SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgranara

Guys, I need some serious help.

dgranara
14 years ago

I can feel myself going off the deep end here. I'll apologize in advance, because there is NO way to turn this into a short story. I really, really just need some support and advice because I can't handle this anymore.

My mother and father are in the middle of a slightly contentious (not knock-down, drag-out) divorce. My dad has had a girlfriend for a little over a year and while I'm not crazy about her, I've been nothing but gracious to her and would never have told her or my father how I felt. My father is a 30+ year alcoholic who hit rock-bottom a week ago. I believe it had to do with a letter I wrote to him about my childhood. Anyway, he agreed (finally!) to go into rehab. My siblings and I were so proud! And my sister and I drove up to visit him on Sunday night. When we got there, his girlfriend was already there and made no move to give us any time alone, so we all just started talking about "safe" topics. Nothing unusual, nothing surprising. The next day I got the following email from my dad's girlfriend (who is a recovering alcoholic herself):

Danielle,

I am writing this out of concern for your father's health and well-being.

Minutes after you arrived at the rehab center (when your father was down the hall getting you a chair) I told you how well he was doing, and you responded bitterly that he should have done this 20 years ago.

I was speechless --- that in light of this huge step he has taken, you could still be holding on to that anger.

And then, when your Dad came back, you spent the next five minutes complaining about how difficult it was to get there --- how the directions I left you were useless, about how many times you got lost...

Weren't you there to try to make him feel better?!?

Danielle, feeling guilty for never doing enough or not doing things right is one of the big reasons your father drank. He couldn't make your mother happy, but he didn't want to leave his kids --- so he drank to drown out his feelings of inadequacy. Now he gets vilified for that. He made the biggest decision of his life --- to go into the hospital and get help --- and what do you do? Give him grief for not calling YOU first instead of me, because YOU are his daughter and I am "not family"! Instead of being loving and supportive and encouraging about him doing something to save his life, you try to make him feel bad because he didn't put your feelings first. (Think about it rationally: not only have I been sober 23 years, but I have been there for him every single day since we met and have ALWAYS made him a priority... something not one of his children --- his actual "family" --- can say.)

If you truly love your father and want him to stay sober and be happy, then you need to deal with your own issues and learn to be unconditionally loving and supportive towards him while he works hard to deal with his. I have known for a long time that --- unlike the rest of his family who are grateful I am in his life --- his daughters have resented me. The comments you have made, the way you have acted, all suggest that you think I have taken your father away from you...

Not so. I have simply helped him stay away from an unhealthy environment where there is always a lot of drinking going on. In-between parties and get-togethers, I have repeatedly encouraged him to call you and see you. But it seems almost every time we have tried to include you in a gathering that doesn't include partying, you are all busy. That has been very painful for him. All he wanted for his last birthday --- the first one he was sober for! --- was a quiet dinner at your house... no party, no fanfare --- and last-minute you cancelled those plans and told him we could meet you at Billy's for leftovers from a party your father can't even be invited to anymore due to the divorce. You couldn't have hurt him any more deeply if you had intentionally tried. But we went to Billy's anyway --- despite how difficult it was for your father to be around people drinking --- because it was that important to him to see you.

I love your father so much, and because of that and my belief in him as a good person with a loving heart have stuck by him through a lot of broken promises and lies... my son and I have hoped and prayed that he would get to where he is now so that we could all be healthier and happier together... and my family and Kenny's family and our friends are all willing to do whatever we can to help and support him when he gets back to the real world (including forgiving him for any prior transgressions and giving him a clean slate). That real world involves a lot of unavoidable challenges, but he is being taught that he can and needs to steer clear of stress and negativity whenever possible. Please don't make him feel like he has to steer clear of you --- he loves you and needs you on his side.

XXXXXXX

I was so floored! I can't even begin to tell you how much of that email came out of thin air. I myself don't drink - other than a very, very rare glass of wine or beer (probably due to the fact that I grew up with an alcoholic). Is this woman trying to drive a wedge between me and my dad? My head is just spinning and the blood is pulsing in my ears. I've sent her a reply email - and at this point we're just going back and forth with me telling her she just doesn't know the "whole story" of our past and her insisting that me and my siblings are bad for my dad. I feel like I've been cheated out of a father for 30 years and now that he's actively trying to get better I'm going to be cheated out of that too. I have no idea how to handle this woman.

I'm sorry if this isn't appropriate here, but my brother and sisters are too close to the situation to be objective.

Comments (19)