SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaun_gw

Sometimes ya win - sometimes ya lose

shaun
15 years ago

I got down in the kitchen today; made pizza dough and Habanero Gold Jelly.

The jelly came out good BUT I panicked and had to call Cathy, thankfully she answered. I was filling the jars and putting them in the rack and then I was going to pick up the whole rack and put the whole batch in the BWB at the same time. But the little jars kept sliding out of the rack! ACK! I freaked! Everything was ready to go! So Cathy told me to just stick the rack in the pot and put the jars in. Then I did that and the little handles kept falling into the middle of the rack and the jars wouldn't sit upright! And I kept losing the jars, they kept slipping and falling over, I had a really hard time grabbing them. ACK again!!!

I ended up getting the little rack from the toaster oven and sticking that in the bottom of the pot and almost threw the rack outside. I was so frustrated!

THEN I kept dropping the blasted jars!!!!!! I can't believe I'm gonna admit this here but ... I was holding the jar grabber thingie upside down. I was holding onto the part that would have fit around the jars nicely and not let them go. What a dufus I am sometimes. My husband told me not to tell anyone what I did. hahahahah!!!

Then, the pizza dough was awful! This is the recipe I used -

1 cup warm water

1 pkt active dry yeast

2 1/2 cups flour (all purpose)

1 tsp salt

2 TBS Olive Oil

Tasteless. Dry. Didn't get golden brown. Limp pizza.

What the heck am I doing wrong? What's the secret to good pizza crust that will get crispy light brown crust AND have a good taste?

Comments (23)

• lindac
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Salt....more salt! and a little sugar.
    Linda C

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Shaun: What is it with you ??? You have more problems then 007.
    Were you like this since you were a little girl or did it gradually come on thru the years.

I gave you a recipe for Pizza Dough and a " how too "
    I'll send it again if you want. I'll even put in some Photo's. I'll have to get out the Wooden Spoon and give you a treatment.
    Lou
    PS : Every so often,I get a noise like a Cow in heat.
    Is this an addition to the FF, or am I the only one getting this.
    At first I thought it was my swivel chair

• Related Discussions

do ya like something SOOOO much ya get Crazy and.....

Q

Comments (5)
    Some people would see a bag a beans and others would see a bag of SEEDS. lol My kids taped zip lock bags with beans and a moist paper towel in them to a window at school for an experiment. It's a good way to see how the roots grow. Are you planting beans NOW? I haven't done a lot of veggie gardening but I would think that it's too late in the year for those. Good practice for next summer though if it is. I've been planting more and more edibles and just scatter them around the yard since I don't have a traditional vegetable garden. I've saved seeds from store bought melons several times to grow. Sometimes our grocery store will have unusual melons like casaba, canary or Christmas melons and it's a good way to give them a try without spending much. Do you have a special recipe for 15 bean soup or is it the ones that come with a seasoning packet in the bag?
    ...See More

Ya know ya got a problem when................

Q

Comments (31)
    When every other tree/plant in your little yard gets squished over to one side to make sure the plumerias have plenty of room to stretch out and sun. Bill, when you figure out how to get rid of your neighbor's tree (without getting busted) let me know. My neighbor has a huge ficus that is blocking the sun and dropping some real annoying seed things all over my yard. Vivian
    ...See More

How Ya Doin' Catlover?

Q

Comments (3)
    OMG wouldn't that be crazy- doing a 10 k together!! Our temps outside in the morning are just above 0 celcius (32 F), which is much warmer than normal for us. Today it got to 16 celcius (60 F) which is totally crazy in mid March for us. I have some slimmer fitting Nike yoga pants and some Nikes that are a few years old (but have not seen too many miles til this past few months)and just any old tshirt. I have an ipod shuffle that makes indoor running a bit more bearable. I think it is time for new clothes; longer pants and better tshirt to run in- will probably go with long sleeves as it is still cool in the mornings. We are headed to Minnepolis this week, so I am making a quick trip to Albertville outlets where ther is a Nike outlet. Hoping to scores some deals there. I am going to look into runners in the next few weeks, and some better socks too. I think the runners I have are cross trainers, so I think I should get some real running runners. I find occasionally my knees are a little sore. That has got me a bit worried and motivated to get new runners. janet
    ...See More

Sometimes you just have to do what you can

Q

Comments (1)
    That is exceptionally beautiful, RC! I'm glad you explained the lighting situation, otherwise I'd think that church is in danger of burning down! Julie
    ...See More
  • Marigene
    15 years ago

Shaun, your jelly came out very nice looking......I am laughing like a hyena picturing you trying to lift jars with the jar lifter upside down! It is a wonder any of them survived...

I agree, the recipe needs more salt and maybe higher oven temp? Did you bake it on a stone or in a pan?

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Try this pizza crust recipe from Becky over on the Recipe Exchange. It's the easiest and best tasting pizza dough I have tried - and believe me, I've tried a bunch of pizza dough recipes.

Artisanal Pizza Dough

3 cups bread or all purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 1/4 cups 2% low-fat milk
    2 tablespoons olive oil -- plus more for bowl

Whisk the flour, yeast and salt together in a large bowl, then pour in the milk and oil. Mix together with a large fork or your hands. Knead once or twice to form a ball. It may be sticky, but that's okay.

Oil a bowl and set the dough in it. Lay a sheet of waxed paper loosely over the top, then cover with plastic wrap. Place a clean dish towel over the bowl and allow to rise at room temperature and undisturbed for 24 hours. Turn the dough once in the bowl about 3 hours before you want to use it. The 24 hour fermentation process takes the place of kneading the dough.

When you are ready to make your pizza, divide the dough in half on a lightly floured board, then proceed with your pizza making. The dough can be frozen for up to a month; Thaw at room temperature before using.

Makes two 12"-14" pizza crusts

Source:
    ""Pizza on the Grill" by Elizabeth Karmel and Bob Blumer

• denise8101214
    15 years ago

Lou!

:)

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Hi Lou! Good to see you!

Shaun, I remember someone else posting about using the jar lifter upside down...so you are not alone in getting confused. Nice Jelly!!!

Nancy

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

Shaun your Jelly looks great!
    Lou, great to have you back!

Shelley S.

• jojoco
    15 years ago

Lou!
    Welcome back. You have been missed!
    Jo

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Here's my version of Lou's recipe

1 c warm water
    2 1/2 t yeast
    1T honey (or use sugar)
    Let proof for 5min.
    Add in 1 T EVOO
    1 t salt
    1 c whole wheat
    2 c white flour
    Mix until all the flour is incorporated..Let "rest" for 5-10, 15..whatever minutes...
    1 recipe makes a chewy thick 15" crust or split in half and make 2 thin 10-12"..

I've tried the Artisanal..and you have to plan 24 hours in advance..and it does have lots of flavor..but side by side it was out voted for my version of Lou's. There was only 1 strong vote for the Artisanal.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Hey Lou! So good to see you!

I have been using your pizza dough recipe and am so happy with it! Miss you a lot and hope you are well.

• malna
    15 years ago

Hey, Shaun,
    Even Bon Appetit magazine uses jar lifters upside down (it was a funny thread on the Harvest forum-linked below).

I use a lot of little 4 oz. canning jars for gifting, and they would NOT stay upright in the rack. My handy-dandy DH took an old aluminum cake pan (or something similar he found in the basement :-) and drilled about ten 1" holes in the bottom, and I put that in the bottom of the rack. There are enough holes to let the water boil up through it, but I still have enough solid surface to keep the jars upright and stable. Works for me.

Don't give up on the pizza dough. It took me two years to come up with mine, but we ate a lot of lousy pizza along the way!

Here is a link that might be useful: Am I Using My Jar Lifter Upside own?

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

Lou! What up man! I thought maybe you dropped off the end of the earth! We have to have another guy here to keep up with all these crazy women! Glad to have you back!

Duane

• diinohio
    15 years ago

Lou, good to see you back!
    Di

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Shaun, your jelly looks great!
    Live and learn, eh!
    LOU!!! So good to see you here, our Pizza Man!

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

The jelly looks so good....I think it's time to make more. It seems every time I make it other people get it and we are left out. :-(
    Here's the recipe for pizza dough I use...easy
    Pizza dough - Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients
    I pkg active dry yeast
    1 Cup warm water (110 degrees F.)
    2 1/2 to 3 cups flour, plus more if necessary
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
    Directions
    In a small bowl, combine yeast with water, olive oil, salt and stir well to proof. After 5 minutes, transfer to the bowl of a food processor along with flour and process until the dough forms a ball. The dough shouldbe soft but not sticky. If it is too sticky add a bit more flour and process for another minute.

Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead dough for 2 to 3 minutes, adding enough additional flour if necessary to form a smooth and elastic dough. Dough should
    not be sticky. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled 2 to 3 quart bowl and turn to coat dough with oil. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, usually at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. and if you have one, place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven.

Divide dough into 2 potions (for 2 (12 inch) pizzas) and form into balls. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and cover with a damp towel. Let rest for 15 minutes. Transfer dough to a pizza peel and top with toppings of choice. Transfer to preheated stone and bake until crispy and golden brown, usually 12 to 18 minutes.

At the point that you divide the dough I put it into zip lock bags and freeze it, that way I always have the dough ready to make pizza and it defrosted really fast.

Linda

• shaun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LouLouLou - I was going to make your pizza crust recipe but I didnt have any whole wheat flour! I was too darned lazy to go to the store so I tried this recipe above since I had all the ingredients on hand. I hated it!

Go ahead, whack me with the spoon - I should have just gotten in the car and gone to the store. But I'm on a mission now, I want to make a great pizza crust and YOUR recipe is the very next one I'll try. I'll post about it when I do it. I would still LOVE to see some photos.. will you send them to me?

Terri, right..... that 24 hr dough, ya really have to plan ahead for that one but it sounds really good.

Malna that's so funny, Cathy suggested a cake pan upside down! Didn't you Cathy? I have one I could have my husband drill holes in for me. What a great idea. Those little jars just do NOT fit in the rack. I had water everywhere. I felt like I was on an episode of I Love Lucy. You shoulda seen me.

Marigene I used a pizza pan at 450.

Linda your recipe looks very similar to the one I used. But I didnt bake it at 500.

Teresa, thanks for that recipe, sticking that in my file too.

Nancy I'm glad I'm not the only one! I felt so stupid!! hahahah!

• compumom
    15 years ago

Shaun, don't feel too bad. At least your bits of peppers and apricots are suspended evenly, mine weren't! Good job and I like those cute little jars too!
    Hi Lou, good to see you again!

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Hey Guys :
    Thanks for all the welcome backs. I pop in once in a while to help someone.

Shaun ,
    I'll try to find the Photo's .
    I had problems with my Computer.

Many times before, I've said everyone makes a big deal about, " who's Pizza Dough is better."
    Basically they are all about the same, except for minor variations.
    You can't please everyone. Some like thin Crust and some like The thicker Crust like the Sicilian Pizza.
    I enjoy any kind as long as it is Crispy and Tender, not like a piece of rubber that wants to fight you.
    Of course it has to taste good too.
    Lou

Here is the Pizza Dough Recipe

: An alterative to baking on a stone is to use pans. A 12 inch round pizza will take from 8 to 12 ounces of dough. According to thickness you want. After the dough is made weigh it out and roll into balls. You will have to adjust the size of the ball to the thickness you like.

Oil the pans and place a dough ball in the pan and flatten slightly, working the dough towards the side of the pan, with the palms.
    Then let it rest a few minutes. Repeat this every so often until the dough reaches the side and up, enough for a crust about inch. Let it raise slightly , pinch the dough all over, with a fork and put into the oven to bake at 400 deg. If it bubbles while baking pinch it with a fork again. When light tan specks show ,take them out onto a rack to cool fast. Then you can use them right away or freeze , to use later.
    When cooking the Pizza, place the Pre Baked dough back in the oiled pan ,
    Or cook on your Stone.
    put a latel of sauce on the dough and swish it around, sprinkle some Parmesan or Romano , put it in the oven for a few minutes. Take it out and spread the topping of your choice and the Cheese Topping. A good topping cheese is a mixture of Mozzarella and Provolone chopped and mixed. The provolone gives it a good flavor and doesn't get like rubber when it cools.
    I use all Provolone.
    A little trick for baking. Keep a cup of water and brush handy, to baste parts that are cooking too fast. If you can get new metal pans, (uncoated) they have to be cured in the oven, so they won't stick. Coat them with oil and bake them for at least 6 hours. Never clean them with soap and water. Just rinse with water & wipe with a paper towel.

Dough recipe:
    1 cup of warm water (not hot)
    1 Package of rapid rise yeast 1 tablesps sugar ,in a half cup of warm water
    1/4 Cup of Veg. Oil
    1 teasp.Salt
    About 3 1/2 cups Flour
    ½ cup of Whole wheat flour or up to 1 cup

Place in a mixing bowl, the Water, 1 cup of flour, wheat flour , yeast if risen
    Add the oil and salt and more flour.
    Add enough flour to make a soft ball of dough, that doesn't stick to your hands.
    Knead until smooth. Put it back in the bowl , Smooth side up and Rub on some Veg. Oil
    Cover and set in a warm place to rise until it doubles in bulk.
    I put it in a warm oven, Covered with a damp towel. It rises in about 1 hour.

When doubled, punch it down and knead it well.
    Divide into Balls , about 11 to 12 ounces and place in oiled pans. 12" round
    Dough should be about 3/16 " thick on the bottom and about ½" around the edge.
    For Sicilian Pizza , I used most of the dough in a 11" X 16" pan
    Follow the previous instructions.
    Good luck, Lou

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Poor Shaun! If it had been me with those frustrations, it would have been because I was trying two new things at once. You were being ambitious! Yup, I suggested the upside down cake pan, but that was just off the top of my head. But it got me to wondering why my little jars didn't float.

It was funny, exactly when you called I was at the RV show buying pepper jelly telling the vendor that it had to hold me over until I could make a batch. She was telling me "oh, it's not too hot. You should try it on cream cheese, you can even use it as an appetizer...blah, blah, blah" Ya' think?

Hey, if Teresa says the pizza dough recipe is good, I'm trying it!

Lou, I hope you got my email last week. I ask because I had server issues and didn't hear back from ANYONE I emailed in that time frame.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

Shaun, I think you're doing a grand job! YOu're farther along than I, even though I am the one who brought up Annie's thread so that I could find the Habanero recipe. Heck, leaping alone is worth commending, not just the progress you are making. Your jelly is beautiful!

LOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There you are. I've been wondering about you. Missed you.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

shaun, I can't help you one bit with the pizza dough but that Habanero Gold looks perfect to me.

My rack will hold half pints pretty well, but the big one that Elery has won't. You'd think the manufacturer's would have figured it out by now, wouldn't you?

I think the cake pan is a good idea, by the way.

Annie

• deborah_ps
    15 years ago

Your jelly looks beautiful Shaun :)
    I lay a kitchen towel on the rack and then into the water bath when I'm using smaller jars. It really helps them stay in place.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Good lookin' Gold there Shaun! Welcome to the canning addiction....yes it is addicting! I see Annie's salsa and Sharon's Dills in your future...not to leave out some of the other great recipes shared here over the years.

David