SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Hawks:

13 years ago

I guess the habitat is changing and their method of predation is getting a bit more urbanized as well.

Growing up, I saw hawks regularly because I lived in a small town surrounded by rural areas.

In the past year I have had several up close encounters with hawks--right here in the middle of a large city and have seen (on You Tube) and heard of several more from friends.

Rounding the corner to the back alley entrance to my complex, I came upon a large hawk just taking off with a pigeon in its grasp.

My SO was walking back with a cup of morning coffee and saw a shower of feathers: a hawk was eating another pigeon in a tree not 10 feet above the ground.

I got a phone call today to look outside my front window where a hawk was keeping guard over a pigeon it had dropped. This was a small hawk and probably had trouble lifting the bird.

On You Tube I saw footage of a hawk calmly eating on top of someone's car on a Very busy street a few blocks awaywhile people stood two feet away taking pictures. Imagine coming to your car to fined it spattered with blood and feathers.

There are notices in a particular apartment building nearby warning people not to let their small pets out on the balconies: they are staggered so access and visibility from the air is good.

Comments (21)