SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paigect

new job/money saving tips?

paigect
17 years ago

As many of you "old-timers" know, I'm an attorney in private practice and I tend to work long hours. As a single mom that has definitely taken a toll these past several years. I started looking for a government job about 5 months ago, and finally got a position with the state. It will be a straight 40 hour week and only a ten minute commute from my house, versus 60-80 hours and 45 minute commute that I have now. I honestly don't remember what it's like to work only 40 hours! I'll feel like I'm getting away with something.

So this is a huge improvement, except for the pay cut. It's a very, very big paycut (about 35%), and I was just making it before. I have some hope of getting a significant raise in 6 months. If I don't I will probably have to sell the house and get an apartment for awhile until my income increases. I can hang on for six months at this rate, but no more than that.

Before now I have not really had time to focus on saving money because I was always so busy with my long work hours. So I'm asking for your best money-saving tips. I will be starting the coupon-cutting, going back to basic cable, and using cell phones for emergencies only. I am going to change the land line in the house over to Vonage or something similar. I have to keep high speed internet for my son's dyslexia computer program, so that's an expense I can't reduce.

I'm very worried about energy costs but I've already gotten a new oil burner and done everything I can do to winterize. I'm only using air conditioners in the bedrooms, and only there when necessary. I've become a fanatic about turning lights off when we leave the room.

What are your best money-saving techniques? Thanks for all suggestions!

Comments (13)