SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
look_whos_typing

Great Apartment Great Landlord

look_whos_typing
15 years ago

I have experienced much of what I have read in this message/question board and let me reassure you that even when you think these "management companies" are all that is left, it isn't you just have to be patient and let your heart guide you to the perfect home. In my last rental I was not given information on lead, 3 years after living there we had a child. When she was 3 I found out information on lead paint. I asked the landlord, who had in the 6 previous years swore he was going to paint and get rid of the chipping paint,if the paint was lead. He said yes and I had her tested. She was at a level 5. He proceeded to evict us. I fought and even though I won I couldn't find anyone who would rent to me because it still showed up as a eviction. So I let my heart guide me. I sat down to log onto Craigs List rentals and said ok show me "the one" I went through many posts before I felt "the one". I called, talked with the owner for awhile, then met him the next day. (The rent was so cheap compared to some of the others I had looked at I was not optimistic that this wasn't gonna be a dive.) Desprate I showed up for the meeting. The apartments were beautiful. A small complex of 3 buldings in a U shape totaling 13 apts. Grounds well maintained. The inside was great, picture window in living and dining room, TWO full size closets in master bedrm. WOW I thought. So I had brung all the paper work with me from the courts. Told him the story,gave him proof of income forms, and said I was interested. I could have the full deposits in about a week and give him a down now. This was on the 22nd of the month. I had to be out by the 1st per settlement agreement of where I was living, he looked at me and I thought oh gosh, here we go again, and to my suprise he said, "tell me your going to be a good tenant" ok I bite " I would be the model tenant", I said. He took my measley $300.00 deposit with a balance of 1200 still owing to move in, and he HANDED me the KEYS. Wow Not even a refrence check. I was floored. He also said, were not gonna worry about the days between now and the 1st those are free, you can start moving in anytime. Let me say that alone makes him and this apartment GREAT. But when I moved in, it was like I had escaped from hell and all these angels were here to greet me. I have the best neighbors, the most wonderful landlord and a great apartment. So to each of you struggling let me say. Keep the faith and let your heart guide you. I hope this was the appropriate place to post this.

Thanks

Look whos typing

Comments (4)

Sponsored