SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trudy_gw

Making this cake less calories

trudy_gw
15 years ago

After seeing the tv commercial were the family at the table, has nice smiles on their faces. Each potato has a stick of butter straight up in it. This makes me thinking about how much butter is in alot of the recipes that I have been making lately. We really need to cut down.

We love this Banana Snack Cake. Today when making this recipe, I did use 1 cup whole wheat flour with 1 cup regular flour. Also didnt use the salt (we couldnt tell). Only used about 1/2 cups choc. chips.

So here is my question, instead of the 1 cup butter, what other options of ingredients would you use? Applesauce,or oil? I know, there is lots of sugar in the recipe also. Will deal with less sugar later..........

Is there a Cooking Light forum here?

BANANA SNACK CAKE

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup white sugar

* 1 cup butter

* 2 eggs

* 1/2 cup buttermilk

* 3 mashed bananas

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 2 cups all-purpose flour

* 1 cup quick cooking oats

* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

* 1/2 cup flaked coconut

* 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. In a medium bowl, mix flour, oats, baking soda and salt together and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well with each addition. Mix in buttermilk, bananas and vanilla. Add flour mixture and mix well. Finally, fold in the nuts, coconut and 1 cup of the chocolate chips.

1. Pour batter into a 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle top with remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

Comments (10)