck went - lol)

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Beautiful cupcakes cookies and sweets everyone!

We're not accustomed to doing anything special for Valentine's Day but I did think it was time to visit our neighbourhood German bakery and see what they were offering for today. I splurged! And as it was such a beautiful sunny morning, the roses were in bloom so I cut a few of them to put around the house. Here's my contribution ....and I didn't have to even turn on my oven LOL!

I think we'll go out for lunch today.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

SharonCb

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon! Gorgeous! Love the 2-tiered server and would not take me long at long to buy that one!!! Is it vintage?

Here are my Mini Matcha Green Tea Cakes with Pomegranate Cream Cheese Frosting and topped with a cinnamon heart. These are the most delicious cupcakes I've ever made! I think I like them best naked with no frosting at all!!!

Michelle

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Sharon, those sweets are GORGEOUS! What wonderful pics!!

Michelle, are you starting a new thread for tonight? Or just keep posting here?

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I want to save this entire thread so if it's okay I just as soon keep everything in one place.

Every single thing is just so wonderful...I really am beyond words!

Michelle

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

I made sugar cookies yesterday...all I could find was the red sprinkles....

Will post dinner later...

Linda

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Michele: Kathleen : Beyond Words ?????
    You could have said Happy Valentines Day !!!!!

I'll tell you. No appreciation! and after all the sacrificing I did.

Lou

• trudy_gw
    16 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone. Love all the photos of the baked googies:)

This is the best I could come up wit today. Health problems going on with my mom, so no time to make some cocktails, let a lone drink one. Didnt even dare open for the bottle for fear, of drinking it all.

Wine is Ballatore Rosso Red Spumante. Great sparkle in a red wine, had this at wine club last month, they told even non wine drinkers have like this wine. Cheers!

For some reason photo will now show....could someone please help......
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/TrudyVW/DSC02904.jpg[/IMG]

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Okay here's my cupcakes..
    {{gwi:1489332}}

I'll have to take and post a pic of the other treats I made.
    Nigella's brownies are Soooooooooooooooo good..slurp!

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hope you don't mind Trudy. I just copied your picture and will post it for you.

Gorgeous color for wine and I love the heart decorated glasses and the napkins are adorable!

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Trudy, so sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope things improve soon.

I will join you in our cocktail hour. We have a puppy training class tonight so no VD dinner is planned unfortunately. But we rarely miss an opportunity for a good martini!

Michelle

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And a special one for Lou!

I need to catch up with this thread!

Nina, I love Janet's Cupcake Bouquet too. And I considering making one for Joe for his birthday in April. I know he would love it.

Maggie, hope your houseful is doing better today!!!

Lynda, White and Red Hearts are the best and I would love one of yours right about now. I've having a terrible time finding the scalloped heart cookie cutter and I want one!

Trudy, as I said before gorgeous looking wine and I love the heart decorated glasses and napkins. Just too cute!

Terri, love your cupcakes...so festive looking! I like the candy decorations too especially the pink and chocolate pyramid shaped ones!

Michelle

• deborah_ps
    16 years ago
  • User
    16 years ago

Canary I love looking at all the pics you post ... beautiful sweets.

Linda your cookies look very valentiney (is that a word:)

Terri, your cupcakes were worth waiting for ... gorgeous !

Trudy lovely tablescape.

Lou have you tasted everything for me :)

Maggie I hope your entire household gets better ... ((hugs))

Happy Valentines Day !!

• shaun
    16 years ago

I can't believe all the beautiful creations you've all made. I'm proud to know you guys!

Happy Valentines Day!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Lou, you didn't wait long enough!! I was busy getting everything ready for you! Happy Valentine's to you!!!

To end the sugar rush, some spanokopita and grapes..

Then a Moo tini with a heart shaped apple tart..
    And some heart shaped dipped in choc brownies...

SWEET Dreams, everyone...

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Kathleen...I love everything including the Moo-tini! I have some old milk bottles too that would work perfectly!! The apple tart is fabulous! In the last picture is that a solid porcelain heart, it is beautiful.

I have 1 final cupcake and I promise this is my last one for the Jubilee.

It is a vanilla cupcake stuffed with a whole fresh strawberry and topped with cream cheese frosting and fresh mint. It is soooooooo good! I only made 3 and I wish I'd made a dozen! Not a perfect picture but it's so good, it just doesn't matter. ;)

Michelle

• User
    16 years ago

Kathleen everything looks lovely, especially that apple tart !

Mini Matcha Green Tea Cakes Michelle ? And whole strawberry cupcake ? WOW !! Joe must be in heaven :)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Just went back again over the whole thread, wow, such beautiful pictures. Everyone did a wonderful job.
    Michelle, nice party! And no hangovers from milk!
    Who's next??

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

I'm crying UNCLE here...I can't take it anymore! The people in your lives enjoying these amazing treats are VERY lucky!!!

David

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am over-the-top thrilled with how well the Jubilee turned out. Every single Valentine's Day treat was amazing!

And as Shaun said "I'm proud to know you guys!"

Tomorrow I am going to put everyone's name in a hat and have Joe draw a winner for a sweet surprise.

If there are any last minute pictures to be added please do it before Friday Night at 5:00 pm.

Thanks for such a wonderful 3 days. I had a blast!!

Michelle

• stacy3
    16 years ago

well, i wasn't really participating because we are celebrating Saturday - but in case anyone else besides me is saving this entire spectacular thread - for ideas for next year, i will post my cookies. i added orange and white and more sayings after this pic. i think they turned out cute - as i'm not really much of a baker.

AND, i am stunned by all of these gorgeous creations. really stunned. they're all beautiful and soooo many ideas that never would have occurred to me. Love those cupcakes dipped in ganache.

Stacy

{{gwi:1489338}}

• deborah_ps
    16 years ago

Thank You Michelle for organizing this fun event. If not for your encouragement and support I just might have given up when things were looking dismal.
    And to my new virtual friends, a heart felt thank you for the lovely compliments you've paid me :)

Deborah

• piyush
    16 years ago

Fantastic pics.
    Thanks to all.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I've really enjoyed seeing all the great V-Day ideas.

Michelle, you did a great job and I love the fresh strawberry in a cupcake idea.

I ended up making Cherry Turnovers as our V-Day dessert. Sure not fancy, but something we enjoy.
    {{gwi:1489339}}

Nancy

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sure not fancy

Not fancy Nancy? Any thing with a drizzled glaze is fancy!!!

The Stuffed Strawberry Cupcake was so easy. First you bake the cupcake, let it cool. Then from the top of the cupcake crave out a hole in the middle. I used my potato peeler and it worked out well. Then insert the berry and frost. DONE!!! It was much easier then I thought it would be.

I might make some with fresh blueberries for Joe!

Michelle

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Rats. It looks like I'm out. I made lots of goodies, and took lots of pictures, but haven't sorted any of them out yet, and I'll have to be at work before the 5 p.m. deadline. So I'll just post my stuff on a separate thread when I put it all together.

But, I'm tickled I came by to see what you had done, and I love it all, from the many beautiful cupcakes and creative cookies to the innovative fruit bouquet. I'd be hard pressed to pick just one as a favorite.

Great job everyone. And thank you Michelle for getting the ball rolling on this one. Cupid would be proud.

Sol

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

Every one's cupcake, candy and desserts look so delightful..
    We are a creative bunch. LOL
    Here's what I made for my DH of dinner last night.
    First course Salad with Dijon vinaigrette and mandarin oranges.

Second course (partly stolden) Lobster Bisque with pear and brie cheese heart appetizer

Main course Duck Breast A' La Orange with rice, almonds and asparagus

Dessert - Chocolate Mousse with raspberries.

The roses came on Wednesday, DH is such a sweetie.

Linda P

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Michelle:
    Kathleen:
    Ohiomom:
    Lucy:
    Did I miss anyone? There are so many good things in here,
    I'm talking about the women.
    I haven't been looking in much but I saw all the great looking cupcakes.
    Didn't realise I had Valentines greetings.
    Thanks Ladies, Love you all, Nice to have you for my Valentine.
    Lou

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There are so many good things in here,
    I'm talking about the women.

It is my pleasure to be your Valentine! Actually, I'm honored.

Michelle

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

wahhhaa he missed me..but I still love him!

I love Chocolate Mousse.....and raspberries..okay that's just heaven for me...
    Linda, can you share your recipe? And you're whole dinner line up looks so wonderful!

I've got to grab the SD out of the camera and post my other goodies and the boys pizza's I made lastnight.

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

Okay for the mousse I cheated a bit...
    1 small box of instant chocolate pudding
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream
    2 Tbsp Grand Marnier
    Mix together in a medium bowl until soft peak form
    Place in a baggie cut off end and pipe into martini glasses. Makes 6 servings

OR; here's a great chocolate pudding recipe from scratch if you have some great chocolate in the house.
    Silky Chocolate Pudding
    Adapted from John Scharffenberger, via Wednesday Chef

Serves 6

1/4 cup cornstarch
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    3 cups whole milk
    6 ounces 62% semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used good quality semisweet chocolate chips; use 70% bittersweet if you want more of a dark chocolate kick)
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt in the top of a double boiler. Slowly whisk in the milk, scraping the bottom and sides with a heatproof spatula to incorporate the dry ingredients. Place over gently simmering water and stir occasionally, scraping the bottom and sides. Use a whisk as necessary should lumps begin to form. After 15 to 20 minutes, when the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of the spoon, add the chocolate. Continue stirring for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until the pudding is smooth and thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

2. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer (or skip this step if youre a slacker like me who is absolutely certain that there is nary a lump her puddin) into a serving bowl or into a large measuring cup with a spout and pour into individual serving dishes.

3. If you like pudding skin, pull plastic wrap over the top of the serving dish(es) before refrigerating. If you dislike pudding skin, place plastic wrap on top of the pudding and smooth it gently against the surface before refrigerating. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 days (ahem, good luck with that).

Linda P

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Lou
    It is my pleasure to be your Valentine as well,

Lucy

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Kudo's to our Hostess, Michelle

Lovely event & so much fun !!!!

Lucy

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Lucy!!! So cute!

Don't want you to feel to bad Terri so here's one for you!

Michelle

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

OK, here's our Valentine's evening:

This is just a quilt that I layed on a table.

{{gwi:1489344}}

Our roasted 'sprouts' in a heart bowl:

{{gwi:1489345}}

The entire meal (Prime rib, bacon wrapped scallops nestled into fettucine with Gruyere and Walnuts and the sprouts):

{{gwi:1489346}}

I had my own color theme since DH favorite color is yellow:
    {{gwi:1489347}}

And and khandi's Kahlua brownie with cream and a drizzle:
    {{gwi:1489348}}

Deanna

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Deanna, very nice!

Michelle, thank you!

Here's the boys Pizza's..LOL
    {{gwi:1489349}}

and here's my other goodies that went to the teachers and staff.
    {{gwi:1489350}}
    Nigellas Flourless Brownies, SharonCB's Aunt Doe's Shortbread dipped in Lindtz 70% Chocolate. Oh and a leftover shortbread with cupcake frosting on it for hubby..

And "cocktails" were Apple Cherry Juice with Sprite served in the beautiful Goblets AnnT sent me in a swap.
    The oldest son had Raspberry Italian Cream Soda..He was in heaven being able to make his own.

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Canarybird,

I'd love to know what that stacked dessert w/the hibiscus flower was, boy does that look so good. Could you describe it pleeeaaasssseeeeeee....

Lucy

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Terri...I LOVE YOUR VD PIZZA!!!! So cute! What did your boys say? The shortbread drizzled with chocolate looks fabulous!!!!

I might have to make some shortbread this weekend. We're expecting 2 days of freezing rain and I'll need something to keep me busy!

Deanna, the prime rib looks so good and I'm starving!!!!!

Michelle

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Michelle..it was lost on them...They don't appreciate the extras ....lol ....just like their father...just give me the food...If it tastes good...they're happy.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Terri, good job on the sweets, and pizza looks delicious. Start giving them cwappy dinners and see if they notice, LOL

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

everyone did a spectacular job. i had hoped to join in, but other things got in the way. i actually did some baking, but never got around to the decorating. i love everything that has been posted and if my scanner was hooked up -- actually, if i can find the cable - i would post some previous things i made and show off my "talent". unfortunately, i can't find the dang thing.

terri, if you cooked/baked for me, i certainly would appreciate it all!

all the meals are incredible and sharon, your pix are just to die for. what a lovely country you live in and what incredible dishes you make and pix you take.

maryanne

• debbie814
    16 years ago

I'm saving this entire thread for next Valentine's day. Each and every post is spectacular. You've given me some great ideas! Sharing a few photos of our table setting for our anniversary dinner on Valentine's day. I used the cupcake recipe from Magnolia's bakery in NYC. We loved it.

{{gwi:1489351}}

{{gwi:1489352}}

{{gwi:1489353}}

{{gwi:1489354}}

{{gwi:1489355}}

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Debbie!!!!! You've been missed! So happy that you came back to join in on the fun. Your table is gorgeous and your cupcakes are so cute.

I think we will do this again next year!

Michelle

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Better late than never !!!!!

{{gwi:1489356}}

LOU

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Lou!!! Your Petits Fours are adorable!!!! Brings back some memories of making these when I was in Girl Scouts.

Michelle

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Oh Lou,

THOSE ARE JUST TOO

Lucy

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

debbie and lou, i'm so glad i came back to check on this thread. wonderful additions!

lou, i'm planning on being upstate soon. save some of that cooking and baking for when i visit!!!!!!!!! and what can i bring you?

maryanne

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Maryanne:
    Send me a menu . Bring yourself and whoever.
    LOU
    PS: Are you going Skiing?