SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cth_1027

Can you help with Alzheimer's Question?

cth-1027
13 years ago

As a long time lurker I had made a resolution that I would finally ask for some help in getting my home decorating back on track. I have actually been cleaning and getting pictures ready to ask questions.

Unfortunately, the first thread I need to start is about Alzheimer's disease.

A member of the family has just been diagnosed with Frontotemporal Dementia. Needless to say we are in a state of shock as this person is in their early 50's!

We are going to immediately need to have this person cared for in a "memory center" and are at a loss in how to find a facility of this type.

Have any of you ever had to look for a facility for a loved one who suffers from Alzheimer's? Can you direct me as to where to go and who can help? What would we need to ask about? Where would you suggest we begin?

Going home is not an option as this person lives alone and our limited understanding is that this type of dementia has a fast progression and aggressive behavior (which is what prompted the evaluation) is a real problem.

This person is not located in our immediate area and we are trying to help from a distance at the moment by gathering as much information as we can before we travel and actually look at facilities.

Thank you for any information you can provide and I apologize for just jumping in and asking a question like this. I have been amazed at how much you all know and you all were the first I thought of after getting the call.

Chris

Comments (18)