SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Dishwasher won't drain - again!

Lars
12 years ago

I went to the appliance forum to get information on dishwashers, but I found the information a bit confusing, since I do not know anyone there.

Anyway, on Saturday the DW (not dear wife) became clogged and left us with about three inches of water in the bottom when it finished washing the dishes. I cleared out the top of the DW, which was not difficult, and then I removed the entire bottom rack, including the dishes. I put the rack on the counter and discovered that it was much easier to put dishes away from the counter than from the bottom of the DW - something I will remember for the future. I don't like stooping, and I don't like bottom cabinets.

Then we had to go to HD to get a tube to siphon the water off. Kevin thought that you have to suck the water into the tube, but I showed him that you can fill the tube in the sink, and then transfer the filled tube to the DW and the bucket nearby. Actually at first I used a large rectangular pan, but that proved to be too difficult to lift without spilling water, and so I switched to the bucket. Eventually, the bucket filled to the same level as the DW, and I had to bail the water and siphon it again. In all, it took three siphonings, after which Kevin sponged the rest of the water out. Then he started removing pieces to find out where the problem was. The last time we had this problem, there was a defective valve that we replaced, but this time the valve was in perfect condition. However, one of the plastic grates had become clogged with tiny bits of paper - probably from jar labels - but it was only clogged on one half of it, and the other half was perfectly clear. Perhaps one side is incoming and the other side in outgoing, but I do not know for sure. Anyway, we think this may possibly solve the problem, but we will not know until we run it again, as the pump must be running to remove the water that is left at the bottom. Kevin wanted to run it empty, but I said we may just as well wait until we have it filled with dishes, as it got the last batch of dishes perfectly clean.

So now I am shopping for a new DW, and this appears to be much more complicated than I imagined. I go to one site and see a bunch of good reviews, and then I go to another site and see terrible reviews for the same models. Plus I think I will have to do my taxes to see what my budget is going to be like. I'm having a lot less withheld this time because I was getting huge refunds before, and so I do not know how well I calculated what I will have to pay.

Does anyone have favorite DWs or any good recommendations? I though I might like Bosch or perhaps Kitchenaid, but I've read mixed reviews on both. The model I have now is a GE, and it was worked well and is quiet (Quiet is a major concern), but it does have the recurring problem of not draining. A lot of people have this problem with GE, and so it was easy for Kevin to find information on line about how the fix it.

If the DW does not drain the next time we run it, we will have to replace it, and I hate spending money on appliances, although it will be nice to get a SS one to match our fridge and stove.

Lars

Comments (26)