SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyrkb

Dating While Divorcing

kimberlyrkb
11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

My 45 year old best friend from college - let's call her Mary - found out from her husband 7 weeks ago that he wants a divorce after almost 8 years of marriage. Their marriage hadn't been super strong all along, and now he wants out. Apparently he's been having an affair for at least 6 months. Due to their circumstances, they have to live in the same house until this is all over. (Mary's attorney has advised her not to leave yet.) Things are ugly between them and they're arguing quite a bit. There is no chance this marriage will be saved.

Mary has joined match.com and says she just wants to have coffee with people, get out of the house (she doesn't work), be distracted, feel attractive and have a reason to "keep herself up." I think this is a really bad idea. Guys looking for love on match.com are interested in dating or sex. They're likely not looking for friends. Both my husband and I have tried to counsel her that she's not ready - she's still on the roller coaster ride of raw emotions, calling me crying quite often, and her divorce won't be final until later this summer.

I told Mary that if I were in her shoes, the last thing I would want to do is date right now. She agreed and said if she were in her right mind, she probably wouldn't be interested in doing so. I say THAT is good enough reason not to date - in her right mind she wouldn't.

I used match.com myself back in the day, before I met my husband through friends. It was fun and I never felt unsafe, so I'm not worried about that aspect of it. But am I wrong to be concerned about Mary dating already? At this point, I'm pretty much butting out and not giving her my opinions on the matter anymore, since she's so set on putting herself out there, but I'm curious what you all think.

Thanks!
Kimberly

Comments (18)