SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Tips for slow-roasting a beef tenderloin in oven?

Madeline616
11 years ago

Hello,

I'm a regular in kitchens and am so happy to have found this wonderful cooking forum.

I'm having a dinner party for 10 next Saturday, and I'd like to use one of Barefoot Contessa's recipes from her new cookbook, "Foolproof." It's a 4.5 lb. filet of beef, slowly roasted in a 275 degree oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.

I usually practice a recipe at least once before serving to company, but I don't want to spend the $ to buy a whole tenderloin, and we don't eat that much meat in my family.

It seems straightforward enough, but I'm wondering if some experienced tenderloin cooks can comment on the following--

Time:
The recipe says it'll be done (125-135ish) after an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half. Does that amount of time sound about right to you? I'll include 20 minutes of meat-resting time in my plans.

The reason I ask is that a recent Barefoot Contessa recipe--beef bourguignon--was wonderful, but I agreed with numerous reviewers that it took about twice as long to cook as the recipe stated.

Seasonings:
She calls for salt and pepper seasonings. I'm planning to also add rosemary, thyme, parsley and minced garlic.

Convection:
Any opinions on whether I should try the convection roast (versus regular roast) mode? I hear it's wonderful, but I'm already out of my comfort zone never having made a whole tenderloin...

Any other tenderloin tips would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!!

Madeline

Comments (30)