SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saltnpeppa

Healthy Lifestyle Check-in

saltnpeppa
14 years ago

To help hold myself accountable, I will start a check-in for exercise & healthy eating. Open to any and all that would like to do the same.

My goal: Lose 20lbs

Please share whatever - we'll see where this takes us.

Smiles:)

Comments (94)

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

NO, gosh, Mitch, I just meant she was really "soft," not toned, when I made the Pillsbury remark. She's just solid as a rock now. She's a body builder! I never knew a softy (like me) could build muscle like that, but if one works at it enough, this lady's proof positive it can happen. I just don't want to dedicate my life to such a cause. I'm going to be wrinkly like Maria AND a pillsbury dough girl when I grow up!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

O.K., I'm here too. A big Leslie fan, although boxes and boxes of tile for the darn bathroom are taking over my exercise space right now.

Goals:

Lose 13 pounds -- any more would be great. That would take me back down to where I was after my heart attack -- I lost weight because of the 5 day hospital stay--don't want to have to do that to jumpstart my weight loss again, though!

That's pretty much it. I baffle myself and sometimes I just want to cry out of frustration. I don't understand!! I exercise at least 4 times a week, I don't eat badly at all (well, over Xmas I kept up w/my family on sweet baked goods...)--I just seem to keep gaining weight! My hormones must be part of it -- I'm in the full flush (as it were) of menopause and my body keeps changing every single day. And not in a good way.

I guess I could exercise more, but for someone w/fibro, it takes me a while to recover, so I can't do it as often. I have lots of muscle under that fat...and I feel like what I'm doing now is developing more muscle (I've got rather significant obliques from doing Leslie Sansone) rather than losing fat. It's so D*MN frustrating, to be honest. I just don't know what to do. Any more hula hooping and I'll have even *bigger* obliques. I wish someone could help me make sense of my body. I wonder if there's such a thing as a personal trainer who specializes in menopause. I don't think any of them are old enough! But wow, what a growth career that would be...hmmmm....

• Related Discussions

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 8/21

Q

Comments (40)
    Ah Jill.. you have been through a lot in these last few months. Give yourself some grace! You lost the stress and vacation pounds and you are totally back on track. Glad the videos not only make you feel accomplished but that they are elevating your spirits too! I wanted to take a minute to thank you all for the kind words for hitting my 50lb loss milestone! It has been kind of weird though and I want to share it here in case anyone else has experienced the same ... So first off, the milestone passed without me even realizing it. It was almost a whole week before i knew that last week's loss took me over the 50lb mark. I do track my weight a few times a week but the default view is the last 30 days. Anyhow, that may be part of the reason that I just don't feel excited or proud or well... anything actually. I am looking forward and eager to chip away at the next 50 -- I am confident and committed. It's not that I feel anything negative or self-sabotaging. I just don't feel especially proud or like this was an achievement. I want to be clear-- I am not upset or looking for support or more kudos LOL, You all have been great and encourage me in so many ways. It just seems odd that hitting the milestone itself just didn't spark any reaction from me. I guess that's fine as long as I stay motivated. Have any of you experienced the same?
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 11/27

Q

Comments (26)
    Oh my, @salonva I completely forgot to respond to you when I had to rewrite my post that I lost! I am so glad you are joining us! As far as I am concerned there are no tangents and nothing is off topic.. everything affects our health in one way or another so share whatever is on your mind! And I love that your DH makes veggie snack bags the night before. It's so simple-- and really sets you up for success! If I have to stop working and go cut cucumbers and clean celery etc, it's less likely I will reach for the veggies! @pricklypearcactus congratulations on pushing through the snow and sticking with your exercise plan-- but please please be careful! Ice and bad knees aren't a great combo! So as far as Holiday and weekend eating -- I really wish we could all just enjoy a day or a celebration without having guilty feelings or regrets. I know it is something we all struggle with but one day isn't going to overturn a year of hard work. It just isn't-- unless we allow ourselves to be derailed. These are the holidays and there will be treats and snacks and rich meals and alcohol. I am no nutritionist but this is how I plan to navigate the holidays... Moderation is the key.. eat only the things I really want and love and keep the serving size in check. Often times, I want just a taste of something.. sometimes a serving. I will allow myself a serving but no heaping plates! I will continue to make soup-- it is so easy and helps keep me on track even if i end up having soup for 2 meals a day! I will not let myself get overly hungry (as I can do when I am busy)... this is a recipe for disaster for me. I will keep healthy snacks in the house and easy to prepare healthy meals. I was good about that through the summer but not so much lately. I will keep up on my fluids -- and continue to drink tea at night. I have been inconsistent but when I Do drink tea at night, I don't really want or think about food. I will go out and have cocktails with friends and family-- I won't deny myself that after a year of being locked in the house-- but I will stick to club soda as a mixer and limit my drinks. I had more holiday spirit this year than I've had the last couple of years. I plan to keep it going and I refuse to get tangled up in frustration and guilt about my eating and weight. Luckily I will be very busy over the next few weeks between work and dealing with the mountain of boxes to open and wrap ... that should help keep me in check when I am at home. And if not, I will revisit my list as needed! LOL
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 3/19

Q

Comments (15)
    Great to see you check in pricklypear! I’m glad you got to go Mexico and away from work. Though I am with you in that if I went away now it would be pretty challenging because we have one month of classes left. No blood work results yet. Unfortunately, this process for the lower cost takes 3-5 business days. With my primary care, I have it the next morning. Oh well. But otherwise doing OK and I re-upped for another 8 Pilates sesssions package. We had corned beef and cabbage over the weekend and it made me retain water and my BP was a little higher. It was uncured but still really salty. It was good but glad we only have it once a year.
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 06/18/2023

Q

Comments (27)
    Thank you all for the well wishes. She is doing ok for what she has going on. It's eye opening and yet another reminder to age as well as we can. Hospitals and rehabs are not great places to spend a lot of time. She was dr avoidant and anti meds for most of her life, but that just left her with some health issues she just didn't treat - like a way underactive thyroid and high BP. I think those probably played into her current situation. Luckily, the care this time around has been spread between the hospital and my siblings, so we've got a good schedule going. I have been able to exercise and sleep. Part of my new sleep routine is reading a real book before bed, instead of looking at my phone. Right now I am reading this. It's really interesting in that it has actual assessments and plans for improvements. I honestly think I am in decent shape, but the assessments said otherwise:) I feel like I'm agile, but not in these ways I guess. So, lots of mobility issues to work on. I also really like my new 800 gram challenge. I do better with number goals it seems, so instead of just saying eat more fruits and veggies, this is a concrete goal in addition to the 30 different plan products. I relied a lot on nuts and seeds for that, so this is indeed a challenge for me. I have been eating a lot more fruit, which I didn't really eat because of spikes on my CGM. I will have to see how that works when I wear one again, but for now I'm going with it. I do think the fruit reduces other cravings and not great for me foods. I just make sure to eat it with other fiber and fat to hopefully slow down the effect. @gsciencechick -good work on your A1C - sounds like you are headed in a great direction. @jill302 - maintaining is often harder than losing. Good work!
    ...See More
  • cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I hear ya flyleft- menopause got me too. anyhoo, I am reporting in to say I will need to begin again tomorrow. Had a lovely dinner out with my DD and DH. nuff said.

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

omg, I feel like a giant cow right now. I'm the same height as Kelly Ripa and I weigh 50 lbs. more. And I am NOT obese but obviously not slender either. I'm right in the middle of the Overweight category on the charts in the dr's office... if I lose 10 lbs. I'll be just on the cusp of normal/overweight which frankly is good enough for me. I come from fat parents (much heavier than me) -- my dad has exercised every day of his life but is still heavy -- aunts, grandparents, etc., all overweight and short! Next to them, I'm a waif. I have never once been "thin" but I am out of my comfort zone now. When I got married I had lost weight due to "pre wedding diet" along with some unrelated stress and I weighed 128. Some people would call that overweight or maybe OK for my height but everyone was telling me I looked too thin and not well. If I could get down to 135 and stay there, I'd be thrilled. That was the weight I hovered around for many years until my late 30's and now that I'm 45 I'm well beyond that. Blah.

The exercises my personal trainer has me doing are killing me, but in a good way (does that make sense?!). I'm hoping to get out for some x-country skiing within the next few weeks too -- that is a great workout!

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Wow, working with a trainer is such a great opportunity, Sue! Would you share some exercise tips as you learn them? Sounds like he/she is really making sure you get a good workout!

I think in addition to height, one's frame makes a huge difference in how much weight one can carry well. With a large frame, you can look slender carrying many more pounds, even at 5'2". I've got a really small, delicate frame that is not in the least forgiving. I have a friend my height who consistently weighs 115 (I'm 106) & she looks thinner than I, due to her larger frame.

There's also, dare I say it, the "Pillsbury dough effect!" Yes, that's my cute way of referring to untoned bodies, mine included. I'm very soft, & have plenty of flesh that is not firmly secured to the bone! People (like you) who are working out & building muscle, look thinner than their counterparts who weigh less & don't workout, because muscle takes up less space than flab! Makes you look sleek & defined, no matter your weight. So, keep that in mind during those grueling sessions with your trainer!

• awm03
    14 years ago

Down a pound and a half this week, so the holiday weight gain is officially gone! Down 10.5 pounds since Halloween.

sueb20, I've always wanted to try x-country skiing. It sounds like great fun and super exercise. Someone told me the sensation is like walking on those moving walkways at the airports -- I love those things!

• nicole__
    14 years ago

flyleft....yep. I'm a runner! Been working out for the last 19 years. Once your at your ideal weight, then it's portion control and excercise.

I've always made ALL our meals from scratch. We don't eat BIG fancy meals. Tacos with a glass of fat free milk. Nuts with dried cranberries for dessert, cup of tea late in the evening. For breakfast: I freeze breakfast burritos; I make 50 at one time. I make DH's sack lunch ahead of time. A cheese stick, yogurt, carrots, a mango and Wasa crackers are ready made things that go into his lunch.

It's 6 degrees this morning....weight room work out! 2000 steps on the stairstepper in under 20 minutes.:0)Then......

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW! I missed yesterday due to being at school ALL day long!! But I still did my weights - have been spending time with Gilad on Fittv until the elliptical comes in. I even tried the belly dancing segment (glad no one was around b/c I was jiggling all over !! lol) I am sore but it feels sooooooo good:)

Sizes.....we are all built so different. at 5'10, I just want to be a solid 10 - jeans size 10. Stinky, I totally agree with you regarding frame size on all of us.
    I am one who would rather have my rear a little fuller but have my face look nice. People that go to extremes with low fat do not look healthy to me ~ there is no life in their skin. And don't get me started on clavicles & shoulder joints poking out so far they look like weapons!!

Awm - Congrats - that is wonderful!! That spin class is working:) :)
    At my height, I am aiming for Sueb's approximate current weight~ it's all relative.

I am so glad we are all here TRYING (lose or maintain) no matter what age, size or shape we all are.

Now, why can't I be just a tad anorexic?? Whoever said "thin tastes better" has never been in the South!! BTW, I love Beyonce's figure & she has to fight her fried chicken cravings! LOL And lovin her new song.

Another neat thread would be everyone's favorite work out songs for the ipod. I love to cool down to Jordan Sparks - No Air - b/c Im usually gasping:)

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

stinky, it's kind of hard to share the exercises because I'd have to show you. A lot of work with hand weights (from 3 lbs. to 10 lbs.), some core exercises (including the plank, which just kills me), lots of squats and variations thereof, lunges, this thing called "mountain climber" where you position yourself as if you were going to do push ups but instead you 'step' your foot up toward your shoulder, alternating right/left (see, I told you it's hard to explain).... Each exercise is either 10 or 12 reps then repeated 3 times. He also gives me nutrition tips like eating breakfast within 1/2 hour of waking up (something about kick starting your metabolism for the day -- I usually eat breakfast later). So far it's going well but it's only been two weeks!

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Well, you'll just have to make a YouTube video then, Sue, lol! Your workout sound great...really great, & yes, cross-country is supposed to be killer exercise! Good for you!

Maybe just hearing about what y'all are up to will get me motivated. There are SO many health benefits from exercising!

Nicole, you've got it together, girl! Your meals & snacks sound really yummy to me. You must be incredibly organized, making 50 burritos, packing dh's lunch, & fixing healthy dinners. I want to read YOUR book! Btw, what is "pero?"

Scooby, ya made me laugh with your observation of "clavicles & shoulder joints poking out so far they look like weapons." So you agree that we over 40 ladies look better when we're not bone thin!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

The mountain climber is one that is available on youtube on one of the HIIT videos (hi intensity interval training). It's great if you do it for 30 secs at a time, rest for 15, then 30 again, rest...

Something similar in DD's XC station workouts (it's a Catholic school group so they call it 'stations of the cross', the exercises are so difficult LOL), it's called the "Burpee", because you go down, do it with both legs at the same time, then jump up straight again--guess it makes you a bit sick at your stomach? :)

• nicole__
    14 years ago

stinky.....pero is a coffee substitute, made from wheat & barley.

I don't look all that buff. Next to my friend, she's a year older, used to have her own workout business. She wears very little clothing to show off her perfect washboard abs, hangs her bangs over her wrinkles and WOW's the young men on the trail! :0) lol

I'm making bran muffins tonight to take on our hike tomorrow. :0) Dh is a photography buff.

flyleft....my friend is 51yo. Menopaused in her 30's. It's really about diet & exercise.

• awm03
    14 years ago

This is a helpful website for runners, cyclists, & walkers: Map My Ride. It's an easy way to determine distance and even elevation in case you're wondering just how high that hill is you're trudging up every day.

Map My Ride

Anybody else eating a lot of greens these days? I've gone on a collards kick, and turnip greens are delicious too. They're wonderful to throw into stews & soups or salads, and I've been using them instead of lettuce in sandwiches and wraps. Adding one ounce of blue cheese in the salad or sandwich too makes a heavenly combo.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Did a 4-mile Leslie last night, aching like *heck* this morning. I do have a bit of a grapefruit addiction this time of year -- I think it's my body's answer to SAD -- so I had a whey protein/milk drink and a grapefruit for dinner, along with...well, o.k., a couple of slices of middle eastern zaatar bread with a bit of cheese on it...sorry! Also had a few clementines...

Today I'm taking off to try to motor through the rest of the mosaic for DD's bathroom.

Tomorrow I'll probably do the Pilates System 27 dvd and maybe 20 mins on the elliptical. The plank is one of the exercises in it, Sue. That DVD is hilarious but challenging. It's a wonderful, experienced Pilates guru and his harem--DD and I crack each other up providing alternate soundtrack for it ;)

awm, in the summer I had a salad literally every night and loved it, but I am SO not interested in those now. Just couldn't choke one down. Weird.

Nicole, what's in your breakfast burrito? I am so comfortable with my raw oats, milk, and banana (with whey protein) as a breakfast...I look forward to it every morning.

And...I'm glad your friend had an easy experience with menopause, but I'm afraid that it's not so easy to say that for *everyone* it's just diet and exercise. People's hormonal systems are different, people's overall health situations are different. If I had never had endometriosis I might have thought that all women who whine about their periods are just wusses and should exercise their way out of it (a parade of male doctors told me as much before a female doctor basically forced a male surgeon to do a laser laparoscopy on me, in which he found advanced stage endo that didn't conform to the usual presentation). But because of my personal health situation, as described above, I *know* that each situation is far more complex. Men are far too ready to ignore women's realities, often times to disastrous effect; the last thing we women need to do to each other is invalidate women's experiences of their own bodies, IMO.

• awm03
    14 years ago

attagirl, flyleft. So glad you're having some good workouts.

Yes, I got burnt out on salads too for awhile. Enjoying them now with 1 oz. of blue cheese and 1/8 cup dried cranberries instead of dressing. Also with some raw green beans thrown into the mix. Funny, but in winter I crave veggies. I can walk down the cracker/cookie aisle without a glance at the shelves, but when I get to the produce section, my mouth begins to water.

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Fly, maybe Nic didn't mean her remark in a discounting way, but in an empowering way, like, "this is doable." Diet & exercise are powerful tools, that's all I heard her saying.

Best wishes to you on your journey. I know you're working hard at keeping yourself healthy. Hope you find a good, supportive doc if you haven't already, too.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

stinky....exactly.

flyleft.....breakfast burrito: brown rice,turkey sausage or pork, cheese, green chiles/onion/garlic(blended to a puree)or Las Palmas green chile enchilada sauce

DH is trying to keep weight on! :0)

Everyone seems to be thinking healthy! GOOD JOB!!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Glad to hear it, nicole (thanks, stinky) -- just a thought, though, when people are feeling completely out of control and are doing their best on something, informing them that the answer is "really" something or other without any further explanation or indication that you heard the specifics may possibly not get *you* heard as you would like :)

And stinky, the doctor thing: I just *cannot* find a doctor who really gets it. I keep asking around but there's no one trustworthy or who really listens anymore. I know this factually because I have to keep bringing up complicating conditions/medications etc. when I see my doc, have to remind them of my history--my current internist even pooh-poohs my MI in 2008 because I didn't pass out like a man would have. Seriously. Women's heart attacks are nothing to him.

No one I know is really happy with a GP or GYN; it's some sorry times for the medical profession out here. Specialists, yes, because they're like test pilots and are experts when you need them, but regular everyday practitioners/internists/gyns? None. Some folks are happy with their naturopaths but I just can't limit myself to that modality, and the only combination docs I know are men. I also would only want a female gyn at this point; I've *had it* with males ignoring my symptoms--although my former *female* internist completely blew off my high blood pressure, which is the only thing that could have indicated that I would have a heart attack...I couldn't possibly have a serious case because I don't present as overweight, have healthy habits, etc.--so since I "looked healthy" I got ignored. Guess around here you have to look overweight and sedentary to get any attention.

And nicole, re the burrito--that actually sounds doable, with the rice and the cheese and the sauce (and the sausage). I read on someone's site that he eats salsa, something else, and *beans* -- I cannot wrap my brains around beans in the morning. Your option sounds much better.

And I can see why your DH wouldn't have enough calories to keep his weight! -- my DH, who is incredibly fit (took a Marine readiness test online recently and came out 1st class, ready for combat; rides to and from work every day, runs a 6 min. mile at age 48, etc.) needs way more than that lunch you described. He eats very disciplinedly (is that a word? :)) but definitely more calories than your DH.

And to get back on topic: OH, awm, thanks for that link! I showed MapMyRide to DH and he already knew about it, and has started using "MapMyRun" for himself (see below) and for DD when they go on XC training runs. Very very cool! I will start looking at it for walks, too. Hills do matter :)

Rather than do the Pilates DVD, since we can do that during the week, we'll do our Sunday swim this afternoon, with lots of aquaworkout stuff--(AQX, a thing I learned at DH's company's gym--professional athletes use this and so do I :)). DH loves it because it works muscles he doesn't usually use in cycling or running. Website is AQXsports.com--they're heavy on equipment sales but you can do it without the equipment, just with your own body and a flotation belt. It's SO effective-- you get an endorphin rush within about 10 mins :)

Here is a link that might be useful: map my run--so cool!

• nicole__
    14 years ago

flyleft.....you might consider starting a thread about menopause. Collectively we could all learn something.

I agree....no male gyn's for me. Been there done that. Bad experience.

Yep, DH does eat HUGE portions of steak and drink protein shakes, but he's still working construction(age 52) & lifting weights after work. :0) We hiked 3.5 hours yesterday, ran 5.5 miles today.

I have pilates tapes and yoga. Lilas yoga on TV is as good as anything I've purchased.

• awm03
    14 years ago

Back from spin class. I'm really enjoying it, even though the whole point is to push my limits, so I shouldn't be enjoying it! But the people are so friendly and enthusiastic. What a bonus to be around such upbeat people. I walk out feeling happy: "Ah! Another day of sub-freezing temperatures! How brisk and fresh the day feels! Isn't the snow beautiful in the sunlight!" That certainly is better than winter blues, LOL!

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Just so you all can hold me accountable - I'm heading off to Y for my first "Ready to be Fit" appointment! They load all your machine settings (wow, computerized Nautilus!) and reps, whole program on USB drive, it also tracks your progress. I'm wearing a sports bra I haven't worn in years (gotta love that MonoBoob! But I need the support) and raided DS's dresser for long white cotton socks since all mine are shorties and it's too cold out there for them (took the kids out to bus and my legs froze!).

I read a little - I hate male GYNs too. I had a midwife, couldn't get in to see her after I started spotting *constantly* my 2nd pack of the 3-month pill, saw dr in her practice (this was 3 yrs ago), he didn't even want to listen to history (I thought it might be relevant that 1st pack was brand name, sample from their office, 2nd pack was Rx filled with different - generic? - brand). Told me he "didn't like the looks of my cervix" and had me tested for all sorts of STDs, went so far as to tell me during that exam that he suspected cervical cancer!

• awm03
    14 years ago

Great, ajm! Hope you have a fun and satisfying workout. Let us know how it went.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

I did start back on my stepper machine, although slacking on my exercise during the holiday season makes me feel seriously out of shape! So, building back up. I have increased my water intake. Working on eating more fruit (no problem with veggies) and realized last night I need to concentrate on portion control and/or a second helping of something.

tina

• barb5
    14 years ago

While I was on the treadmill this morning, I was watching the Today show. They showed these plates that had designs on them that help with portion control. One plate had a design of 3 apples on it, and it was pointed out that the size of the apples would be a proper portion of say, protein, carb, and veggie.

I didn't catch the manufacturer, but I thought they were a cute idea.

• awm03
    14 years ago

Portion control: yes, it's all important and sometimes disheartening to confront ("Is that ALL??!!"). I keep a digital scale and measuring cups on my counter, the point being to make them handy. When I use them, I lose weight.

One easy trick is to eat out of a 12 oz. coffee mug. It's a quick way to figure out, say, 1 cup of yogurt and 1/2 a cup of fruit. 2/3 full = 1 cup; 1/3 full = half a cup; half full = 6 oz.

• awm03
    14 years ago

Oh, and go tinam61! Good going getting back on the stepper. Step exercise does nice things for the backs of one's thighs.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I"m back! They started me off slow, 15 min on treadmill, 15 min on bike, then stretching. Only burnt slightly over 100 cal which of course I've "replenished" by now with 100 cal of pretzels. I don't get to start strength training for 3 weeks :-( Left knee is a little wobbly, a tiny sore along inside of kneecap (from the bike?) so next time we're going to try a different bike - might have been position. I want to strengthen and stabilize that joint, but don't want to injure it trying to do it!

Gotta shower b4 DD gets home, check back later!

• awm03
    14 years ago

ajm, that program sounds like pretty thorough start. How often are you supposed to go to the Y?

Anyway, attagirl to you. Hope you feel good for going.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Unfortunately, our brain has more to say about weight loss than anything else.

This is a part of research that is only in its infancy. The Chicago Trib had a section dedicated to the differences in one body's reaction to diet vs another's. I've linked one of the articles.

One size doesn't fit all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wired to overeat?

• awm03
    14 years ago

re Wired to Overeat: Yeah, heard it before. But I'm becoming sceptical about these glib newspaper health article claims that our bodies' environmental responses of centuries ago still dictate what they do today. I think we are more evolutionary than that. And I've no good scientific source for that idea, just a hunch. Reading about how plastic our brain wiring is makes me wonder if maybe we can reset our body weight & eating habits with time and practice.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good job, everyone for staying/starting healthful living!!

I am staying on track with eating so far. I think my stomach is shrinking. Muscles are still very sore & OMG, to sit to use the restroom!! Ouch!

Okay, now I got my hula hoop yesterday.....I can't hula hoop!! Im actually quite sore from trying last nite.

For those hula hooping, did it come back to you like riding a bike or roller skating? Thinkin something is wrong with me :) I hula hooped as a girl.......
    Sh*t!

• nicole__
    14 years ago

scooby.....You GO girl!!! Shake that money maker....er.....hula hips! :0) Just keep on trying.....that's how the exercise "happens". I run through a park and there were 3 girls in the parking lot with the car door open, music playing and 2 hula hoops for each girl......they were terrible!!! and very PUBLIC!!! :0) :0) :0)

• awm03
    14 years ago

Nicole, how long does it take you to run? And how do you fit it your exercise regime with work?

• pugga
    14 years ago

I lost about 80 pounds around seven years ago and pretty much have kept it off. Even after that weight loss, I would still be considered overweight but I feel good and am not going to get back into the yoyo dieting I did when I was younger.

I've noticed, though, that since I hit menopause I'm putting weight on, especially my mid-section. I decided that my main problem now is lunch. I tend to run out a pick up whatever is fast and easy (McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc.). Starting this week, I've filled the office refrigerator with a variety of fast choices for both breakfast and lunch.

Yesterday I had a bagel and cream cheese with orange juice for breakfast. Lunch was some hummus and crackers, a pear and yogurt.

Today I ate some cottage cheese and an orange for breakfast. Lunch will be a bagel with peanut butter, raw veggies and a yogurt.

One step at a time!

• hhireno
    14 years ago

At my women's club mtg last night our speaker was a female cardiologist. She said 85% of cardiac disease is preventable. Eighty-five percent! Preventable!

But only 3% of the population does the 4 things that help. Only three percent! By doing only four things that could help prevent heart disease!

The four things are: maintain a healthy weight, exercise, no smoking, and moderate alcohol consumption.

Well, those of us reading this thread are certainly aiming to be in that 3%, if we're not already there. You go girls!

She also said women know their shoe size, their jeans size, and their weight but usually don't know the truly important numbers. The numbers we should all know:

Total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides, blood pressure, waist size, BMI, and fasting blood sugar.

RE: waist size - to reduce your risk of cardiac disease a woman's waist should be under 35" and a man's under 40". The apple shaped women have higher incidence of heart disease than the pears. Finally, an advantage to big hips and thighs!

And the final bit of info that really grabbed me - 1 in 27 women will die from breast cancer but 1 in 3 will die from heart disease.

Keep up the good work everyone. Eating right. Exercising. Not smoking (nobody here smokes - right?). Drinking moderately.

• awm03
    14 years ago

good post, hhireno. This was particularly striking: "... women know their shoe size, their jeans size, and their weight but usually don't know the truly important numbers."

Haven't the foggiest what my important numbers are, only that they're "fine" (so says the doctor). I will write them down next time.

Weight's down today! 12 pounds lost since Halloween.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Scooby, when I first started hooping I could barely keep it going for 10 seconds! I think that I was trying too hard. I was totally out of breath after 30 seconds. Eventually I got into the rhythm of it, and can hoop an hour or more if I want. When I was building up to being able to hoop for a long time I would hoop for 30 seconds then rest for 30 seconds. After a while I would hoop for a minute, and rest for a minute, then hoop for 2 minutes, etc. I did get a bruise after the first week or so, but any soreness was short lived.

Pugga, I hear you on weight hitting the midsection during and after menopause. That's where I was before I discovered the hula hoop.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

scooby, don't know if this will help, but make sure you don't have a thick sweater or a coat on when you do it. A t-shirt or exercise clothes (not a sweatshirt) would be best. When I try it with thick clothing, the clothing somehow absorbs all the momentum and it can't keep spinning. Just a thought.

hhireno, that is useful information to be sure; it's also possibly why no one took my blood pressure issues seriously--because I don't smoke, don't drink (what do I do? :)), exercise, eat right, etc. all the right things--but I have a genetic inheritance for heart attacks on my father's side. **And my waistline had been creeping up to dangerous levels**, the only conforming sign, but I was still well below any kind of perceptible'obesity' or even overweight. I'd kind of lost my waistline but I just looked like a big rectangle rather than an apple, if that makes sense.

NO traces left of the episode on my heart, acc. to thallium stress test done by the same doc who did the emergency angiogram. I even pointed out in the office that the saltines in the cardiologists' office, which were offered to folks after the stress test, had partially hydrogenated oil! So while a *vast majority* of heart disease/attacks can be prevented, sometimes you've just got a genetic target on your back and need to be taken seriously even if you don't *look* like a member of a risk group.

So I'd like to add to your list that if anyone here either has female heart attack symptoms, or hears a female friend complaining of them, GO IMMEDIATELY to the ER even if the friend has no history and is slim, exercises, etc., and don't be satisfied if they turn you away without an indepth EKG and tests. Women get blown off alarmingly often because our heart attacks aren't as dramatic as men's.

And ajsm, how cool to have a personally designed program! I look forward to hearing how you progress. You're right to be careful about the knee issues, and good on the Y for responding to them. DH and DD have turned me on to the *below-kneecap-band*, which works in some completely mysterious way to make my knees completely stop hurting from faulty tracking (which it sounds like you may have?) when I do a Leslie DVD. They're like $11 at a grocery store/pharmacy. Worth every penny.

• hhireno
    14 years ago

Oh Fly, that is so important to remember - you can be doing everything "right" and still have a health issue (heart disease, cancer, any disease really). I certainly wasn't implying we can ALL avoid heart disease. We need to be an active participant in our own health and control what we can, because we can't change our genetics.

One of the things she stressed was if you think you're having a heart attack CALL 9-1-1 DO NOT drive yourself or have a friend drive you.

She explained how once that call is made that alerts the hospital that you're on the way, it sends a trained professional with the proper equipment to come & get you, it allows an EKG to be done & relayed to the hospital before you get there so they know if they need to have the cardiac cath team ready, it means you'll have access - on route - to a defibrillator if necessary, etc.

She said those TV ads about chewing aspirin when you're potentially having a heart attack are true, they can change the outcome & save your life (for most people - some people cannot and should not take aspirin). That's why emergency first responders keep baby aspirin in their vehicles.

Based on my limited exposure to this doctor, I wish you would of run across her when you had your experience. She explained how the symptoms women show are often very different than the "norm". I think she would have taken your concerns seriously.

Thank goodness you are so proactive and take control of your health. Even the best doc in the world isn't as concerned about you as you are.
    (you being the collective you/all of us, not just Fly).

Okay, stepping down (aerobically) from my heart disease soapbox. Next month's meeting is a guitar player so I'll be all hyped up on music and forgotten all my women's heart health info by then.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

flyleft - What *are* the "female heart attack symptoms"? I was having acute pain that would come and go in left side of chest last year, sometimes back by shoulder blade, but when I went for EKG they couldn't find anything. Was it b/c the pain wasn't occurring at that moment? I think I have high cholesterol (runs in family) but it wasn't so high that the dr even mentioned it. I was much more proactive about it (ate lots of oat bran and got lots of exercise) when I was in my 20's so my HDL was really high and ratio was good even though LDL was high too.

Oh, and hhireno, as far as calling 911 - what if you are in rural/suburban area and the responders would be volunteer firefighters/EMTs? Would it be better to take an aspirin and have spouse/friend drive you to hospital (that's within 30 min)?

I didn't go to Y today - my upper/mid back (I have one spot on the right that has bothered me since I strained it 28 yrs ago) was a little stiff this AM, probably from stretching, though it felt so good when I was doing it. Knee is fine. I'll try to get over there tomorrow AM, and then again Sat AM when kids are in swim lessons. I asked DH if he wanted to go over tonight, but no Family Swim until 9pm(! - and DD really can't wait to get back in the pool). So we stayed home and put in a DVD instead.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

doing good with eating moderately- seems natural( for now) which is big step for me.

• hhireno
    14 years ago

Oh, and hhireno, as far as calling 911 - what if you are in rural/suburban area and the responders would be volunteer firefighters/EMTs? Would it be better to take an aspirin and have spouse/friend drive you to hospital (that's within 30 min)?

No, no, no....don't drive yourself! You want to start the chain reaction that occurs from the call (read the earlier posting for specifics) & the squad will have the necessary equipment & trained personnel.

First responders are police, firefighters, EMT's etc. They would probably have the baby aspirin in their vehicles. IF IT'S NOT CONTRAINDICATED you could certainly chew aspirin before they get there. Check with your doctor, before an emergency situation, if you can tolerate aspirin (ie. no allergies or other health issues that would preclude using it).

Keep in mind, I'm not a doctor or medical person. I'm just sharing some info I learned at a Heart Health lecture.

As for me....I've been to the gym 4 out of 4 days this week! For some reason I have the hardest time getting there on Thursdays but I did it!

• awm03
    14 years ago

Keep up the good work, cooper_b. Hope you're mending well.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

CB - good for you! Eating well is hard for me. Guess I have to go back to the WW thing of measuring everything and keeping a diary. How's your back? Has the feeling returned in your hands?

I *did* go back to the Y today and put in my 15 min each on treadmill and bike. She was busy today so i did the same bike but we'll try a different one Sat to see if it doesn't hurt my knee. No problems now, just discomfort while I was peddling. Seems a waste to drive 23 miles RT for 30 min of exercise. Maybe we can add something (or increase time) Sat. I burnt a few more cals today since I increased the speed of the treadmill.

Speaking of treadmills, both days I've been a little "woozy" getting off it - nothing major like dizziness or stumbling "sea legs" but just a little disorientation. Does it have something to do with watching TV while walking? Should I just concentrate on the display panel of the treadmill for 15 min? Afraid reading a book (focusing on print) might not be good either.

• awm03
    14 years ago

I braved the cold (35 degrees) and went for a bike ride today. Unfortunately spin class doesn't translate into biking on a real bike: My biking muscles just aren't there. Oh well, it was nice to get outside. And my weight's down, and my conditioning's pretty good. Need to keep working as best I can. But I am so looking forward to spring.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

AJ....good for you going back to the Y. I think your body will adjust as you start an exercise program ~ sounds like your starting off slow enough to let it adjust.

Awm....35 degrees....Brrrrrr. I walked yesterday for 45 mins & considered getting my bike out but I wanted to listen to the iPod:) So glad you see your weight dropping:)

Hhierno - great information. And good for you for going to the gym:)

CB - keep up the healthful eating!! It's weird, almost like an alcoholic, I hit a bottom with my bad food habits. I smell grease and I feel nauseous. (Now, anyways)

I think the suggestion that we should check with a medical professional before starting a diet or exercise regimen is often ignored. Those numbers are vital and can help alert the doctor. I thought I was having thyroid problems & had my blood work done. Not just the routine stuff that the OB/GYN does yearly.

Now for that danged hula hoop....I STILL can't hoop;) My DH and my 10yo DS can hoop, but nooooooooooot ME!! I have even broken a blood vessel on my back!! I am determined, thou and will conquer that multi colored beast. Down 6 pounds and can feel the relief my zipper must be experiencing:) The yellow polka dot bikini is coming out this summer - LOL!! Not really:)

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

ajs, I just saw this thread again so I'll reply when...

I get back from exercising! :) (yesterday we did some intense aquaexercise-AQX stuff, still hurting, and today we'll do the System 27 and some treadmill. I'm *tentatively* feeling a little reduction in circumference, but those hot flashes still won't go away)

• awm03
    14 years ago

Scooby, that's great that you're down 6 pounds! Very good news indeed. Hope you're feeling good about yourself.

• awm03
    14 years ago

Spin class was canceled this morning: the new facilities aren't quite ready yet. Good, because it's supposed to reach 44 degrees today and it's sunny -- Bike Ride!!!!

• awm03
    14 years ago

So how's everybody doing? Feeling better yet?