SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresamacalmon

Best areas to save money

teresamacalmon
16 years ago

Hi, all -- we have just jumped into the deep end of the pool, having signed a contract with a builder to GC our home, and signed a contract to purchase a log package (we're building a log cabin in the woods). First custom home, and it's a cost-plus arrangement (aside from the log package itself).

There are a number of variables with the site prep,as it is a very sloping lot, have to drill a well, put in septic system, etc. Waiting on soil studies and and then the county to tell us what kind of septic we can or must have depending on the tests. Don't know how deep the water well will have to be (though the neighbor's is 650 feet), so another somewhat unknown cost.

All that is to say, I'm trying to plan ahead and assume that Phase I/Site Prep could very likely go over budget. We've built in about 12% contingency, but with so many unknowns, I'm looking down the road to prepare for possible needs to cut future expenditures.

Just wondering if you all have suggestions for the most likely areas to look for savings in terms of finishes -- i.e., flooring, fixtures, etc., things that you found through experience, best bargains, etc.

Thanks -- looking forward to taking the journey with you!

Comments (14)