SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ksrogers

Simple fat-free very low calorie salad dressig

ksrogers
15 years ago

Ever notice that there are a lot less choices for no fat salad dressings? Since the last month, I have been picking MANY big bags of various leaf lettuce. Used regulur dressings and usually find them too loily, salty or even worse, too sweet. I like a slightly spicy dressing, I used dried tomato, onion, and pepper flavor with some. Avoid any onion salt or garlic salt!, I started out with dried tomato powder 1-2 TBSP, a mix of different paprikas, dried onion, and dried garlic, as weel as dried italian seasoning herbs, oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil, and more. Also a dash of ground celery seed. The key ingredient here is XANTHAM GUM. Its a light colorless, flavorless powder, that when a 1/4 teaspoon is mixed with ANY liquid up to to 2 cups it soaks up a lot of the liquid to give any 'oily' sheen and texture that is very close in appearance and texture to salad oils. A BLENDER for mixing when vinegar and water are added, is recommended as it thickens in a SECOND and can clump into harder globs. Thats why I mix it into the dried ingredients first. I mixed all the dried stuff in a small bowl and added about 1/4 teaspoon (VERY POWERFUL THICKENER!!) of the Xantham gum. At first it was so thick I had to add more water and vinegar to get it to blend in my blender. I also added a bit of salt to my taste, ground pepper and let it whizz for a couple of minutes. Then tasted it. Was quite surpized as it was as if it were a regular dressing in its application in that it clings to leaf lettuce, and didn't end up at the the bottom of the bowl either. The best part was I could also add a small amount of Splenda to give it a smoother flavor. After the batch got do big, I decided to enhance the creaminess, so I split the batch in half, and added some powdered Ranch dressing flavor to one part. This lightend up the color some, almost like a red Fench dressing. Now I have enough of these two to last me for a while when eaten with my a mixed leaf lettuce salad. Of course I also like hard crunchy in my salads too, so a sprinkle of croutons or a salad seasoning topper is OK too..

Sorry, no recipe here, but I have basicaly provided all the necessary ingredients above. A tablespoon of each dried item or more, and that final 1/4 teaspoon of Xanthum Gum is the key. Without it, all the liquid would be like a watery dressing. Using too much xanthum gum can really thicken way too much, so add sparingly. The Xanthum gum is available from many nature food stores and on line. You can also experiment with various herbs and the main components, like dill, and summer savory, or using no paprika or anyting that might get it too hot and spicy. Always store in the fridge and it will last many weeks as there is nothing inside that can really spoil. Xanthum gum is tasteless too, and is also used in some ice creams, along with other thickeners for a consistancy that would be better if not watery.

Enjoy my SECRET RECIPE and make your own the way YOU like it!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!