SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nidnay

Any way to keep hawks from nesting in my yard?

Nidnay
5 years ago

Was wondering if there was any way of discouraging hawks (red shoulder) from nesting in our yard. It’s too late for this season, but would like to do something for next year if at all possible.

We’re on almost 7 acers of mixed harwoods/pines with a creek and open land as well as woods. We just finished our build 6 months ago and have settled in and happily hung our bird feeders. It’s been awesome with the variety of birds that visit along with all the singing and bird melodies etc ........until a few week ago when things got a lot quieter with less songbird activity. Then, while scouting the treetops I happened to notice a large nest high in a tree about 60 feet from our feeders. The hawks are actively sitting so will be there to stay, but I‘m hoping to discourage them from nesting here next year. Any suggestions??

Comments (80)

• User
    5 years ago

Honestly, NewEnglandgal, I think you're as much an obstacle to pleasant discourse on forums like these as any other poster in this thread - if not more so. Spare us the self-righteous lectures and weirdly thin-skinned responses to perfectly polite discussions - and please actually read the posts before being so critical.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Bluntness isn’t the same as rudeness.

Any illness is far more likely to spread in the more concentrated populations around a bird feeder, so that is an argument against feeding the birds.

There really is nothing legal that nidnay can do to discourage the hawks. Interfering with the nest even when empty is also not legal. She needs either to give the tweety birds places to feel safe like shrubbery where they can dive deep for safety, and/or move the feeders to a place not within sight of the hawk nest and/or stop feeding.

• Related Discussions

Hawk in my yard

Q

Comments (7)
    Wow, a hawk in your front yard, that is a big bird with big talons. My suggestion is to get a protective hat, while the fledgeling are in the nest. When they are gone, remove any hint of the nest so they will not come back next spring.
    ...See More

any way to repel yellowjackets from nest building under deck?

Q

Comments (2)
    If they are trying to attach a paper nest to the underside of your deck, spraying WD-40 on the spot will keep them from building there. But there are also German yellow jackets that nest in holes in the ground....or in a crack in your siding and get into your walls. That's nasty stuff! If they are going into a hole in your house, call an exterminator....my son landed in the ER because he was attacked when he accidentally disturbed a nest! Nasty bugs!! Linda C PS my son is a grown man, past 40...not a child!
    ...See More

Keeping Feeder(s) Filled w� Nesting Tree Swallows in the Yard?

Q

Comments (4)
    The last couple years I had Bluebirds nesting in snags in the back yard (both snags have since fallen over). I cut way down on the food in the feeders, which I usually do anyway in the summer, because I didn't want to attract House Sparrows. Would put out a little BOSS, but only put out the home-made suet nuggets if the Bluebirds wanted some. This Spring, I had a pair of Baltimore Orioles nesting in a large Pin Oak right above the feeders. Did the same thing, cut down on the food in the feeders, because the Orioles were very territorial about the tree. They were especially aggressive towards Blue Jays, Grackles, and Crows so I stopped throwing any tidbits on the ground (like old corn chips, which the Jays and Crows like). So I would favor the security of the nesting birds. During the summer and fall, there are normally abundant natural sources of food, so feeders are not critical. Birds eat a lot of insects and feed their young insects, so they are unlikely to starve if you aren't feeding them.
    ...See More

Hawk in my front yard

Q

Comments (2)
    Caitlyn ... Can you get extra credit in biology class for writing a report on the hawk behavior? Have a friend hang back and take pictures for the report. Video it for YouTube! Seriously, for a couple of weeks more you may need to wear a bike helmet because they are very protective until the chicks a. Or walk under an open umbrella.
    ...See More
  • Nidnay
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I do agree with NewEnglandgal and do not agree that she is an obstacle to pleasant discorse.....Some of it in this thread I did find unpleasant. I don’t need to be scolded, mocked or ridiculed which is the way some of the posts came across (not all though.....thank you everyone else for your thoughtful suggestions and stories). Now I will say that the negative input here has been very mild compared to other threads I’ve visited....they could make your hair curl. I really do think though we have lost our understanding of how to communicate in a gracious manner and have little ability to put ourselves on the receiving end of a lot of the criticism we dish out (I will include myself here.....I always have to watch carefully how I respond to others I disagree with).

Hot Rod.....I did NOT say I was not going to change anything. I did say I would not stop feeding birds....so what you wrote is completely inaccurate. Also, the ENTIRE POINT of the thread and my question was how to prevent nesting hawks from coming back and nesting in the yard next year which would enable me to continue feeding the birds and have them visit the way they normally would. So feeding the birds was a given and I think this concept would be very simple to understand for the average person reading my original post. As I mentioned, Ive been feeding birds for decades and this has never been an issue.

Hugs and kisses to you all.

• NewEnglandgal
    5 years ago

Ok illstep youre right Im self righteous. Im out of all these forums. Good luck Nidnay hope you xan figure something out.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

Actually, the word ignorance is not a negative word. Upon reading nidnay's original post, I interpreted her question was based on simple ignorance of state and federal laws regarding the protection of bird of prey, ignorance regarding how her practice of feeding her beloved song birds is akin to setting out a smorgasbord for their predators, ignorance about the generally accepted methods of mitigating the dangers.

Nidnay, I remembered something that might be useful to you regarding the hawks. Back when I did feed birds artificially, I found that if I stopped feeding them temporarily, hawks would become disinterested in stalking the area. You might seriously consider taking the feeders down while the hawks are minding the nest and during the fledgling period.

By the way, I don't know your general location, but I thought of another critter that is a huge problem for songbirds, especially those still in the nest.....fire ants!

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Get a border collie. Ours scans the sky for hawks and runs around and barks at them.

I like this idea. :-)

A medium, large, or giant breed dog -- without an interest in birds -- would be a natural deterrent for many predators. Nidnay, would you be interested in getting a dog?

• Pinebaron
    5 years ago

Though I have no bird feeders yet, there is abundant food almost all year for some interesting wildlife around our home which includes Great Blue Herons, Bald Eagles, owls, mallards plus a host of other birds; on the ground I’ve personally seen a red fox, a cougar, deer to name a few...

Below is photo I snapped yesterday of a Heron resting on the edge of our pond.

• AnnKH
    5 years ago

The biggest issue in our neighborhood is trying to keep mallards from wanting to nest next to the neighbor's in ground swimming pool. We have severe winters, so the pool hasn't been opened up yet when the ducks arrive.

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Anna....maybe your neighbor should get rid of their pool (completely kidding here) :)

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

You know what looks *fantastic* next to a pool?

A Newfoundland puppy.

:-D

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

ODD, I'm thinking just about everything looks better next to a Newfoundland puppy :-).

• jmm1837
    5 years ago
    Nidnay - I think the main point at least some of us are trying to make is that you shouldn't try to find ways of driving the hawks away. Instead, you should find ways of providing protection (within reason) for the birds you're trying to attract. Planting bird attracting plants which provide "cover" is one way, and careful placement of feeders is another.

And make sure you're blaming the right predator: where I used to live, aside from the sea eagles there were peregrine falcons, kites, owls and goshawks but the worst predator was actually a bird called a currawong, which is a bit similar to a crow in looks and size, so not a classic raptor at all. It was far more devasting to small birds than any of the usual birds of prey.
  • Lori Wagerman_Walker
    5 years ago

That escalated quickly...

I have several feeders in my back yard, have always been busy, busy, busy. Until about 6-8 months ago. I'm not going through the amount of food we were at all! We have a red tail that cruises thru once in a while. I don't think nesting close, but stops in frequently enough that I've been a bit concerned about my cats that go outside. I hadn't really thought about it making the other birds less active.

TBH I'd convinced myself it was a large chainsaw carving of two cardinals that my husband bought me at the end of the summer. It sounds crazy but since I placed that "statue", that's about the time I noticed the less bird activity. I'm going to move it out by the other garage as soon as we get the concrete porch poured.

I said all that to say... maybe it's not my fake cardinals at all, maybe its the hawk. Orrrrrr I'm just completely crazy!!

niday, maybe you need a huge cardinal statue closer to the hawks and move your bird feeders closer to shelter. It could deter the hawks enough for the other birds to come back!! It could work in your benefit. I'm really curious to see what happens when I move it!

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jmm1837.....I don’t know that I’m blaming any specific predator for anything other than the red shoulder hawk nest being responsible for a decrease in bird activity at the feeders. We moved in in August of last year and everything has been great until a few weeks ago when the hawk nest appeared. This is really a no-brainer.

Cover will be established when we do our plantings, but I can guarantee that will not increase bird activity by much. I’ve had other homes with a diversity of abundant cover, but when the hawks are nearby the birds stay away for the most part until the all-clear. As I stated before, the birds are still visiting, but just much less. I am adjusting to them being here (a bit) and do enjoy watching them. On a positive note, I’m saving money on bird seed because I don’t have to fill the feeders as often :)

One Devoted Dame.....funny.....the only kind of dog I‘d ever considered was a some sort of teeny tiny lap dog. So our environment here would not be at all conducive to that kind of animal. Would make a tasty meal for some predator for sure (we do have coyotes here). Definitely don’t want a big hairy dog though (as much as I do love border collies - whats been bred into them make them fascinating animals).

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

One devoted dame.....funny.....the only kind of dog I‘be ever considered was a some sort of teeny tiny lap dog. So our environment here would not be at all conducive to that kind of animal. Would make a tasty meal for some predator for sure (we do have coyotes here).

Yes, you're absolutely right. :-(

I live outside city limits in Central Texas, and neighbors are always reporting missing cats and small dogs. :-(

Maybe a decoy, like Miss Lori suggested above...? A wooden statue (of a "competitor") that you move around the garden every day?

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    5 years ago

I've got big/medium 4 dogs & 5 cats that go outside. Nothing has deterred the birds until the cardinal statue... Or... was it the hawk: That is the question!!

• petalique
    5 years ago

nidnay, as someone pointed out upthread, rodents (even the really cute one) also enjoy the dropped birdseed. The red shouldered hawks would enjoy picking them off. My red tailed hawks enjoy toads, snakes and rodents. The Coopers and Sharpies like to prey on songbirds, juncos and MODOs.

Can you grow rhododendron and azalea in your area? Those might make good year-round shelter for birds — even just a few feet away.

Glad someone else gets heckled by auto-correct ;)

I love hawks, birdies, critters. Bears fascinate me, but I don’t want to encourage them.

• Lynn in Parkton, Maryland
    5 years ago

I thought this thread might need some stimulation :)

While I am pleased to see all types of birds on my property, due to a very unpleasant experience with a cooper hawk family, I would prefer not to have them around. I have barn swallows that come back each year to nest in my bard and they eat tons of bugs and are fun to watch. Several years ago a cooper hawk family moved in and killed all the babies and almost all of the adult barn swallows. It was nothing short of a massacre. It not only killed and ate the birds, it torn their nests down from under the eaves. The next day after all the swallows were gone, it literally was sitting in the barn on the tractor seat and refused to leave when my husband entered. He had to use a broom to get it out of the barn. I would rather have barn swallows and pileated woodpeckers than cooper hawks. I did read that they have actually been known to drown their prey by holding it under water until it stops moving. And, they are not used for falconing because they tend to try to take their handlers faces off.

Nasty, nasty birds. No thanks. I don't want them here.

• J Williams
    5 years ago

I put a cat statue in the garden a few years ago, and the cats were freaked out by it, it wasn’t even realistic looking. Also, I carelessly left my sons snake toy in the garden years ago, a squirrel saw it and lept vertically right up into the air like it was on an elevator. I only got that reaction once.

• alphacrux
    5 years ago

Our border collie is a rescue dog who used to live on a ranch. We are guessing she was trained on the ranch to scan for predators who might endanger the “flock”. We were initially very surprised by this behavior, but it (and chasing squirrels) provides endless hours of entertainment (and a silly open-mouthed grin on her face). Funny, she only cares about predatory birds. We have a bird feeder, and she doesn't care about regular birds, nor do the regulars care that she is in the yard.

Too bad a “hairy” dog is not for you. She is definitely hairy and sheds a lot, and likes to dig a deep “dog nest” in the garden. She comes in filthy, but happy (she’s a “working dog after all). Oh, btw, she’s a great mouser too!

I hope you find a solution that works for you!

• AnnKH
    5 years ago

We have a local bird expert who bands and studies Cooper's hawks. A few years ago a friend of mine had a nest in his yard, and Tim came over to band the 4 chicks. He also caught the mother, who had been banded before, to evaluate her condition. The babies were quiet, calm and relaxed. Our Boy Scout troop was invited over to watch the banding, and we all got to hold chicks. Several of the adults (including my husband) held the adult. She did not make a fuss at all while being handled.

So I was surprised to read Lynn's assertion that Cooper's hawks are not used in falconry. The first article I found described the stereotype of the Cooper's as being an "aggressive, face-grabbing psycho" is a myth. about Cooper's hawks

Peregrine falcons are another story! The same raptor expert bands peregrine chicks that are born in a nest box on a local water tower. I watched that process once, and the 2 chicks (the same age as the Cooper's chicks) never stopped squawking and complaining. No way would he let anyone lese handle these babies! The parents circled the small crowd, also calling loudly the entire time. The banding guy said if there was a raptor parade, the peregrine would be the grand marshal.

Cooper's hawk chick

Peregrine chick - about twice the size of the Cooper's

• sm m
    5 years ago
    I have the same problem. I make sure there is plenty of coverage around the feeders. I don’t have any cats in my yard. The Bluejays get upset and make noises when the hawk is close. I have gone out and scared it away when I hear the blue jays. The hawk has eaten several birds rabbits and squirrels! Sometimes I remove the feeder for a few days. I can’t seem to get rid of it!
  • Nidnay
    Original Author
    5 years ago

*****Hawk UPDATE******

Well, I’m pretty sure the eggs have hatched. I’ve seen the parents (I can’t tell female from male) bring food up to the nest, tear it apart and then dip their heads into the nest as if to feed the babies. I have only seen them bring mice and snakes up there. There have been no attacks on the birds at my feeders. I see the hawks gliding through the open woods hunting there, so my assumption is they’re looking for rodents and snakes. We do have a creek so it’s a nice hunting habitat for them.

So, at this point I am actually very happy they‘re nesting in the yard hunting mice and snakes (and they are fascinating to watch)! I hope they return next year. I’m out in the yard doing lots of gardening and they are not the least bit concerned with my presence. There is slightly less activity at my feeders but it’s really fine....the song birds seem relaxed and there‘s a lot of bird music in the yard so it’s all working out great.

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

Out in the yard with your new puppy?

• girlnamedgalez8a
    5 years ago

Nidnay, what you are seeing with the hawks was like my nesting red shouldered hawks. I never saw them with a bird, it was always a snake, mouse, frog or even a lizard. It is exciting to finally see the baby hawks. I am happy that it has worked out for your enjoyment.

Nidnay thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

Thanks for the great update, nidnay!

Nidnay thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Finding this thread interesting. I don't have nesting hawks that I've seen, but I do have hawks (Unknown types) soaring overhead. I also have chickens. I like to let them out and do their natural chicken thing... forage for grubs and (hopefully) ticks, and whatever vegetation they want. So, I don't let them out if I'm not home -- which doesn't mean they'll be ultimately safe.

I do understand hawks and crows don't get along, and I do have crows here. Interestingly enough, it appears that hawks that know about crows are very unlikely want to deal with chickens of crow (black) coloration. So this may be why last year all my chickens survived... three of them are black Australorpes.

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am so excited. I can see two adorable fuzzy white heads bobbing up and down in the nest. Love having them in the yard!

• girlnamedgalez8a
    5 years ago

Aww, the fuzzy white heads! They almost look like cartoon characters! So darn cute!

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

****UPDATE*****

It turns out we have three adorable babies. Unfortunately my computer crashed so I have no real access to the pics on my camera, so I took a shot of the LCD screen on the camera with my phone....best I could do....

6 - Misc · More Info

6 - Misc · More Info

6 - Misc · More Info

• debvanatl
    4 years ago

That's fabulous!

Nidnay thanked debvanatl
  • gtcircus
    4 years ago

As I read this long thread, a thought occurred to me to make sure there is a feeder for the hawks or food for them - that way they will leave the song birds alone. But you were wise to give the song birds protection. We have bald eagles on my lake along with hawks, owls, egret and blue heron. There will always be prey and predators - it s the cycle of life. Enjoy your 7 acres.

Nidnay thanked gtcircus
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

What a majestic bird! I'm happy to see the little hawks and that you are happy with them. We have a nest again this year, but while walking the back yard found a little one dead on the ground. So sad. We'll see if there are other young or if the parents abandon the nest. Can't help but wonder what happened. Ours see younger than yours.

Nidnay thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • girlnamedgalez8a
    4 years ago

Wow those are great pictures of the young. I am so happy that this is all working out for you.

Nidnay thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • Nidnay
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s amazing .....I was so against having them nest in the yard and now I’m hoping they’ll return next year! And at this point, they have not even approached the feeders. They are mainly in the woods hunting for snakes, mice, and other forest creatures.

bellburgmaggie....so cool that you have the opportunity to see eagles!

vaporvac.....so sad that you found one on the ground. Watching them, I’m amazed they’re still well and healthy. That nest is so high up and the way they wobble around on the edge of it, it’s amazing they all don’t fall out.

4 years ago

niday, thanks for the sympathy; he looked like such a cute little guy... just a ball of fluff. :((( However, you are in luck perhaps, because they reuse their nest year to year! I've had the same pair nesting in that tree for ages. It's amazing if you can catch them learning to fly!

• ILoveRed
    4 years ago

Nidnay..we are on a lake and we have lots of birds to watch. Hawks, eagles, .a blue heron landed in my yard this morning. Just saw several geese leave my neighbors yard. If you listen very closely you can even hear an occasional whippoorwill, which have sadly all but disappeared. They are a wondrous thing. I just wish they ate the squirrels that like to eat my sons car wiring, lol.

enjoy. if You google Hanover eagle watch there is a wonderful live site for watching eagles if you are interested.

Nidnay thanked ILoveRed
  • Nidnay
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ilovered.....thanks for posting about the Hanover eagles! So much fun to watch. Here’s a link for others who are interested.

Oh, and how’s the backsplash search going :) ?

• ILoveRed
    4 years ago

My tile guy and dh want to do the stone on my screen porch (which we didn’t get done last fall, due to running out of time) at the same time tile guy does my backsplash. So out of desperation and knowing that I will never make a decision, I’m about 99% sure I’m doing the Sonoma Stellar crackle in Gardenia in...wait for it ...Subway. Ho hum. Just haven’t decided on 3x6 or 2x6. Boring but I won’t lose any sleep over this decision. Did that even make sense? I need to go to bed.

i desperately want to get my screen porch done so forcing myself to make a decision on the backsplash.

• HU-315462265
    3 years ago

FYI I built my house and the hawks came. Not the other way. Not like moving into the air port area.

• User
    3 years ago

So you know without a doubt that no hawks were in the vicinity of where you built a house? How were you able to determine this? Did you live on the property in a tent or a camper for a year?

• HU-315462265
    3 years ago

I for one am not going to change my ways. I built a house in the country to get away from the city. I want to enjoy my song birds! Stupid hawks!

• AnnKH
    3 years ago

Some hawks (including Red Tails and Cooper's hawks) are migratory. They might have arrived on your property after you moved in, if it was in the spring. I am willing to bet, however, that they were in the neighborhood the previous summer as well.

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just an update to this thread. Everything worked out with the baby hawks....they fledged and all went well.

And happily, they are back again this year sprucing up their old nest. Here’s to more babies!

• Looki Lu
    3 years ago

I have a pocket of oak trees in my front yard that is home to many creatures. We had a hawk in our tree one year and that bird was such a messy, wasteful eater- dead birds and squirrels everywhere. I put up an eagle decoy and moved it around but it didn’t do much. The hawks moved to the neighbor across the street the next year. And then to the neighbor next door after that. IDK if it’s the same bird or maybe there’s more than one bird/family. They do flybys and hunt in my yard but they dont live in it anymore.

I thoroughly enjoy watching this little microcosm of forest life...most times. The kids were yelling one day to come look at the window. A heron was in my little backyard pond and was eating my fish like it was a buffet.

• strategery
    3 years ago

That's awesome you have hawks. Stop complaining.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Has this thread changed to "Any way to keep hawks nesting in my yard?"

• Nidnay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@strategery...maybe if you read through the thread you might not be so quick to rebuke the “complaining”.

• worthy
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I wondered why my garage mousetraps were so unproductive lately. And mrs. worthy's vegetables largely free from marauding chipmunks and squirrels. Then I looked up at our guardian broad-winged hawk.

The red-tailed ones live and dive from much higher heights. This stout defender is quite content at lower levels. Even when I walk into the yard 15 feet from his fence posting there's barely a glance at me. No danger perceived!

2 years ago

What a magnificent creature!