SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
velodoug

Retiring an Old Friend (8'' square baking pan)

velodoug
16 years ago

One of the first purchases DW and I made together was an 8" square non-stick aluminum baking pan from the kitchen department at Macy's on Herald Square. After 43 years of regular use not much of non-stick coating is left, but a bit of butter and a bit of flour and it worked just fine - until yesterday.

I made a batch of bread pudding for a covered dish dinner and, as I've always done, I put the Pyrex bowl of pudding in the 8" square baking pan and poured in some boiling water. When I did that I noticed water dripping onto the hot door of the preheated oven. I assumed I'd spilled some water but it didn't stop dripping. I took the pans out, held the 8" square baking pan up to the light and saw pin holes in two of the corners. All those years of running a sharp knife around the edges of the cake or whatever had finally taken their toll.

DW and I talked about it a bit and agreed that even though it's the last piece of cookware remaining from our days in NYC it's time to discard it and buy a new one. Which brings me (finally) to the point of this note. I'm looking for recommendations for a good general-purpose 8" square metal baking pan. We have an 8" square Emile Henry ceramic pan that we use a lot for savory dishes so the metal pan is primarily for sweet recipes, like Swedish apple cake (and occasional use as a small bain marie).

Comments (11)