SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

Awesome Clam Chowder!

gardengrl
15 years ago

I had a hankering for clam chowder this week, but didn't have the time to make it the way I usually do. I found this recipe on Recipezaar and it seemed easy enough to send to DH and let him take the lead.

Let me tell you, I've had A LOT of clam chowder in my time and this stuff ROCKED!! I'm in Florida, and have loved clam chowder all my life...so I have high standards. I was impressively surprised and it is so, so, so easy! Don't be a hater because of the Cream of Celery soup, trust me!

Clam Chowder

Recipe Source: Recipezaar

6-7 pieces bacon, cut into small pieces

1 medium onion, chopped

2 (5 ounce) cans baby clams, with juice reserved (drain juice into a bowl or cup)

1 bottle clam juice

5 potatoes, peeled and cubed into 2" chunks

2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of celery soup

1 cup heavy cream

1 cup milk

1 ½ tablespoon butter

1 teaspoon dried dill weed (if you donÂt have dill weed, use thyme)

1 tsp pepper

Salt to taste

Add bacon to dutch oven and cook on medium heat until crispy. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add clam juice from both cans plus bottle of clam juice. Add potatoes, bring to a simmer, and cover until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally so potatoes won't stick. Add clams, soup, cream, milk, dill weed, and stir together. Add butter and let melt into the chowder, then add pepper. Simmer for about 30-45 minutes or until thickened. Stir occasionally and add salt to taste.

NOTE: This can be lightened by using all milk instead of cream.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH