SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

LOTS of feta

caliloo
15 years ago

My neighbor was in NYC last weekend and went to her fav Greek Deli/Market and brought me a huge chunk of Feta! What the heck do I do with it? DH and I like a little in a salad once in a while, but this has to be a 3 lb wedge and we will never finish it!

I am going to make Chase's Spanikopita, but what else?

TIA

Alexa

Comments (15)

• mustangs81
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is an easy one:
    Feta Crostini
    Combine 1/2 cup each feta cheese, butter, and cream cheese. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1 clove garlic; minced. Spread on slightly toasted baguette as above and return to oven for another 5 minutes.

OR

Greek Potato Salad

2 pounds small red potatoes
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    cup sliced ripe olives
    2 stalks celery, diagonally sliced
    2 oz jar pimentos
    1/1 cup minced green onions
    ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tsp oregano
    ½ tsp salt
    1/3 cup olive oil

Cut potatoes into ½ inch slices and place in a steamer. Steam potatoes for 8 minutes of until tender. Toss steamed potatoes with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and let cool. Drain lemon juice from potatoes.

Add olives, celery, pimento, onions, and cheese. Toss gently.

Combine 3 tablespoons lemon juice, oregano, salt, and olive oil. Pour over salad and toss.

• cookie8
    15 years ago

Here's my fave...
    1/2 cup crumbled feta
    1 finely chopped garlic clove
    1/4 finely chopped red pepper
    red pepper flakes (for your level of spiciness)
    parsley (for some extra colour)
    olive oil
    Mix all these together, add olive oil until covered and serve over sliced baquette. So good. I was at garlic fest one year and bought a container of this and just kind of copied it. Occasionally I add a little balsamic to it. I'm also guessing at how much of each ingredient as I always just eyeball it.

• Related Discussions

What Do You Eat That Might Odd to Others?

Q

Comments (99)
    It is referred to in our home as "peanie bunkle", and I am under orders from my husband to hide it from him and mete it out in reasonable portions as an occasional treat because if he sees the jar, he will eat it...all of it. It is the only reward that will convince Emily M.Scampercat to forget her umbrage at having her nails clipped...peanie bunkle distracts her from any irritation. As for radish sandwiches, I like them open faced,on a slice of good, crusty french bread, thickly sliced and thickly slathered with butter...sprinkled with salt&pepper. If there is a glass of wine and some strawberries or grapes in the picture, so much the better. Oooh, luxury though is the same meal, but with the bread spread with soft, aged brie instead of butter. Mmmmmm.
    ...See More

Everything You Need To Know About Feta

Q

Comments (11)
    I think the article was misnamed - there is a lot more to know about feta than what is there, and I did not see anything in it that I did not already know. I did find a link to more info after the end of the first article, which was barely an introduction, much less an "everything" article! I usually buy Bulgarian sheep's milk feta, partly because it is so easy to find, and my biggest problem is deciding which brand to choose. I have to go a bit further to buy Greek feta, but I do not like it any better than the Bulgarian, and the Bulgarian is much cheaper, as the article says. I generally always have feta on hand - I love to mix it in cucumber and tomato salads, especially when I have tomatoes in my back yard, as I do now. I only use Persian cucumbers in that salad. Lars
    ...See More

Feta, please explain

Q

Comments (22)
    Funny you say it was like cream cheese, because we just had the same experience with some I bought recently. It was by Ezra Dairy. It came in a blue tub with the brine and the cheese suspended in it on a plastic older. We are Greek and found it to not be feta-like at all, but it was still good. It was like cream cheese, not crumbly at all. I mixed it into a salad and it almost dissolved into the dressing. It was very good actually, but not at all like traditional feta. If I remember correctly, it was cow's milk.
    ...See More

Latest Tik Tok craze; baked feta, tomatoes and pasta

Q

Comments (28)
    I don't especially like cellentani pasta, and I would also substitute something else like bows or shells, or even rotini. The only tube pasta I like is rigatoni, and it has a much larger opening. Cellentani is too much like elbow macaroni, which I never eat - one of the few pastas that I actively dislike. I do love feta, and I put some in a salad I made last week-end with a fresh Ranch style dressing made with fresh dill, fresh parsley (from my yard), fresh garlic, black pepper, lemon juice, and mayo. Normally, Ranch dressing is made with all dried ingredients instead of the fresh ones I listed, but I prefer the fresh flavor. Also, I thin it with lemon juice instead of buttermilk. I would have added a bit of sour cream if I had had it. I started with a large brick of Greek feta, but normally I buy Bulgarian feta, as that is what I find at the Middle Eastern market. I'm not sure why the recipe added salt to the tomatoes - there was plenty of salt in the feta for the entire recipe. I would use a smaller portion of pasta and use rotini pasta. I don't think I would like it with Brie, as that would melt and run all over the place and be very messy. I might also add some red chili flakes to it also.
    ...See More
  • dreamhouse1
    15 years ago

Tiropitakia or bourekakia - tiropita is basically spanikopita w/o the spinach - just cheese and eggs; bourekia has the addition of Gruyere with the feta and they are rolled instead of folded. My mom makes tiropita in a sheet actually and we cut it into squares - less labor intensive than folding each triangle and I think you get more cheese than phyllo.

Is the feta strong, crumbly, 'wet', salty? Kind of depends on what you've got on what exactly to do with it...it's all good though!

• deniseandspike
    15 years ago

Feta is wonderful in quiche. You can make the quiche up and freeze it in slices so it doesn't go bad.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

These burgers are delicious!

Feta Cheese Turkey Burgers

Ingredients:
    1 pound ground turkey
    1 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
    1. Preheat the grill for medium high heat.
    2. In a large bowl, combine turkey, feta cheese, olives, oregano, and pepper. Mix together, and form into patties.
    3. Lightly oil the grate. Place patties on the grill. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, turning halfway through.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

This one will make a dent in your stash. I end up using way more than the 8 oz called for.

Jkom51s BILs Roasted Red Pepper/Feta Quiche

(1) Double Pate Brisee crust from Silver Palate for a 9x13 pan:

Ingredients:

3 C Flour
    1 tsp Salt
    pinch Sugar
    1 1/3 stick butter, chilled (5.3 oz)
    6 Tbsp Shortening, chilled
    1/2 C ice water

Sift the flour, sugar and salt together into a bowl; add butter and shortening and cut them into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture is like coarse meal. Sprinkle on and blend in enough ice water to make a workable dough, mixing water in lightly with a fork. Turn dough out onto your work surface and, using the heel of your hand, smear the dough away from you, about 1/4 cup at a time. Scrape up the smeared dough into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Unwrap dough, place on floured work surface, and pound it a few times with your rolling pin to soften it. Roll out 1/8-inch thick, or to desired thickness. Drape dough over a 9x13 Pyrex pan; ease it into the pan without stretching, pat into place, trim off excess, and crimp edge if desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400F. Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and prick the bottom and sides well with a fork. Line the pan with foil or wax paper; fill with beans, rice, or pastry weights to weight the crust. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the dough is just beginning to color. Remove from oven, remove weights and lining, and cool slightly.

(2) Filling

Drop oven temp to 375F.

1 small bunch chopped scallions, white and green parts (or onions species your choice)
    1 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped
    1 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained
    8 oz feta cheese
    Six eggs
    1 C Half & half
    1 Tbsp herb seasoning such as savory, thyme, Italian herb mix
    Fresh ground pepper (there is enough salt in the feta)

Sauté scallions in butter/oil your choice until slightly wilted. Add spinach and further cook until wilted. Remove from heat and cool, move to a large bowl. Chop roasted red peppers and feta and add to the bowl. Mix in the eggs, Half and Half, and herbs/pepper. Pour filling into the baked crust, and bake 30 - 45 minutes or until set. Remove from oven, serve.

• lisazone6_ma
    15 years ago

You can always freeze it for later use. I find that when I use it to make spanikopita or put it in salads after freezing it really doesn't make a difference. There might be some uses where freezing changes the texture too much, but I've never had a problem.

Another way I use feta is for a pasta dish I love - again, I don't usually measure and with this recipe you can add more or less, substitute other things, and it still works.

To boiled and drained penne or other favorite pasta, add the following:

Chop or thinly slice some sun dried tomatoes in oil or if you only have dried, reconstitute them by soaking in hot water a while until soft, then proceed (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup for a pound of pasta). The original recipe used fresh chopped tomato, but I prefer the sun dried. Pit and chop some oil cured olives or Kalamata, or whatever you have on hand or prefer - you really need a flavorful olive, however. Canned plain black olives probably won't add enough flavor, but you can certainly use them (again, maybe 1/4 cup of strong olives, 1/2 of the plain black). Set the olives and tomatoes aside for now. Heat a few tblsp olive oil in a saute pan, add some chopped garlic - I love garlic so I usually add 4-5 cloves - and saute a few minutes making sure it doesn't brown or heaven forbid, burn! Add about a cup of chicken stock and a splash of white wine & simmer a minute or two. Add a bag of FRESH spinach, baby or regular, - I've tried using frozen and it just does not work - and saute until wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour spinach mixture over cooked pasta, add in the sun dried tomatoes and olives and mix thoroughly. Crumble a cup of so of feta cheese into the pasta and give a quick stir to mix in and serve.

The longest part of this dish is pitting the olives - it can be thrown together in literally 10 minutes. It'll take longer for the water to boil for the pasta!

Lisa

• twoyur
    15 years ago

this won't use up much but it is what I am having for dinner tonight

Note: this is the original recipe I have used fresh tomatoes and played around with amounts but this is pretty good as is. Also I do find I need a bit of the pasta water to thin the sauce this if I use the sun dried tomatoes

Angel Hair with feta and capers

1 T olive oil
    1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil roughly chopped
    2-3 garlic cloves minced (use more or less to taste)
    1/2 teas dried oregano
    3/4 cup crumbled feta
    2 teas capers
    1/4 teas lemon juice
    l lb angel hair

Cook pasta until al dente

In a sauté pan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic and tomato and sauté for 2 minutes. Add oregano and saute for 1 minute. Add the feta capers and lemon . Remove from heat.
    Toss feta mixture with the angel hair and serve.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

If you still have any eftover after all these great ideas, I'll try to remember to post my Greek Chicken with Pasta recipe when I get home tonight. It's wonderful and very fast to get on the table!

And Greek Salad is one of my favorites, too. All fresh and crunchy and dilly and good! LOL

Linda

• jade.d
    15 years ago

Feta and Watermelon Salad
    Yield: 6
    Ingredients:

* 1/4 medium sized watermelon
    * 1/2 cup crumbled feta (125 ml)
    * 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley (15 ml)
    * freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
    * 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (5 ml)

Directions:

1. Cut twelve wedges of watermelon so that the wedges are ½-inch thick and shaped roughly in 3 x 3 x 3-inch triangle with rind removed.
    2. In a medium bowl, combine the feta, parsley, black pepper and olive oil. Toss gently to combine.
    3. Sprinkle watermelon wedges with some of the feta mixture. Serve immediately. (optional add ins - onions, olives)
  • doucanoe
    15 years ago

I'm home.....here you go. I make it with chicken more often than with shrimp, but both are good.

GREEK-STYLE PASTA WITH SHRIMP

1/4 cup olive oil
    4 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
    1 1/2 cups drained canned artichoke hearts, chopped
    1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
    1/2 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
    12 ounces angel hair pasta or linguine

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Add shrimp and sauté until almost cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add artichokes, feta, tomatoes, lemon juice, parsley and oregano and sauté until shrimp are cooked through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer pasta to large bowl.

Add shrimp mixture to pasta and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Serves 4.
    Bon Appétit
    June 1995

My notes: This is also good with chicken in place of the shrimp. Add cheese last and do not cook longer than instructions.

Greek Country Salad 2 c torn romaine leaves 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced 1 medium tomato cut in wedges 1/2 medium cucumber, thinly sliced 1/2 medium green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced 12 pitted black olives, sliced 1 T extra virgin olive oil 2 tsp capers, drained & rinsed 1 tsp white wine vinegar 1 tsp fresh lemon juice 1/2 tsp chopped fresh dill 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled In medium salad bowl, combine lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber, green pepper and olives. Refrigerate until well chilled. In small bowl, combine oil, capers, vinegar, lemon juice and dill, mixing well. Toss with salad ingredients and top with feta cheese. Serve immediately.

And a couple of bonuses, both T&T.....

Greek Orzo Salad

1c uncooked orzo
    2c chopped cucumber
    1-1/2c cherry tomatoes, quartered
    1c feta cheese,crumbled
    1/2c chopped onion
    1/2c chopped fresh parsley
    1/2c chopped black olives
    2tsp salt
    1/4tsp pepper

Dressing:
    1/3c extra virgin olive oil
    1/3c lemon juice
    1tsp minced garlic
    ½ tsp salt
    1/4tsp pepper

Cook orzo, cool, place in bowl with prepared vegetables. Toss with dressing and chill

Greek Pasta Salad My own recipe 1 lb medium pasta shells 3\-4 stalks celery, diced 1/2 c sliced black olives 1/2 c chopped red pepper 1c mayonnaise 1/2c bottled italian dressing 6\-8 oz feta cheese, crumbled 4\-6 oz parmesan cheese, grated oregano and pepper to taste Cook pasta until tender. In large bowl, combine pasta, celery black olives and red pepper. Set aside. Combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Fold together pasta and vegetables with dressing. Serve chilled. Linda
  • sprout26
    15 years ago

I made this once, being the lazy gal that I am, I cut a pocket in the chicken instead of rolling. I've also seen versions with sun dried tomatoes and olives, also spinach added so it's something you can play around with.

So this is where I got the orzo recipe, it is my favorite! Add toasted pine nuts for over the top.

Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken

INGREDIENTS
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded thin
    4 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup feta cheese
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 teaspoons dried dill weed
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
    TO MAKE FILLING: In a large bowl beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the feta cheese, dill weed and garlic powder. Beat until smooth and creamy.
    Put a dollop of 1/4 of the filling on each breast, then roll and tie the breasts with cooking string to seal. Brush each breast with melted butter/margarine and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the juices run clear.

• caliloo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the great ideas! We will be eating a lot of Greek over the next several days I think...... but they all sound fantastic. I am going to let DH pick and I will let you know which ones we start with.

Thanks
    Alexa

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

I'm late to the party, but I don't post much during the work week. Here's my greek pasta recipe--beloved by kids for the most part. It gets a little dry the next day for reheating, but just add a little milk and it gets creamy again.

Baked Greek Pasta and Cheese

1 lb. spaghetti
    1 lb. feta cheese or well salted ricotta, crumbled
    4 TBLSP melted butter
    3 eggs beaten
    1 TBLSP minced parsley
    1 tsp. ground nutmeg

Break spaghetti into thirds. Cook in two quarts boiling water for 6-8 minutes. Mix all other ingredients together. Add spaghetti when cooked. Place in greased baking dish (recipe doesn't say the size, I use a med. sized one, not my 15 inch one). Bake in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes until top becomes golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

Note: you can top this with bread crumbs and olive oil if you really want to. You can doll it up with chopped olives, sundried tomatoes or grated carrots if you want to go gourmet. Plain is best, IMHO.

• socal_ann
    15 years ago

I am almost embarrassed to post this because it sounds crazy on paper but I love feta with fruit and I love the watermelon & feta recipe that jade.d posted above. This is my own concoction for sweet, salty, juicy and crunchy. I measure by eye and make enough for a large cereal size bowl

Fruit Salad with Feta:
    Cut fruit into bite sizes:
    1 orange segmented and juice from segmenting
    1/4 banana
    Add
    blueberries
    pistachios
    5 Kalamata olives - pitted and chopped fine
    Feta cheese - crumbled
    few grinds of whole black pepper

I change up the fruits depending upon what's fresh - I like adding pineapple sometimes, mango, raspberries. But the base is really the citrus fruit, feta, black olives, and black pepper.

Okay it still sounds odd on paper but I like it :>