SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Offender registry

neetsiepie
14 years ago

I didn't want to hijack Ttods thread, but Roselvr made a very good point about the sex offender registry and how people are charged with crimes. Agree 1000% that I'd be upset to learn that a sex offender lived next door, but I'd also want to find out the cause of the charges. For example, rape would freak me out, public urination (which could be the reason for an exposure charge) not so much.

You see, I've had experience in my family with the crime not so much fitting the charge. But then the person is forever labeled and it haunts them.

When my son was 17, he and all his friends, including kids from across the US were trading these stickers that they'd drawn their art on. Then the kids were putting the stickers up around town. Well, very long story short, my son, who by that time turned 18, was arrested and charged with FELONY criminal destruction of property. His crime? He put stickers on a phone junction box (along with a bus stop shelter and newspaper boxes). Turns out the law considers anything done to a public utility (traffic signs, telephone poles,etc) to be a criminal act. So putting up a lost dog sign on a telephone pole is a felony in my state.

The original intent of the law was to charge those with eco-terrorism from causing grievous harm by spiking poles, but there is nothing in that law that specifically spells that out.

So our local DA was on an anti-graffiti campaign, and my son was made an example of; because he was 18, the paper published his name and made headlines of "Man charged on multiple counts of felony graffiti charges". My son got charged with 5 Class A felonies, and was on probabtion for 3 years, plus a hefty fine. I agreed 100% with the fine...in fact, I thought he should do community service, not JAIL TIME for putting up some stickers. The juvenilles were also charged, but because they were under 18, their records are expunged, and no one is the wiser.

So my son has been barred from moving in to a decent apartment, can't get financial aid for school and has been denied some jobs because he's a convicted felon. Same considerations given to someone who stabs someone! Luckily, my son is eligible to have his record expunged, but my DH cannot.

See, as a reckless 19 y.o., my DH got his license suspended for too many speeding tickets. He kept driving while suspended and eventually was charged with a felony. He learned his lesson and by 21 had cleared his driving record and spent years paying off all his fines. He's not had so much as a parking ticket in over 20 years. However, due to our laws, he is still considered a convicted felon (he never did jail time) and once again, due to our laws, cannot EVER get his convictions expunged. So my husband will go to his grave, on record, as a felon due to his stupidity as a kid, but a person who sold drugs or beat someone into a coma can get a clean record and you'd never know it.

Comments (10)