SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rednellie

Need a Summer Orthotic Sandal/Flip-flop

redbazel
15 years ago

Some of us have had the plantar faciatis conversation here before. I have had this condition for 3 years now and use Powersteps in my shoes, but, even so, I still have to buy a very specific shoe to deal with the pain. I have found that Kumfs carry some dress shoes that will work...they have their own removable orthotic and I can sometimes wear them or just add my Powerstep. But Kumfs are not cheap. I just bought these (Ibis) and am delighted with them.

{{gwi:1504612}}
They have a velcro fastener, the heel looks dressy, they work well with my black work slacks as well as skirts, and most importantly, they are cool. I am SO tired of socks with lace-up shoes with my orthotic insert. Summer is HOT here, and I need something that can keep a cool foot. But Kumfs kill my budget.

Have any of you with PF found an orthotic flip-flop or very casual sandal with built-in orthotic that you can tolerate for more than 2 hours?

Red

Comments (49)

• judiegal6
    15 years ago

Actually I don't have that problem, but I find myself searching for things that others might need. I guess it stems from mothering 6 girls for the past 35 years. Hope this might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Healthy flip flops

• pecanpie
    15 years ago

Mephisto sandals are flip-floppish- only dressier. Very comfortable- good support for feet, good alignment for back, knees and hips.

I have several colors in the 'Helen' style, and one year after foot surgery, the gold sandal was my 'dress shoe' for the summer.

I'm having trouble pasting a link, but Zappos always carries them.

• Related Discussions

Funky flip flops

Q

Comments (7)
    I saw flip flops at a craft sale this past summer. They used strips of fabric that was torn into 1/2 inch wide strips (tearing gave them a raggedy edge). They folded the strips in half, placed under the flop straps, and put the cut ends through the loop (where the fold is) and pulled to tighten the knot. This is the kind of "knot" they use to make latchhook rugs. They used enough strips to cover the entire strap and they were really cute. Wouldn't cost much either...and would take about 1/2 hour I would guess from start to finish. You could choose your choice of funky by the fabric you used. Never heard of a Bunco party... Woodsy
    ...See More

SwitchFlops - changeable flip flops

Q

Comments (10)
    lenam, a friend of mine owns a shoe store that sells Danskos, Birkenstocks, etc. and says that all the flip flop wearers is what keeps in him in business (including me). They usually end up in his store HAVING to buy his shoes with more support, mainly from PF. I still wear flip flops on occasion, but years of wearing them constantly is what gave me PF. Can't give them up entirely though-LOL! Now I have to buy the Birkenstock sandals (not the original style) that are patent black or red and silver, the dressiest and least "clunkiest" I can find. I have just about every color. Not my favorite look, but I ruined my feet wearing flip flops, with no support for years and years. I hadn't worked a job, so I wore flip flops every day in the warm months.
    ...See More

Kino sandals from Key West

Q

Comments (9)
    I was in Kino's in February! Interesting place. Unfortunately, none of their styles fit me well enough to buy them (I'm always hard to fit). But my sister bought a nice purse for about $20. Here's Kino's: Not a fancy place at all! It's basically a warehouse type building, with a counter that displays all the sandals. You can see the sandals lined up on the counter in this photo. You ask the person behind the counter to hand you the size you need (they're all right behind the counter), you try them on (no worries about bare feet, apparently!), and out you go!
    ...See More

Help with sandal and purse color(s) for upcoming weddings

Q

Comments (10)
    My experience with NAOT is that they are very comfortable and you'd probably not need to change them... but I am not sure you'd float across the dance floor in them IYKWIM. If that's the brand you go with, I'd be inclined to stick with the dressier black styles. Their silver is a little rustic. I havent seen any this season but they have had some in the past with some bling. I don't really care for white shoes for formal events... so if not black, i'd go ivory (which is always lovely) or silver. Bronze could work nicely also. I forget who made them but I have a pair of bronze sandals with a little wedge that I think look great with black, navy, natural/flax and white. Ive never been a shoe must match the bag person. I'd get whatever style and color of cute little bag works with the outfit(s).
    ...See More
  • johnmari
    15 years ago

Those are some snappy-looking shoes. And this is coming from a woman who couldn't give a rat's rump in a rainstorm about shoes and doesn't like open-toed shoes. They DO look horribly expensive though... mind if I ask the damage to the wallet?

Have you checked Footsmart.com? If I could stand flip-flops (I despise that "blap-blap-blap" noise of the shoe smacking against the bottom of the foot, and the feel of something stuck between my toes with thongs) I'd be seriously considering one of the Fitflop models. They have a bunch of sandals they label "orthotic-friendly" where insoles can be removed to accomodate orthotics, made mostly by Naot, Drew, and Propet, and they're not all frumpy "granny sandals". Just go to "women's sandals" and then use the pull-down menu on the left side of the page to find "orthotic-friendly" under "shoe type". Still not inexpensive though, mostly.

I'm going to be swinging over to Sears this weekend to try on the Land's End Terrain Sandal and I'll report back on the support factor. They're not orthotic-able but they do look like they have good support (I have PF too and walking multiple miles a week in the pool in terrible shoes is doing a number on the ole dogs), I think they're pretty cute for a casual sandal, and even better they're only $35 a pair!

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    15 years ago

I may not have such severe plantar fasciitis, but still need to do stretches, wear supportive shoes, and never go barefoot :-/ .

Birkenstocks work for me, as do some Tevas, but if they have a back strap make sure it is adjustable.

Good suggestion on the Lands End shoes Johnmari, many of their styles come in WIDE, and they have a great return policy.

-Lena

Hmmm, maybe I could sneak an orthotic in these cuties?

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I get off work today, I'm checking out these possibilites. I hate the idea of ordering. When I try on shoes, 95% of the ones that seem like they would work, don't. Maybe 15 minutes feels fine, but can't keep going. So I wanted a brand I could find and try. But at this point, I need to go further afield.

The Kumfs are all over $100. That particular style caused a $200 hit to my debit card incl. tax. Now, you are talking to a girl who usually finds Naturalizers or Aerosteps or Clarks or Born at the discount stores for maybe $29.99 or $34.99. Kumfs work, but one pair per year is IT.

Red

• sovra
    15 years ago

If you have a Clarks store somewhere around, you could go try on some of their Privo shoes. They're not sandals, but they're about as open as the shoe you posted. And (I think) they qualify as casual but still kind of cute. They have removable footbeds, so you can insert your orthotic pretty easily.

The ones I have are the Luca style. They aren't bugging my feet at all, though the little criss-cross elastics have been leaving elastic marks on my feet. Kind of like the marks you get from tight socks.

I've been thinking of trying a pair with flatter elastics, like these: Acacia, but haven't done more than look at the picture yet.

I'm finding that when worn barefoot, my feet are hot with my new orthotics no matter what. I think it has to do with the material with which they're covered and am planning on figuring out a work-around once things get warmer here.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Not sure what the PF demands, but I have high arches and if I don't have good support, I am miserable. Like Lenam, I never go barefoot. I love love love Birks in their Gizeh style and have used them in black patent, silver and gold for dress shoes for several years. I also like the Florida, but it has more of a traditional Birkie (hippie) look.

The beauty of these is that they come in all kinds of fun patterns and colors, which mitigates my sadness over not having a world of shoes to chose from. I have found a seller on eBay who is based in Germany and has access to styles we never see here. Fortunately, I know my size and the consistency is ...well...German. Exact! So, I can count on getting a good fit every time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gizeh

• OllieJane
    15 years ago

Oh yes, Amysrq! I LOVE the Gizeh Birkenstocks. I have the silver, dark brown leather and black patent ones.

I also bought the Mephisto Halana bronze for a new style this year.

Also bought another Mephisto style in silver with rhinestones around the big toe.

Oh, and I have PF!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Red, I had PF for several years. Finally I bought a pair of Ecco sandals and after living in them for 4 or 5 months, no more heel pain. Apparently I found a style whose foot pad exactly matched my high arch. That was 10 years ago, and I've been pain free since then . . . I even go barefoot again, which was impossible for years.

I have several pairs now, and still try to spend most of my indoor time in them, even in winter. They're definitely not cheap, but it was worth every penny to get rid of the pain. Eccousa.com has a store finder, so you could probably find somewhere to try them on. They're European sizing. Good luck -- PF is no joke.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

Sovra - thanks for the link to the Acacia's. I tried on a pair today, thanks to your post, liked them, but need to find a slightly dressier style for when I'm commuting, wearing a skirt. Will try some other stores tomorrow.

I did buy a pair of Clarks. But not really the othorpedic types :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Guilfords

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Olliesmom, I wish I could wear the Mephistos....my little square feet are too wide. :(

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

I don't have PF (at least I don't think I do), but I bought some clearance sandals at Famous Footwear last season that I swear by for summer.

They're Dr. Scholl's "Shout" sandal. They are the most comfortable and supportive sandal I've ever worn. I bought them when my mom and I were going to Charleston, and I needed a good walking sandal.

I have *never* walked so much, and yet had no backaches, no leg fatigue, no foot pain, etc. My mom tried them on, and swore she was going to buy some as well.

The best part (for me, anyway) was that the colors are cute and they look much dressier than some other comfort-style sandals I've seen.

I was worried about the thong aspect, but they were so darn comfortable I didn't even notice them. I'm sure there's no way to use an orthotic with them, but they have these huge arch supports and massaging textures. Can you go without orthotics with PF?

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

And here is a site that has closeups.

Here is a link that might be useful: Closeups of

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Gizeh fans, did you know the Big O has these for half price?

Here is a link that might be useful: and even some cute ones: *love* the Pop Art print!

• rockmanor
    15 years ago

I so appreciate this thread - thanks for all of the great ideas here!

• johnmari
    15 years ago

Followup re: the Land's End sandals... not good for folks with super high arches, but I have wide, square little duck feet with low arches. No strappy sandals for me! I prefer quite a bit of "coverage", like fisherman's sandals. Sears only had regular width in-store and they were too narrow for me, but they had enough potential that I ordered them in wide while I was there because if you place a Land's End mail order in the Sears store, shipping fees are waived and it's still shipped to your house, and you can return them right back to Sears. (I have to return the LE water shoes I bought because there's absolutely NO arch support to them and no cushioning once they're wet, even less than the silly little $10 rafting shoes I've been wearing - my feet were killing me halfway through my workout. They're still howling bloody murder.) They also run large/long, I had to drop from an 8 to a 7.

I can't wear anything like Birks - my foot anatomy just doesn't match up with the bumps and I end up in major pain. It's a drag.

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those Shouts are cheap enough to merit an order, because my DD could wear them if they don't work for me.

Red

• User
    15 years ago

I'm really glad this thread came up! Last summer my feel hurt so flippin bad it was crazy. I hate to spend money on shoes anymore but I need to find something stylish and comfortable. The two words weren't going together very well. I will be investing in a pair of those Shout sandals. Are the sizes pretty true? I wear a size 5 but my foot is more on the wide size so that makes a difference at times.

• User
    15 years ago

bumpin.

The brown ones are on sale now and I want to order them but I'm still debating about the size.

Reno - What do you think about the width of yours? I read the reviews and two of the people said about the width being kind of narrow the other reviews said it was fine. I was going to just order a 5 but am worried about them squishing the width. And I can't stand when I bought a size larger and there's an inch of flip flop front and back sticking out from my foot.

• probookie
    15 years ago

Although before developing PF I was not a fan of flip flops, I have to put in a plug for the Orthaheel products that show up in the link judiegal gave for "Healthy flip flops." We are a no-outdoor-shoes-indoors household, and it was hard to go from a bare feet/socks/bedroom shoes habit to having to wear supportive shoes even to walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night. After reading reviews that praised the comfort and support afforded by Orthaheel flip flops, I bought a pair to wear in the house and was so impressed that I immediately ordered 2 more for outdoor wear. $50 seems outrageous for flip flops, but they are one-fourth the cost of my Mephistos and twice as comfortable!

• redbazel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Probookie, I have been still without a summer sandal for two reasons. One, I HATE mail order. (Web order included. Need to try on and walk around the store.) And Two, I just haven't wanted to spend the money on another pair from the Kumfs store. I need something in double digit pricing not triple. I was just clicking on 'order' for a pair of Orthaheel flip flops, and came back to check this thread again. Did you get Wave or Tide or what?

Red

And although the dressy shoes I put in the forefront of my post are amazing for dress wear, I got a small crack in the top of my foot in April and they will not work for extended (8hrs on my feet at work) wear. I am looking at Finn Comfort in Jersey for work. Anyone tried Finn?

• jakabedy
    14 years ago

Just an FYI on those new Dr. Scholls sandals. I tried them on at the store a few weeks ago and bought two pair because they were like $19.00. What I didn't realize was that the way I walk is not compatible with the shoe. My heel wants to walk to the inside of the heel of the shoe (on the ground) rather than stay lined up with the shoe. I forgot I have this problem with sandals that have the strap closer to the toe than to the arch -- the little strap toward the toes doesn't hold my foot in the right spot.

Reno - do you need a couple pair in size 10?

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Red, I have a couple pair of Finns. They fit well, but the footbed tends to be kind of...hard...a lot like Birkenstocks. In other words, there's not a lot of give, if you need a little heel cushioning like I do. (Sadly, I have actual heel spurs along with PF, so I feel them when I walk. It's a real ''bite me''. I remember being a little shocked after my chiropractor took an x-ray of my feet and showed me the indentation in the bottom of my shoe!)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I have flat feet and of all the shoes I have the pair of Birkenstock gizehs is the most bizarre. Those are made for people with very high arches.
    I can only wear them for short periods of time.
    Otherwise, I am no help. Comfortable, attractive, affordable shoes to me are an aberration rarely encountered.

• groomingal
    14 years ago

How about the SAS shoes?

This may not be your style or work for your needs but I thought I would give you another option.

My grandma worked for them many years ago and she loved their shoes because they were comfortable and they held up really well.

Here is a link that might be useful: sas sandals

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I have a bad back from an accident and have to wear good shoes or I'm in for a world of pain. I used to wear strictly Timberland or Teva sandals, but then last year I discovered Ecco brand (German, I believe, they use European sizing). Wow, talk about a difference! I can walk all day in those and never get back or foot pain. They are pricey, but worth it.

There are several sandal styles out there, I've found that sometimes Sierra Trading Post has pretty good deals. (Mine were close to $200 retail at Macy's but with sale + coupons I paid far less than that. I take shortcuts on most things but can't skimp on my shoes. ;)

Take a look at these, not what I'd consider a true sandal, but if you like the Mary Jane look it might appeal, price is good, too!

• redbazel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So far, so good. I spent HOURS web-searching on Thurs since I had the day off. Finally, after reading shoe reviews till my eyes crossed, I set off for the shopping center that carries some nice womens shoes in hopes of good orthotics. I really wanted to try on the Finn Comfort shoe in Jersey, so that store sent me across town. There, I tried the Finn and loved the way it felt. (priced at $198 in the store--yikes!---but even higher online.) I teetered back & forth between that and this Wolky Adjust:
    {{gwi:1504617}}

My DD and the 20 yr old manning the store both thought the Finn was a prettier shoe. To me, it looked more clunky. Both felt great in completely different ways. I bought the Wolky pictured and wore it out of the store and to work Friday. On my feet solid from 9-5:30. No swelling and I did very well. With PF, you never feel great at end of day, but they were good shoes. I wore a long skirt with them. Today, I have them on with my capri jeans. I like the way they look too.

(That is said with THIS disclaimer: Why is it----???? That when you are in your 20's & 30's and have to pay for kid's stuff, can only afford the most basic of shoes, etc, for yourself, you look great and could wear almost any heel height/cute style, but can't afford the ones you want? When you are 50+, you have the money to buy something fairly nice, but have PF, a bad knee, and have to wear old lady shoes? Hmmmmmm?? Why?)

I plan to hit the special shoe/orthotics store in town and get the Orthaheel flip flops too. Or order online. I'm tired of hurting and making do.

Red

• funkyart
    14 years ago

I really feel for you, Red. I dont have PF but my mother does and my neighbor has heel spurs and also has to be on her feet all day. I ended up lending the neighbor my danskos and they worked out really well for her (an act of love because I DO NOT like sharing shoes-- I bet I never wear them again).

I like the one you selected.. and hope the flip flops work out for you too. I have the naot orion flip flop and I love it. Mine isnt the orthotic version-- and ok, I have the grateful dead version (Black with a dancing bear on the thong)-- but if you selected the right color or leather, I would think you could get double duty out of them. A patent leather flip flop would be great. They look kind of earthy crunchy in the pics but I think they are much cuter IRL-- the elastic band looks great even on my wide feet and the snug fit and contrasting textures is kind of sexy in its own way. Yep, they are pricy too but I have had mine for at least 4 years now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orthopedic NAOT at healthy feet store

• goldengirl327
    14 years ago

Great Thread! Thanks for posting this one. I also suffer from PF and heel spurs so I'm appreciating the company! While looking up some of the recommendations, I came across the PG Lite line. Has anyone else had any luck with this line? They look interesting--a bit casual, but able to accommodate custom orthotics. Maybe they could work for you, red. I'm thinking about ordering a pair as we are planning a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Italy with the kids this August to celebrate our 25th anniversary and our 50th birthdays!!!

• kyliegirl
    14 years ago

I wear the 'Keen' sandals and they work the best for me. They are a bit pricey but worth every penny. I have had 2 back surgeries and this is the first sandal I could wear.

Barb

• redbazel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funkyart....................why? I ask you. Why? Have I been mean to you? Then, why, after I tell you that I am about to order a $50 flip flop............FIFTY DOLLARS!! Why would you post a link to a $120 flip flop? The cutest one I've ever seen.

Red

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Awww, Red haha.. I didnt add the post to taunt you. I really feel for you.. hurting feet make everything hurt. I want you to feel good and feel great about how your feet look!

Keep the NAOT on the list for next season-- it's been around awhile and I don't expect this to be the year they are discontinued. I do think it will span more styles than a typical flip flop and as such may become more than a flip flop in your wardrobe. I think the patent leather styles are particularly cute.

Hoping you find a great, great looking shoe.

• susan209
    14 years ago

Boy, I would say if you have feet problems that is the Shoe place to look, pricey but I have never seen so many speciality shoes! At the Healthy Foot Store

• johnmari
    14 years ago

If it's not actively snowing or so hot I can't stand having my feet covered, I LIVE in my Naot clogs (the now-discontinued Saxony model). I need to send them off for refurbishment - they're a bit like Birkenstocks in that the insides can be taken out and replaced. The heels haven't worn down hardly at all in 5+ years of wear. Naots are too rich for my blood now but I am in total lust with the "Bramble" Mary Janes (I admit to a weakness for Mary Janes). I do have a "thing" that my short, crooked, sausagey toes must be covered but those Naot Orions are way cute.

So far this season I have bought 16 pairs of shoes. 15 of them have been returned. *sigh* That doesn't even count the water shoes I've been grumbling about in another thread - I spent almost 4 hours trying THOSE on today.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

jm, do you buy them at zappos ? I like the Orion but it doesn't come in a wider width.

how is it pronounced, nay ought , or not ... just curious.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

nay oat

• probookie
    14 years ago

Red, sorry to be so slow in responding! Didn't know this thread had picked up again.

I hope you haven't ordered the Orthaheels yet. I ordered my first pair (the Wave in blue/white) from the FootSmart website with no problems. But then I ordered pairs 2 & 3 (Wave in tan and black) from brightlifedirect, which has free shipping on items ordered through the website. That saves a nice piece of change! Hoping to order a Tide pair in white/navy patent when they get my size in stock again.

The black pair went with me to a 2-day conference recently. MUCH more standing and walking around than usual (both indoors and out), but my heel spurs didn't flare up at all.

I also tried a pair of the Orthaheel slides, but that style just didn't work for me. I gave them to my neighbor (who recently developed PF and has small feet for a guy) with the recommendation that he keep them by the bed and make it a habit to slip into them every time he gets up. He says they have made a world of difference to his feet.

I wore SAS sandals for decades, loved them, but couldn't wear them after developing PF.

johnmarie, "sausagey toes"! ROFL -- me too!

• johnmari
    14 years ago

I didn't notice that this thread had revived either, sorry! The pronunciation I've always heard for Naot is "nay ought", emphasis on the first syllable. I bought mine at a local shoe store 5+ years ago but even at Zappos prices they're still way too spendy for me these days (fifty bucks is about enough to start me shaking, especially with DH needing five pairs of running shoes a year at $125 a pop, plus one to two pairs of nice shoes for work). Zappos does have a good selection of them though. Naots do run quite wide IME - I normally wear a 8W or a 7.5WW but Naot's 8s are plenty wide enough for me.

• redbazel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found a store locally and bought the orthaheels in the wave style. They were almost $60 but I was able to try them in the store. However, after two weeks of wearing them around the house, I don't love them. I have a stress fracture on my left foot (nice mix with the plantar faciitis in the right) and the thong style seems to make it worse. I keep hoping it will heal and I can walk better again. I feel the support in the thong but the top of the shoe hurts my foot. Then my foot swells around it. Then, the swelling oozes over the top of the shoe and slides onto the floor. Then, the dog trips over it. I'm a mess.

Red

• probookie
    14 years ago

I feel just awful that I recommended a shoe to Red that didn't work for her, and I feel for her frustration and the waste of money. And part of the reason I feel terrible is because the shoe I advocated so strongly is not what Orthaheel is currently selling as the Wave flip-flop.

Last month, I ordered a Wave pair and a Tide and found I can't wear either one because OrthaheelUSA has redesigned the product! I measured them for comparison against my older ones. The strap is tighter, the footbed is a little softer and more padded, and the angles and hollows of the footbed are shallower (it's been made just a little flatter). But the worst part is--and I can't understand why they would do such a thing--the thong has been positioned one-quarter inch farther back from the front of the shoe, which means that the thong digs painfully between the toes and prevents the arch and heel from settling fully into the places designed to receive them. A noticeably larger amount of empty sole now extends beyond my toes (enough to be a tripping hazard).

The new flip-flops were so uncomfortable that I couldn't keep them on for even half a minute. For any other product, I would have shrugged philosophically and sent them back, but I was so concerned (actually, DH would probably describe it as enraged and distraught) about this threat to long-term physical health and well-being that I fired off emails to the place from which I ordered them, to OrthaheelUSA, and to the office of the Australian doctor who developed them.

The redesigned shoes are easily differentiated from the original ones by the Orthaheel logo on the bottom of the shoe---the old good one has ORTHAHEEL in all caps with a squiggly line under the first 4 letters (ORTH), whereas the new logo has larger letters all in lower case with the squiggle under the last 4 letters (heel).

If I wear the good flip-flops every day (first thing in the morning and last thing at night), the old Orthaheel design stabilizes my plantar fascitis and my feet NEVER hurt, even if I walk around barefoot for part of the day. I dread the day my old ones wear out and I return to the chronic pain and inflammation of heel spurs that I lived with before I bought my first pair of Orthaheel flip-flops.

Anyway, the vendor followed up on my anguished complaint, contacted the manufacturer, and responded as follows: "We learn something new every day! . . . There is a difference between the new foot bed and the old. Apparently, Orthaheel has moved to a new manufacturer (for better quality, they say). The variance on the foot bed is meant to be so slight that it should not be noticeable. Obviously it is for you."

Now I will try to locate a bunch of the old version of the flip-flops and stockpile enough of them to last 15 or 20 years. It illustrates something I must have forgotten: Just because you've found a perfect product, don't assume it will always be obtainable. And boy am I kicking myself.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

It's annoying when they modify something that was perfect.

• redbazel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Probookie, please don't feel bad. Your recommend I took into consideration, but I also read dozens of great Orthoheel reviews on some of the shoe sale sites. When I tried them on in the store, they weren't great, but every pair of (between the toe) flip flops I have ever tried, are not that good the first day or two. I figured they would be so good for my feet and I would get used to them.
    Not so much.......
    And I was kicking MYSELF that I threw out the box the first week. I figured there was no way I would return them. I should have handled this purchase the way I handle all other retail purchases......receipt and packaging retained until I know I'm happy.
    You will feel justified to hear that I do, in fact, have the new version---lower case letters with last 4 underlined.

Actually, I feel very relieved to read your words. It tells me that it's not just me. They are different shoes.

Red

• gardenergabe
    14 years ago

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for bedroom slippers with orthotic or some arch support (I have PF). I want something warmer than a flip flop. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

• redbazel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bumping up for all those who have more recommendations.

And I've bought a comfortable style very casual lounge shoe for a house shoe, then, placed my Powersteps in it for the orthotic benefit.

Red

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I suffer from PF and have wide,square, flat feet ( think duck) with some bunion problems. I also have bad knees. Glamorous, huh?

I found Onex shoes and that's all I buy now. I especially love Hazel for a low slip on wedge. I happen to have other styles from this brand as well, but Hazel is my go-to shoe for comfort.

I can walk for miles in these shoes. If you decide to buy, be sure to go a size larger. I normally wear a 7 but in Onex I need an 8.

They're not cheap, but well worth the price and they work with casual clothes as well as with outfits a bit dressier.

Here is a link that might be useful: hazel

• BriosaFarm
    14 years ago

Found this thread completely by accident but I'll share since I used to have a real problem with PF. I need good arch support and use Powerstep inserts in all athletic/walking shoes. Footbeds that fixed my feet and keep them going are Dansko clogs, Mephisto walking shoes, Mephisto Helen for thong sandals, some Naot footbeds (though I am needing more arch support these days if I'll be walking a lot) and Chacos for sandals, Haeflinger wool clog style for cold weather around the house.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Subject near and dear to my heart. Like MonaBlair, I have square feet. (MB, never heard anyone say that besides me!) I also have high arches which means I need support. I just bought a pair of Aravons, which is the shoe side of New Balance. I wore them to an all-day (and night) event at my daughter's school, with no break-in and they were great. Fantastic arch support, which is usually my biggest problem. DD still thinks they look like old lady shoes, but whatever! They look good with my new silver bag, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Aravon

• deborah1950
    13 years ago

Boy does this thread speak to me! I don't have a diagnosed foot problem, but I have been looking for cute comfortable shoes for years! I HAVE to have an arch and cannot tolerate a hard sole. Also cannot tolerate a negative heel or flat. I figure I must stomp when I walk -so I need cushioning. I wear adidas or asics most of the time since I work in an exercise facility. I refuse to wear anything that is not comfortable, therefore I have no cute shoes! Even ones people say are comfortable don't do it for me. Thanks for this thread-maybe I'll have some success!

• golddust
    13 years ago

Keene, Echo, Reiker, Dansko, Ecco, Earth, MBT. Try them all. One of these brands may work well for you. (We are comfort shoe people.)