SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Your plant life story

xmpraedicta
16 years ago

I feel like some sort of similar discussion once arose before but I can't find it, so I'm going to start a new one, plus I think there are some new regulars so this should be fun.

What plant obsessions/plant related hobbies did you start off with, and are these pleasures still alive or has the space been taken by the orchids? Has it always been orchids and orchids only? Or perhaps you are already a yard gardener on the side, and if so, what other plant family/type also deserves the same reverence and attention as the orchids in your heart? Tell us your life story with the plants!

Anyway here's my plant life story. I started getting into plants planting bulbs with my mom when I was around 6...since then I've always been incredibly fond of bulbs and other perennials. (Recently I've grown less interested in bulbs though, because I find that they are so transient..I still plant some each year...trying to force some tulips for the first time ever this winter!) As I grew up I tried planting all sorts of different kinds of seeds...apples, pears, beans, oranges etc. I was and still am very interested in the branch of gardening involving plant propagation. However, I often think of my gardening passions as being stunted in development, because I spent my life moving around a whole lot, once every 2 years. The garden was either someone else's (when we rented), nonexistent (when we were in apartments and condos) or untouchable (apparently some land lords really like their lawns). Anyway I ended up finding an outlet in books, and I would read and buy tons of gardening books even though I would never actually be able to use the knowledge. I had brief encounters with orchids throughout my youth but I never really cared for them much (I let a phal roast in our home during the summer with no water and direct light for a month...I also remember going to my aunt's house, where she would have masses of fresh potted white phals delivered every month, and I would have fun pulling the buds off and rolling them around on the floor like marbles...*gasp*)

And then everything changed 5 years ago when I moved to Canada. I volunteered at a flower show and got my first two phals dirt cheap. Since then, things have gotten out of hand. I think the main factor is that here was finally a group of plants which I could grow no matter where I lived. Not only this but they were challenging to grow and rewarding when they flowered or thrived. I blame my suppressed childhood which I think has imprinted a permanent aversion to anything that needs to be planted outside and allowed to mature over years. Maybe that's what triggered the bug! Anyway, since 2 years ago my family acquired a permanent address here and I've been able to play around in the yard planting things that I will likely still see in 2 or 5 years. I stopped obsessing over ordering a thousand gardening magazines or buying truckloads of books, since I realized that a) most of them are in fact exactly the same, and b) when you have a small yard, you become picky about what you plant, so those books are just too broad and c)looking at those acreages of gardens in those magazines just makes me envious and bitter!

I did experience a lessening of the orchid affliction, but it came back in full force with our recent discussions about lights and more refined climate control indoors. Things I could never grow before are now possible. I'm pretty excited because there's a whole world still out there and hopefully one day once I'm better off financially, my day dreaming can become reality! For now, I'll settle for my few CFLs and computer fan. :) I'm only 22 so hopefully there will be many more years of orchid fun coming up!

I still have a lot of fun outside in the summer with the perennials and annuals. I think I've become more mature in terms of gardening...I see aesthetic beauty in plants I used to think were boring, and plants I used to think were awesome I now think are not so amazing (ie...I used to think hostas and ferns were dumb...now I think they're great! Conversely, I used to think gladioli were the best flower to exist...now I really could care less about them.) And it's always great to plant one's own food. I plan on going beyond tomatoes, eggplant and lettuce, and try my hand at zucchini this coming year!

Anyway that was my gardening life story, with the obvious and expected 'tip of the hat' to the orchids. Hope you enjoyed, and I'd love to hear the stories of others on the boards. :)

Comments (8)