SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seagrass_gw

Cakes for an 8 inch x 8 inch pan?

My mother e-mailed a cake recipe to me this morning that came from her mother. I have been looking for things to bake for just the two of us, and a square 8" pan is perfect. I have a heavy metal non-stick pan and make cornbread in it. We manage to finish it and not throw any away.

Here is my grandmother's recipe. Can anyone share recipes for cakes in a small pan?

Grandma Buntain's Fresh Apple Cake

2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped

1 cup sugar

(Mix these together in a large bowl and set aside)

Sift together: 1 1/2 c. flour, 1 t. soda, 1/2 t. salt,

1 t. cinnamon, 1/2 t. nutmeg, 1/2 t. allspice

Melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine.

Beat 1 egg in a small bowl and stir in the cooled butter.

Add this to the apple/sugar mixture, stir to blend then add

the flour mixture, stir to blend.

Stir in 1/2 c. raisins and 1/2 c. nuts.

Pour into 8 x 8 pan. Bake 350 for 50-55 minutes.

Mom's note: "You can ice it but it is good just as is. YUM! I use real butter."

I would love a small version of carrot cake, or spice cake -and have been craving pineapple upside down cake. I cannot buy mixes here, so I bake from scratch. I do have American baking soda and baking powder.

Thanks!

seagrass

Comments (12)

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

An 8-inch square has almost exactly the same area as a 9-inch circle. So any recipe for a 9-inch 2-layer cake can be halved and baked in an 8-inch-square pan. You just have to watch it carefully because the corners can get overdone.

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

FYI -
    8x8x2-inch = 6 cups batter
    9x9x1-1/2-inch = 8 cups batter
    9x9x2-inch = 10 cups batter
    13x9x2-inch = 14 cups batter

8x1-1/2-inch round = 4 cups batter
    9x1-1/2-inch round = 6 cups batter

I also cook/bake for two. I have my mother's two 11x7-inch baking dishes and they work well for spliting a recipe that normally fits a 9x13-inch pan. One dish for eating and one for freezing. Great for casseroles - make/bake once and eat twice.

Someone on this board kindly shared the recipe for "The Fantabulous Whole Wheat Carrot Cake" (www.recipezaar.com/recipe/print?id=109547). I made 1/2 the recipe and baked it in a 9-inch square pan. I cut the cooled cake into 4 equal parts, and stacked them with my version of sugar-free cream cheese frosting between the layers and made a nice little torte. Cutting it into thin slices, it was perfect for serving 2 people.

For pineapple upside-down cake, here's a nice little recipe that you make in muffin cups - yet another option. Most cakes can easily be made into cupcakes for individual servings - and freeze the extra. I also divide recipes and bake them in loaf pans (I have a large assortment of loaf pans in different sizes) to get user-friendly sizes - and freeze the extra.

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN MINIS
    (Source: Dole Food Company, Inc.)

2 cans (20-oz. each) DOLE Pineapple Slices
    1/3 c. margarine, melted
    2/3 c. packed brown sugar
    9 maraschino cherries, cut in half
    1 package (18.25 oz.) yellor OR pineapple flavored cake mix

DRAIN pineapple; reserve juice. STIR together melted margarine and brown sugar. Evenly divide sugar mixture into 18 (2/3 cup-size) muffin cups, sprayed with cooking spray. Lightly press well drained pineapple slices into sugar mixture. Place cherries in center of pineapple, slice side up. PREPARE cake mix according to package directions, replacing amount of water called for with reserved juice. Pour 1/3 c. batter into each muffin cup. BAKE at 350F 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. COOL 5 minutes. Loosen edges and invert onto cookie sheets.

Makes 18 servings.

-Grainlady

• Related Discussions

8 inch pink

Q

Comments (14)
    Stunning!! Wonderful!! Beautiful!! I have room in my Daylily INN for a small baby if you have extras! I have seedlings in their 3rd year this year. You will really be amazed what your baby will be like next year. She is absolutely stunning now, but you will probably trip over your own feet when you see that first bloom next summer!!! I really didn't believe that another year could possibly make that much difference, but it really really does. So enjoy her now,and know that you have something really special in this young one. I think we all have Christmas morning every morning during daylily bloom season. I just looooooove it!! Blessing to all, Mona
    ...See More

2-inch step-down entering tiled 8x8 bathroom/shower room

Q

Comments (4)
    When we travel in Europe, we tend to stay in funky little places where the concept of efficient shower curtains doesn't seem to have penetrated. These are places where the bathrooms are all retrofitted from pre-indoor plumbing days. The floors get wet, the sink gets wet, the toilet (and TP) gets wet, water gets tracked out. It isn't a style I'd be eager to copy. On the other hand, it is where we discovered hand held shower hoses, which are the best!
    ...See More

Question on 8-inch and 4-inch Drilled Sink

Q

Comments (3)
    4" is the distance between the hot and cold valves it is a "center" measurment..which means that it is 4" center of hole to center of hole and 8" centers..means 8" c x c [center x center] and...there is usually a hole in the middle [center] for the spout to come thru so...if you buy a sink..and it says the holes are 8" centers then the faucet you buy,has to be 8" center also '''''''''''''''''' there are sinks that only have 1 hole these are used with a faucet that is a single mount
    ...See More

How to use a 6 inch pan on an 8 inch glass stovetop

Q

Comments (12)
    You might need a simmer plate - sometimes called a heat diffuser. Those should be $10-20 and made of a thick metal plate or cast iron. I have the larger size shown in this link Heat Diffuser. It sits between the pot and the element (gas burner for me). It's a thick piece of enamelled cast iron and will smooth out the heat level across the bottom of the pan. Even tho I have a simmer burner, I will place it between the burner and whatever pot to spread the heat out and get rid of an overly hot center.
    ...See More
  • jcrowley99
    16 years ago

8 x 8 is the perfect size for brownies! And instead of halving a cake recipe to fill the 8 x 8, if you have two pans, just freeze on of the cakes for another day. Cake freezes well, then you can just defrost it and ice it.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much for your responses. Freezing things is not really an option for us - the "freezer" (and refrigerator) are lilliputian. And I cannot buy cake mixes, brownie mixes, Bisquick, or any of the convenience items that people are used to in the States. Not that I bought or used those things before we came here. I was never one to bake.

I was just so happy to see my mother's recipe that would work for me here that I thought I'd pick your brains!

I have been baking more since we moved to Holland than I ever did, mainly so we can eat things familiar to us. I'm not into the gloppy super sweet confections that they have in the bakeries and grocery stores here.

The food here, generally, is not all that great. I know of the eGullet website and the Dutch woman that shares her recipes there (thank you, AnnT) but those foods do not appear on restaurant menus here. People ask us why we're living in Holland and I tell them "it's as close to France as we could get" LOL!

The country is beautiful, the flowers are awesome, but if you like to eat well - this is NOT the place for you!

seagrass

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

This is called "Crazy Cake." My grandmother used to make it. I found this online:

1 1/2 c white flour
    1/3 c unsweetened cocoa
    1 c sugar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt

1 c water or coffee
    1/2 c vegetable oil
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 tbsp vinegar (any old vinegar will do, though I grabbed a fancy red wine vinegar this time and it was particularly good)

1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips (optional, but what's not better with some chocolate chips?)

Preheat the oven to 375.

Combine the dry ingredients in an ungreased 8" square or 9" round baking pan. In a 2-cup measure, combine the water, oil and vanilla. Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork until smooth (make sure to get into the corners so that you don't get dry floury bites in the finished cake!). Now add the vinegar and stir quickly. There will be pale swirls in the batter from the baking soda and vinegar reacting. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. Bake for 25 minutes, cool a bit, and enjoy.

• craftyrn
    16 years ago

Here's a couple

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Heirlooms , Traditional & Ethnic

Mom's ( Melania) Graham Cracker Cake
    ====================================
    1 cup sugar
    ½ c. butter
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    1/3 cup flour
    1-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1 ½ teaspoon Baking powder
    2/3 cup chopped walnuts

2 teaspoons sugar
    1/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
    . Preheat oven 375°-grease & flour 8 in. sq. cake pan.

Cream butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla---mix in combined flour, graham
    cracker crumbs & baking powder alternating with the milk & beating
    well-fold in chopped nuts.

Bake 40-45 min.when removed from oven immediately sprinkle with
    combined sugar & nutmeg.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This one does well if you only do a 1/2 recipe:

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Heirlooms , Traditional & Ethnic

Gram Lynch's Dark Choc Cake
    ===========================
    Cream together well --( at least five minutes or so )
    3/4 c. lard or butter
    2 large fresh eggs
    2 c. sugar
    1 spoonful real vanilla

Sift 2 c. flour then stir flour together with:
    1 c. good dark cocoa
    1 spoonful salt
    1 spoonful baking powder

Stir this flour mixture into creamed ingred-- mix well 'til smooth & no fat show

In lrg bowl place 2 spoonfuls of baking soda & pour 2 c. boiling water over-
    stir once to dissolve b. soda & immediately pour over other ingred. Mix well .
    Pour into greased & floured cake pans or a large 9 x 13 or so dish ..

Oven 375 or so-- bake 20- 30 minutes depending on size of pans .
    . ** My notes: this recipe is from my paternal Grandmother-- she seldom
    actually measured anything & if she did she used a regular coffee/
    tableware spoon and a ceramic coffee cup . Her flour bin was in an
    upper cupboard & had a funneled sifter thing on the bottom so her flour
    was always sifted as she used it .

I always get a smile & fond memory of Gram when I make this cake-- I
    can just hear her telling my Mom how to make it & Mom writing it down .
    ( specially the bit about fresh eggs ) . I 've always used Fleischman's
    original margarine in this recipe ( tho Mom used lard that we had
    rendered ourselves -- in the oven in big roaster & Darn the house
    smelled for days afterward ) -- and any cocoa works . My "spoonful" is
    a measured tsp and it's always come out great -- tho I don't always
    sift the flour & I'm not sure how "fresh " my eggs are :) -- certainly
    not as fresh as Gram's who kept chickens . I've used both AP & cake
    flour -- doesn't seem to make a difference . I only do 1/2 a recipe &
    bake in a 8 x 8 pan . I use cocoa to "flour" my pan .

Also this is a VERY runny batter -- don't be fooled into thinking you
    measured wrong or that it needs more flour!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the recipes. I'm going to do some baking this month! It's raw, dark and dreary here and the clouds are almost on the ground. At least the house will smell good and cozy.

seagrass

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

I believe this was posted by Annie (correct me if I'm wrong, I saved before I started including names, before I knew I was addicted to this site!!)

It calls for a 9 x 9 pan, but it works fine in a 8 x 8 too.

HOT FUDGE PUDDING CAKE (Fantastic! Quick and Easy)

1 cup flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tbls cocoa
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup milk
    2 tbls vegetable oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup nuts (optional)
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 3/4 cup hottest tap water

Heat oven to 350. Mix flour, sugar, 2 tbls cocoa, baking powder and salt in an ungreased square pan, 9x9x2 inches.

Mix in milk, oil and vanilla with fork until smooth.
    Stir in nuts, if used.

Spread in pan, sprinkle with brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa. Pour hot water carefully over batter.

Bake 40 minutes. While still warm, spoon into dessert dishes and top with ice cream. Spoon sauce from pan onto each serving.
    9 servings (and only one pan to wash!!)

Deanna

• soonergrandmom
    16 years ago

Deanna - I also make Chocolate Pudding Cake and I am a "nut" for pecans, but I don't like them in this dish. I think it has too much moisture and it changes their texture. I would probably like them sprinkled on top at serving time.

seagrass - My favorite pineapple upside down cake is to use a soft gingerbread instead of cake. Great taste combo.

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

seagrass -

You can quickly and easily make your own Bisquick (aka baking mix) substitute with a few simple ingredients (see link below). Even if you only make a small amount at a time, you'll find it a great "convenience" food to have on hand. There are all kinds of Bisquick recipes that fit in 8x8-inch pans.

CAPPUCCINO CHOCOLATE COFFEE CAKE
    1/3 c. flaked coconut
    1/4 c. chopped nuts
    1/4 c. sugar
    1 T. margarine or butter, melted
    2 c. Bisquick (or your homemade version of it)
    1/4 c. sugar
    2 T. margarine or butter, melted
    2/3 c. water or milk
    1 egg
    1/3 c. semisweet chocolate chips, melted
    2 t. powdered instant coffee (dry)

1. Heat oven to 400°F. Grease square pan, 8x8x2-inches. Mix coconut, nuts, 1/4 c. sugar and 1 T. butter; set aside.

2. Mix baking mix, 1/4 c. sugar, 2 T. butter, the water and egg; beat vigorously 30 seconds. Spread batter in pan. Mix chocolate and coffee; spoon over batter. Lightly swirl chocolate mixture through batter several times with knife for marbled design. Sprinkle coconut mixture evenly over top.

3. Bake 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm. Yields: 9 servings.
    ---------------------------------

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE

TOPPING:

2 tbsp. butter
    1/4 c. brown sugar
    1 can drained pineapple
    6 cherries

Melt 2 tablespoons butter over low heat in a 9" round pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange pineapple slices and place a cherry in the middle of each. Set aside.

CAKE:

1 1/3 c. Bisquick
    3/4 c. milk
    1/2 c. white sugar
    3 tbsp. butter
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla

Mix Bisquick, vanilla, sugar, milk, egg and butter and beat well. Pour over pineapple. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

To remove cake, invert at once. Allow pan to remain over cake for a few minutes, then slowly remove. Serves 6.

-Grainlady

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Deanna, that was my recipe all right. Grandma made it when I was growing up and it was always one of my favorites.

Soonergrandmom, I don't know about the nuts changing texture, I almost never add the nuts because I don't like nuts baked in things. Not in banana bread or in cookies or in that hot fudge pudding cake, not even in fudge. Odd, I suppose, since I like nuts by themselves. Hmmm.....

OK, a cake recipe for that 8x8 pan. Oh yeah, gingerbread! I just love it, and I love maple too, so this was right up my alley....

OLD-FASHIONED GINGERBREAD WITH MAPLE WHIPPED CREAM
    Yields one 8x8 inch cake.

If you like, dust the gingerbread with confectioners' sugar and present it on a platter. It's homey enough though to serve straight from the baking dish.

1-3/4 cups plus 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
    2-1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    Pinch salt
    5 Tbs. butter, softened at room temperature
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 large egg
    3/4 cup dark molasses
    3/4 cup cold water
    1 cup heavy cream (not ultra pasteurized, if possible)
    1/4 cup maple syrup

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8x8 inch cake pan. Sift together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until light and creamy. Add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pour in the molasses in a slow, steady stream, beating all the while. Add half of the sifted dry ingredients and mix just until well combined. Mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Slowly pour in the cold water and stir until well incorporated.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the pan about 1 hour before serving.

Beat the cream until thickened. Slowly pour in the syrup and continue beating until the cream holds soft peaks. Cut the cake into squares; serve with the whipped cream.

I also use a small pan like that 8x8 pan for fruit cobblers and crisps, since there are only Ashley and I here. Grandma's Blueberry Crisp would fit in nicely, can be adapted to use apples, peaches or cherries or whatever else you like and can get readily. I use frozen fruit all winter to make it too.

Blueberry Crisp-Grandmas
    ================
    3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, unsweetened
    2 tbls lemon juice
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1/3 cup butter, softened
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    Heat oven to 375. Arrange berries in ungreased square baking dish (8 inch) and sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine remaining ingredients until crumbly. (I use a pastry blender, grandma used two knives). Crumble topping over berries and bake until topping is lightly browned and berries are hot, about 30 minutes. Makes 4-6 servings.

Annie

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you again for your generous responses. I'm grateful (and homesick LOL!)

seagrass