SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Dat's A Wrap -------------- Eat Yer Heart Out :-)

I saved this one till last. I am not posting in the other V.D. thread because I want this to be a special thread. I am dedicating this dish to Teresa.

On behalf of many people here, thank you Teresa for your generosity. You are many people's Valentine. "Here is looking at you, kid." You are a sweet heart. For me you have made cooking fun, delicious, and educational.

-------------------------------

Eat yer heart out guys! I still have some wild rice left. :-)

More than just playing with recipes, I have learned something about real wild rice, and Native American history and culture. To my surprise, I also learned something interesting while Googling. I found out that wild rice is also cultivated in China, except they don't use the rice grains. Instead, they use the stems, which they call "Water bamboo" or" jiaobai".

I have had jiaobai a few times before, but never realized that it was part of wild rice. I always thought this delicacy was some kind of bamboo shoot. I decided to marry these two fascinating foods, wild rice with wild rice stems (jiaobai).

One traditional way the Chinese cook their rice is to wrap it in some kind of leaves, which are not banana leaves. The leaves infuse a very delectable flavor to the rice. I have done wild rice in many different flavors. For this one I decided to try it with Chinese wrapping leaves. (Anyone know what kind of leaves these are?)

The dish came out nice. A confluence of ethnographic culinary delights. For those of you who had not sampled remarkable jiaobai before, it is reminiscent of asparagus, except better. Crunchy, delicate, tender, pleasantly earthy like wild rice.

----------------------------------------------

That wraps up my long Valentine's Day cooking.

dcarch

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH