SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
audra3380

Need some SERIOUS help with my exterior... disaster.

Audra
5 years ago
There was a miscommunication between the home builder and the architect about the exterior of our home. we really wanted our custom home to have some accents of that modern wood paneling. similar to the photo below..

So here is what we're working with. The wood paneling stops/butts up right to the window on the left side. On the right of the house, it stops half way. I HATE it so much I'm even considering ripping off all the wood.

My question is at this point, would it be better to keep it as is, continue the paneling all around the house, or just get rid of it completely?

At this point we are not working with the architect any longer for obvious reasons...

Comments (56)

• User
    5 years ago

The house designed is not really a classic asymmetrical pure modern home. It’s NeoEclectic. Just using dark windows and slapping on some wood is not going to make it into anything close to your inspiration. You would be better served by doing an all stucco house. If the builder knows how to do that.

• lyfia
    5 years ago

Right now the only place where I can see it working as a small accent is on the second story that is recessed. There is not other good stopping point or you do the whole top floor and skip the recessed part.

• Related Discussions

I need some serious help with my Elberta Peach trees

Q

Comments (2)
    I hope thisisme's hunch is wrong. Sound like a possible nitrogen deficiency to me. I'd suggest gathering a bagful of dropped leaves and sending them to your extension service's laboratory. Your ccunty agent can give you the address and price for diagnosis. Misterbaby.
    ...See More

My lawn needs some serious help

Q

Comments (1)
    "= at this point should I rake up all of the remaining hay?" Nope. Leave it. It will break down and provide nutrients and organic matter. "= shortly my yard is going to be in a lot of shade, trees are budding as we speak and my lot is mostly "wooded"...any advice for dealing with the shade?" I'd plant fine fescues (creeping red, chewing, hard fescue) in the shaded areas. One mix I've read good reviews about is Bonny Dunes. If you google on Bonny Dunes grass seed, you should find a number of places on line that carry it. "=should I put more seed down now? if so what kind of grass seed should I be looking for?" I'd wait until fall to see how the grass is doing. If it needs to be reseeded, use something like Bonny Dunes for the shade. "= and to top it off, we have dogs that use that portion of the yard. " Oops. The grass will probably suffer no matter what, unless the dogs are small and/or the lawn is large. I've got a pretty good sized dog and she doesn't tear up the lawn too badly, but I've had to learn to live with a dirt track around the back yard where she likes to run around the lawn sometimes.
    ...See More

Need help on some serious apartment drama

Q

Comments (3)
    Agree with camlan, a lot depends on who is listed on the lease. If it's your male friend, I don't really get the need to sign a paper saying the sister is out. If the sister that signed the paper is on the lease, the proper way to handle her being out would rewrite a new lease removing her name and replace (or leave) remaining occupants on the lease. Benefits all parties. Exiting occupant is no longer responsible for rent, damages etc. and remaining parties are assured the exiting occupant has no legal access to the place. One thing to check though as far as getting put out on the street (and where that signed paper might apply) are state residency laws. Those vary, maybe not even all states have them. As I understand, sometimes it's a small window of time, 2 or 3 consecutive weeks of occupying can be viewed as a residence, and eviction is required for removal. An example: heated argument, police are called. None of the parties have caused bodily harm to the other (or anything that could warrant being arrested). Person A is on the lease and wants person B (not on the lease) removed from the property. Only person B has been staying there 4 consecutive weeks, which both A & B admit to and agree on that point. Having no reason to arrest B, police will not remove Person B because that State's laws view anything 3 consecutive weeks or more as a residence. So it has to go through court. It would be worth a google. That's where the signed paper might be valid if the sister was never on the lease. The brother could simply show it as evidence she left, doesn't reside there, and not being a named Lessee has no rightful or legal access to the apartment. Best thing for all concerned would be to live apart. Hopefully while the child is still provided with shelter. That power trip "get out..." nonsense tends to not go away. It's a form of trying to exert control. The child picks up on that arguing as well, which isn't a good thing to hear.
    ...See More

in need of some serious help selecting a floor stain

Q

Comments (2)
    Bottom square, lower right hand corner. The darker you go with flooring, the more the odd bit of fuzz & dog hair, etc. shows. And gapping will show the unstained tongue of the flooring as well as any scratches into the wood. Go too dark & you loose the character & beauty of the wood. Might as well paint it brown, IMO.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago
    Can you take a picture directly from the front? I think this can be remedied to your liking. But I’d like to see a few more angles.
  • Jennifer Dube
    5 years ago

Not an expert but I note the wood in your inspiration photo goes horizontal and on your home it's vertical.

• Audra
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here is more of a front view.
  • chispa
    5 years ago

Did you not have any elevation drawings as part of your architect's full set of building plans? From the elevations this would have been obvious before it was even built.

• User
    5 years ago
    Couple of questions. 1) what does the architects drawing of the house look like? What was selected for exterior finishes? 2) Sophie bluntly commented on it but one of the big issues is the house you chose as your inspiration has a different feel. You can put the same products on yours but it just won’t look the same. Yours is too symmetrical. 3) were you planning on having some kind of feature like the inspiration pic? I’m not a design person so don’t know the lingo but the dark trim like piece on the inspiration photo is what I’m poorly referring to.
  • User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You have (I think) exact symmetry but you are trying to achieve asymmetry.

I would be inclined to

1. Wrap only one bump out (left) and try to match the wood tone with the garage door (right).

2. Abandon the scheme and just stucco.

• David Cary
    5 years ago

My concern - the wood species is very different. The inspiration looks like Ipe or similar and yours looks like Oak. IPE can be reoiled annually to maintain appearance - stained oak will fade perhaps variably based on sun exposure. That might look terrible. Has there been a discussion of wood species and fading?

Also the aesthetic you are copying is super clean lines. The perpendicular oak trim is not super clean. Honestly the grain is not super clean.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I agree that the inspiration pic and your house are nothing alike so in your mind what you wanted and what is possible are not the same. This is and should have been a discussion with the architect before any install was done. Drawings should have been done to show you the options nad in reality what you wanted is really not going to happen unless you just put the wood in the center section but the style of your house is really nothing like what you had envisioned.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

I am curious to know what the drawings show?

• User
    5 years ago

Maybe there are no drawings?

• User
    5 years ago

Changing this to an asymmetric Modern home at this stage would involve lopping off one of those jogs, and maybe doing a cantilevered side bumpout. Something has to happen architecturally. You can’t replace design with decorating on an exterior, and just label it whatever you want. Form follows function.

• User
    5 years ago

The architecture is kind of Prairie-ish. It would be interesting to see the original elevation drawings. This can be fixed, as Alison suggested earlier, but at this point the architecture is baked in the cake.

Knowles Residence - Exterior · More Info

• Sammy
    5 years ago

jn3344 and Alison offer good advice.

• RaiKai
    5 years ago

Audra,

I get the impression you were going for modern but I agree with others that the architectural design of your home does not actually reflect a modern asymmetrical design or exterior.

Even if you carry the wood all the way around it is not going to evoke your inspiration which IS asymmetrical and designed so that the wood paneled section almost looks like an added it integrated piece. It makes visual “sense” for it to be different than the rest.

If you carry the wood around top it is actually going to I think look more like a large boxy split level. Which is not bad, just nothing like you were striving for (nor what your house actually is).

• User
    5 years ago

I'm just curious where you thought the wood Should stop on the first photo? Were you just planning on doing the front and stopping at the corner or what?

• einportlandor
    5 years ago

I'm not a pro so forewarned . . . I'd be inclined to rip off the wood and go with a uniform finish on the exterior. Maybe look into sleek wood entry and garage doors and modern landscaping???

• tatts
    5 years ago

That's not oak. It's flat-sawn pine and that wild grain is going to be really ugly if you try to stain it any medium color as in the inspiration photo. The wood in the inspiration photo is beautiful, with a very fine grain; that's not what you have.

• PRO
    MDLN
    5 years ago

Even beyond the wood type, inspiration wood was placed horizontal, this was not.

• jmm1837
    5 years ago
    OP - I'm not sure if there was a miscommunication between the builder and the architect or between you and the architect. If the former, they need to sort it out; if the latter, I think maybe you have to rethink the facade. As others have said, your inspiration house works because of the assymetry and also because of the quality of the wood (deep colors, wide boards, seamless look). Your wood is nowhere near that quality, and the trim around it makes it all look a bit insubstantial.

Personally, I'd be inclined to ditch the wood entirely.
  • nanj
    5 years ago

Could you use a vinyl siding product that mimics the color of the wood on the inspiration house? I know board and batten is not a modern look but wonder with your design, the windows, it could be transitional. I have seen smooth vinyl siding products but can’t remember what brand has that.

Or what about painting the wood that is there a color similar to the inspiration house?

Modern houses are much harder to design well than traditional houses and seem to be more expensive to build. It seems like your vision did not translate to your architect or your builder. I am very sorry your dream is not turning out as you hoped. At this point, unless your budget is very elastic, I would step back and see how you can improve what is there and accept it is not going to be like the inspiration house.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Audra:

If your siding installers don't get a clue, you'll be getting new siding in a few years anyway along with massive amounts of rot to repair. There is none of the required metal flashing between the back of the siding and the base trim in your 2nd and 4th picture:

Lucky you; this is a perfect reason to make them tear it all off at no charge to you.

And when they tell you they were going to caulk it, you'll tell them that caulk is no substitute for mechanical flashing.

• Audra
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks guys for the input. I understand the home design we wanted didnt translate.
    And that's why our architect is out of the picture now. We have caught many mistakes. But I can't put the whole blame on the exterior on him( all other mistakes are on him though) My fiance and I didn't have a clear vision when we went to him which I know can be frustrating to a designer.
    Also, my Mother in Law is the general contractor further making this a sticky situation. Home building has been in their family for decades now and this is our first house and we're using our money. This situation Is very frustrating but everyone kept saying "It'll look great."

I agree with Nanj to use that type of siding. or removing it altogether. I told my fiance and his mom from the beginning that the exterior would be a problem. The photo is the original post to explain the sleek look we wanted for wood. That was the first photo I found from the internet that day when I made the post. Apologies for making this whole thing confuzing- I was extremely frustrated and tired that day. The photos below were what we sent our architect along with others, More a prairie type home. When I can get access to my desktop, I upload the elevations.

I am here to ask not what we did wrong from the beginning but ways to make it right.

I think overall, the overall look of the home itself doesn't look terrible. just awkward where the siding ends, and how it was installed, along with it completely the wrong type of wood altogether.

I think one option is I can take off a few panels off each side so that there will be a stucco frame around the window and use a Semipermanant oil stain that was mentioned earlier to hide the heavy wood texture. I'm thinking of ways to make the transition less noticeable like planting a tree there...

I could remove it altogether and have a boring home (according to fiance). Maybe add stucco framing around the windows....

Remove it and put the concrete horizontal siding like Nanj mentioned. I don't want to go this route bc in my area, that is only used on cheaply built homes or old homes.
  • Audra
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Joseph Collete,
    I did think the bottom of the siding looked funny how it slants downward. We are working of getting the house stuccoed the end of the week so I assumed it was something that wasn't complete yet?
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Auda:

It is not complete and I don't know how the proper metal flashing can be installed without removing the wood siding. It not optional; you're in big trouble without it.

A poorly done or missing flashing detail means every other flashing detail, windows, doors, etc., must be checked.

• User
    5 years ago

In all three of your examples you have some sort of horizontal break between the two floors. On yours you dont...yet. It looks like you can make something that would slice your front in half and provide a transition btwn wood and stucco.

The m.i.l. as GC. I think I would check myself in to the hospital.

• Audra
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    jn3344, yes! I feel like checking myself in right now.
  • tiggerlgh
    5 years ago

Do you have drawings of the final elevation you can post?

• User
    5 years ago

There’s not even a properly done rain screen, as pointed out above. The architect was clueless about designing a modern house, drawing section details, or using modern materials and methods. And the builder is equally clueless. Perfect storm of idiocy. That wood is nothing but a complete liability and needs to get ripped off. It will rot in no time.

Fire your MIL.Or sell that house as soon as it’s done if you continue to let her GC it. She is out of her depth.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

Audra, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I can imagine that when you started the project, you figured with the family connections, you'd have less to worry about, not more. As painful as it might seem now, from a financial and family standpoint, listen to Joseph and Sophie.

If you continue as is, you'll have a disintegrating house and a disintegrating bank account. If you sell the house, sell it quickly.

Home building has been in their family for decades now

What exactly does this mean? Do they have a residential construction company?

Was the architect an independent third party? Was the architect recommended by the fiance's home building company?

Are the siding installers longtime trusted tradespeople? If so, I would be very concerned. If not, I'd be very concerned. You've been let down not just by the architect, but by the builders, the GC, and at least some of the trades. I'd scrutinize all the other work very carefully.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

"I am here to ask not what we did wrong from the beginning but ways to make it right."

Audra:

Unfortunately, painful introspection is your best friend right now. You need to find out why, how, and what you've done wrong from the beginning. This could result in more pain, such as firing your mother-in-law and her hack subs. Patients scream when their wounds are scrubbed, but it's for their own good.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

It never sits well with me, when someone is told to sell a house with design problems, that would be very expensive for the next person to fix. :-( Seems terribly underhanded, you know?

(This is one of the reasons my husband and I have a hard time buying an existing home... this fear of the previous owner just trying to foist a lemon upon us.)

• shivece
    5 years ago
    You may also want to educate yourself re: proper stucco installation, as that be an issue.
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    5 years ago

Call in some fresh blood- unbiased professionals (builder, architect), pay them for on-site opinions on where to go from here. The current crew is too interpersonal & the guidance murky. You will get this, good luck :)

• Audra
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Joseph, I can't just fire my mother in law. for the sake of my marriage and family, I can't do that.

I will be looking for some other opinions and find a way to tell her what's been found.
    5 years ago

Under the circumstances, with your particular family situation --

My question is at this point, would it be better to keep it as is, continue the paneling all around the house, or just get rid of it completely?

my answer would be to get rid of it completely. But you will need to ensure, on your own or with independent, highly-recommended assistance, that it is done properly.

You will then need to ensure, with independent, highly-recommended assistance, that the rest of the work -- what's already been done, as well as everything left to do -- is done properly. Good luck.

And I hate to mention this though your situation seems to make it unavoidable, but I'm not sure if you're married or engaged, with various references to fiance, marriage, and mother-in-law. If you don't have the various legal protections of marriage, make sure you have an independent, reputable, highly recommended real estate lawyer handy if things go further south on the build. Because someone will be on the hook for the bills, and I can guarantee it won't be your fiance's family or your fiance.

• rockybird
    5 years ago

First thing I would do is stop all work and get an independent inspection of the integrity of the exterior. You will likely have to pay for this. You might want to even hire the contractor to remedy the exterior issues. I would also hire a new architect to help design the exterior. You have a lot to lose if this is done wrong. Spending the extra money and taking the time to get it right will be worth it in the long run. Was this plan designed by an architect or was it a plan you bought online and modified?

• Mrs. S
    5 years ago

I think we all know this was no architect that designed the home. I think she's been told, perhaps by her MIL, that their CAD operator was an "architect," by someone who uses that word loosely.

What a difficult situation this is. For the sake of your marriage and family ties moving forward, you are going to need advice on how to handle your MIL. I think you need to approach her with the attitude that you are trying to help her out, since her crew are cheating her by building shoddy homes. You can say you're trying to protect her---because improper builds and code violations will damage her reputation and her professional liability.

You are really stuck. This was just a terrible idea all the way around. From every single marital, familial, financial, and enjoyment of life aspect. If you and DH can't stand up to the family, you have got to find a way to extract yourself from the deal. You just gotta.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Is that scaffolding around the exterior of the house legal? If that's representative of the knowledge, skill and workmanship of the MIL builder, there's serious issues here...

The scaffolding looks like that in a third world country.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

"Joseph, I can't just fire my mother in law. for the sake of my marriage and family, I can't do that."

Sure you can. And the sooner your husband and MIL find out you can and will, the better. If your husband doesn't put you in front of his mother, you've got no marriage anyway.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

I'm not a marriage counselor, but I do know a few things about flashing. I share Joseph Corlett's concerns about the apparent lack of flashing at the wood/stucco interface, and I'll add a concern with the windows, too. It appears the flashing of the 1st floor and 2nd floor windows was done according to different methods and neither appears correct. Proceed with caution.

• einportlandor
    5 years ago

Oh Audra, you are really in a pickle! You're trying to build a good house and good relationships at the same time. You'll need to be very strategic to pull it off.

If it were me, after getting my partner on board, I'd have an apologetic meeting with my MIL along these lines: "Oh mom, we know we said we wanted wood on the exterior of the house, and that's what you gave us, but now that it's up we realize we made a mistake. We just don't like it and want a plain exterior. How hard would it be to take it all down? So sorry for the last minute change of heart."

I know some on this thread will disagree with this approach but in my world view, a house is just a house, but family is forever. Thread the needle very carefully. Good luck!

• jmm1837
    5 years ago

I cannot agree with einportlander on this one. This house very clearly has significant problems which must/must be corrected. The MIL needs to make those corrections. Approach her diplomatically by all means, but be firm on this. The project doesnt continue until the problems have been cleared up.

As I understand it, the wood will have to come down anyway to effect the repairs. Don't put it back up: go with one of the other suggestions.

This may damage family relations, but how good will they really be if OP and family have to live in a substandard home because of MILs poor building practices? A lifetime of resentment isn't going to help family relations at all.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Audra:

Much better to be respected by your MIL than liked by her. Show her that her son really did make the right choice.

• NewEnglandgal
    5 years ago

I can understand why you are in such a tough spot. You have to live with this family for a very long time and want to keep things amicable. Did no one ever tell you never hire a friend or family member? Can you have someone with building knowledge "stop by" to see your home and notice all these problems so it might be easier to broach that way with your MIL? At the least you need to tell her there is no flashing under the wood and it needs to be removed and fixed then go from there. I feel for you and cannot imagine having to deal with this.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

You've gotta be nice to family around the dinner table, but when your family starts reaching into your wallet by allowing poor flashing details, all bets are off.

5 years ago

Can you have someone with building knowledge "stop by" to see your home and notice all these problems so it might be easier to broach that way with your MIL? At the least you need to tell her there is no flashing under the wood and it needs to be removed and fixed then go from there.

And at this point you have to hope for the sake family unity that MIL will be shocked and unhappy to hear about the substandard work, and that this is not business as usual. If the latter, this is quite a pickle indeed.

• flopsycat1
    5 years ago

What happens when someone suggests that your MIL check out this thread?

Good luck, Audra. Hope your issues, both familial and architectural, are successfully and amicably resolved.

• just_janni
    5 years ago

Like the idea of some third party coming over and pointing out some deficiencies and then just "ask what s/he meant by that" and that s/he was fairly adamant that these subs were not doing your build justice. By focusing on the subs, you can give MIL an out. How active is she at the site? Is it possible that she's simply not seen this? or is this a new crew from her usual folks, etc? Is your bank giving you draws? is their inspector someone that you can work with? or your banker? I have a good relationship with the inspector that is working for my bank. If he holds up a draw because the work isn't done (or is done VERY WRONG) things will get real and you'll HAVE TO address them - or else no one gets any money. That might be the most direct way.

You have to address these - if you don't - even for the sake of "family peace" - it will rot your relationship like the water intrusion will rot your house.