SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Maple Syrup from Annie - Major Surprise!!

Lars
15 years ago

Yesterday I arrived home to find a surprise package from Annie on my doorstep - a small box containing a generous pint jar of "Grade B" maple syrup!! She said she remembered that I've never had this - in fact, I've never had maple syrup at all except the very light kind, and it tasted very different. She also said that this came from a local sugarbush (whatever that is), but I don't know who harvested it. I don't even know when maple harvesting season is, since I've never lived anywhere near maple trees, that I know of. MQ once sent me some maple leaves, which I still have, to show me the color they change in autumn.

Kevin said that the syrup Annie sent is worth quite a bit because it is such a large quantity. He had real maple syrup when he lived in Albany, but he said he'd never had any like this. To me, it has a pecan flavor and reminds me of pecan pie or pecan pralines, both of which I love and remind me of my childhood. Kevin is anxious for me to make waffles for the syrup, and so maybe that will happen tomorrow - but at dinner instead of breakfast. I think I would like to make some crêpes as well.

Annie suggested that the syrup is good in AnnT's maple fudge, but I don't know if I'm ready for that yet. I like the syrup so much just as it is that I want to wait before using it in a recipe. I think it would be very good in a recipe with pecans because I think it would enhance their flavor, and I wonder if there is a recipe for maple pecan pralines. I would definitely be interested in making something like that. Okay, maybe this recipe might be good. I would leave out the salt, as I do not like salt with sugar.

Thanks so much, Annie, for such a wonderful and unexpected surprise!! It really makes me feel special to receive such a gift from you!

Lars

Comments (10)