SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Don't post your life story on the internets!

deegw
13 years ago

I know many of you are internet savvy but I just ran across something that really bothered me so I thought I would share the incident.

I often google user names to find a post in this site because the search function here is so archaic. This morning I googled a user name to find a post. (BTW, it was NOT someone who posts here. It was another forum.) I didn't get that many hits but I was shocked to see how much I could find out about this person from her user name. I got the results that I was searching for plus hits on an acne board, a weight loss board, a health board and a travel board! I think that this person would be mortified to find out that I know she isn't happy with her weight, has acne, had a health problem and traveled to xxx. I didn't even open the links. It was all out there on the google results.

We all know that nothing on the net is private. I was still surprised how shockingly easy it was to find out a tremendous amount of personal information about this woman without even trying. Be smart about user names, especially when posting sensitive information!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH