SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonni_mich

What could the problem be?

bonni_mich
16 years ago

I will try to explain this the best I can. My computer, running Windows XP,would make a funny noise, we would reboot it, and everything would be fine. This had been going on for a couple of months. All of a sudden the other night, when ever I clicked on a link in anything, it would reboot, and I would have to use the power button on the back to get it to start up again, sometimes it would run for about 30 minutes, sometimes it would only run for 30 seconds, and it would quit again. I cleaned it all out and tried it again. Now the tower turns on (all the fans come on and the drives all light up) it won't open the one cd drive that has a disk in it. But it won't come up on the monitor.

The hard drives were replaced with in the last 6 months. I am just not sure if this could be a Processor problem (it has an AMD in it,not sure what speed) or if the mother board is gone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bonni

Comments (20)

• randy_ca
    16 years ago

If you want to get the disk out of the cd drive, there is a small hole on the front of the cd drive that you stick a paperclip into and push to manually release the tray.

But it won't come up on the monitor.
    Don't know what IT is.
    Does Windows load?, do you get anything on the screen?
    You could go back inside the case and make sure all the cables are pushed in tight.
    I'm guessing the funny noise was dust on the fans. You did the right thing to clean it out.

• grady
    16 years ago

No idea,BUT while You're checking for loose connections you may wish to use some contact cleaner on the on/off switch on the FRONT of your tower. Miracles have happened. Contact Cleaner has solved several other electrical problems for me.
    Assuming that it's not the HD, It could be that your power supply is going on the fritz.
    Just guessing. Grady

• Related Discussions

Pine trees looking bad...what could be the problem?

Q

Comments (9)
    its all over MI ... i forget what it is... but it isnt worth money to try to fix them.. get rid of them ... and replace with anything but a pine ... lol.. i am sure someone will come along and tell you the disease name.. and then suggest that the bugs will follow in attacking the stressed trees ... i got rid of 12 sylvestrus a few years back ... ken
    ...See More

What Could Be The Problem...Please Help!

Q

Comments (10)
    Petco is the only store around and they do have live worms, though poor in quality. I'll check it out today for sure since that's all I can do. Even though my mealworm feeder is covered, it's metal which I suspect in this heat, it'll serve as an oven! I'll get DH to help with this chore while I'm gone, but he "ain't" gonna like it! LOL...he has lots of "honey do's"...watering plants, the lawn, feeding the birds, taking care of the dog, filling the bird baths...the list goes on! He says he misses me when I'm gone, but I know why!!!! Thanks ya'll...BTW, heat index today says 110..YIKES! So Anita, be a good girl and send us some rain as we are desperate! Off to the pet store...thanks for reminding me.
    ...See More

Problem keeps re occuring

Q

Comments (2)
    Check the fit of your brake calpers with its mounting pins, and are the calipers free to slide on these pins? The calipers should have little to no lateral free play on the pins, but slide freely in and out. (There will be some friction from the pin seals.) If the pin holes in the caliper have worn too much, replace both calipers and pins. Make sure that the brake pads are sungly fitted and not sloppng around.
    ...See More

What could be the problem?

Q

Comments (2)
    It's an A5000, approx. 20 years old. (House was built in 1987, so I'm assuming it's original). It fills up, so I'd rule out the lid switch on that account.
    ...See More
  • grady
    16 years ago

One additional guess. Try to get your power from a KNOWN, DIFFERENT , wall outlet circuit, even if it means use of extension cord. Grady

• DA_Mccoy
    16 years ago

Bonni,

When you opened and cleaned out the inside did you by chance disconnect the ribbon connector from the CD drive? Is the ribbon connector still connected properly to the HD and the motherboard?

Have you tried booting the system up in safe mode?

This not-so-funny noise, I know it's difficult but can you be a little more identifiable? Electronic noise? Mechanical noise? A drive noise? Hum? Clicking?

Did you get the snow, ice, wind and rain last night? Ugly here in the Thumb this morning.

DA

• owbist
    16 years ago

When you do as Randy suggested and go inside the case to check all the connections be sure to remove the power cord from the back of the computer. Also be sure to have your bare hand or arm resting on the metal part of the case to ground yourself and protect the components.

When this is done leave the side panel off for a while to see if this might be a heat issue. You can also observe the fans while the case cover is off to be sure they are running.

Is there any connection between the hard drives being replaced and this issue starting?

• fruitjarfla
    16 years ago

Just a slight add-on to other comments: As best you can, separate all wire connections and reconnect with a little twist and turn to make sure of good connection.

• klaa2
    16 years ago

Bonni, I need more information but it sounds to me very much like your power supply is shot. This will cause all the things you mentioned including the build up to what it is doing now.

Sometimes if you get real close to the back of the tower by the exhaust fan you can smell a bad power supply. It is an electrical burning smell.

I would suggest you do not use the computer at all until you change out the power supply or you may damage any or all of the internal components.

• owbist
    16 years ago

I wonder if this is an eMachine - in which case Klaa would have it nailed for sure.

• genes
    16 years ago

I truly love people wanting help and supply next to nothing for info on their computer.
    Its like saying "my car doesnt start" You have no idea if its a gasoline/diesel engine, 2008 Mercedes or a 1923 Hupmobile.
    Sorry for the rant but this happens all the time. If sufficient info was provided, it wouldnt take several posts of people trying to guess

• bonni_mich
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To clarify, when I said that "IT" wouldn't come up on the monitor, I meant that windows won't boot up... NOTHING comes on the monitor, except the notice that the monitor is disconnected, even though it is connected, I have checked all the connectors inside, and still nothing.
    No the problems started a while after the hard drives were installed.
    I am thinking possibly motherboard and or processor.
    This is an IBM compatable machine, it was built by a computer guy. It is NOT an EMACHINE. Haven't smelled anything out of the back.

As I said the tower itself will power on, all the fans work, and the lights come on.(lighted clear tower,but not my choice lol) I usually have them off.
    Thanks for all the input already. Guess my son won't be getting his back for a while.

DA we got the snow,last night, sprinkling out there now.. I guess winter is here.... :(

• randy_ca
    16 years ago

NOTHING comes on the monitor, except the notice that the monitor is disconnected
    In my experience, this would indicate a dead motherboard, even though power still runs through it and spins the fans and turns on some lights.
    You can touch the bios chip (one of the little black squares on the motherboard) and it will probably be burning hot or very hot to the touch.
    Replacement motherboards are fairly cheap.
    The motherboard should have info on it as to what brand and number so you can search the internet.
    The processor is probably still good and can be used again, unless you want to go bigger and get a board w/larger processor.

• bonni_mich
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Randy Thank you for the information. I was thinking that it was probably the mb &/or the processor. So I will have to do some online searching now.

It's a good thing the tower doesn't scare me lol.

thanks again
    Bonni

• DA_Mccoy
    16 years ago

Randy,

A different time and a different era in computer systems, but your post shook some dust of one of my memory cells. Years ago an old Windows 3.1(?) I had showed quite similar symptoms that Bonni has. It was the motherboard. I think you may be on to something here.

Gene,

For what it is worth: Before I went on sabbatical I too use to get frustrated with some content, or lack there of, in posts here. At times it drove me nuts. However, now I just roll with the punch and enjoy myself here so much more. The bruising on my forehead has vanished too.

DA

• randy_ca
    16 years ago

In Bonni's defense these were her first words I will try to explain this the best I can.
    I think she did a pretty good job of explaining.
    Forgive us if we all think EMachine due to their cheap power supply's.
    Of the 4 emachines I've toyed with, 2 old and 2 newer ones.
    The first old one was power supply, no power, no lights, no fans.
    Second old one was a bad processor, which gives a different message than the monitor one.
    The 2 newer ones had the same monitor message as you.
    Being emachines, I think power supply, but wait, the fans spin, the lights work, must have power.
    Then I think video card - no monitor, slip in a video card, still no joy, same message.
    Figure the motherboard, start feeling around on the chips and find the bios chip hot as can be, swap out the motherboard with a known good one and the machine boots up and runs perfect.

congrats on not letting the tower scare you.

• bonni_mich
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Randy and all,
    Thanks for all the advice. I did finally get a hold of my computer guy, tower is going in Monday, and I will have it back this week :)

I am a school bus driver.. so it takes ALOT to scare me :)
    again Thanks all

• klaa2
    16 years ago

It has nothing to do with Emachine. Any computer exhibiting those signs is indicating a bad power supply. It's a good possibility that continuing to turn it on and off with a bad power supply will indeed cook the motherboard, if it hasn't already.

As for touching ANY components on the motherboard; if you do so without being totally grounded say goodbye to the motherboard. A small static charge will totally destroy the bios chip or most other components.

Power supplies do not always fail dead. They usually get erratic first. That's why your fans still spin and your fans come on. Computers are very sensitive to voltage changes and if your power supply isn't outputting a consistent voltage then when your hard drive starts spinning, calling for more juice, it could cause the computer to reboot.

I hope you trust your computer guy.

Good luck. Let us know what the tech says. Thanks.

P.S. Everyone keep your computers as dust free as possible. NEVER use a vacuum inside the tower, you'll fry it up from the static electricity. Use canned air made for this purpose only and for goodness sakes unplug the thing and let it sit a few minutes first.

Dust is one of the biggest enemies of the computer and cause it to overheat. Oh, don't try to keep it dust free by enclosing it either - remember you don't want it to overheat.

• bonni_mich
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well hubby took the tower in today, and it was a combo of things, the power supply is going, and the mb does have problems also. So instead of fixing it, I am trading it in, and am getting a new tower. A little bit more power, and a bigger hd :)

Price isn't too bad, so it was the best route to go. But I do appreciate all the help and advice.

klaa2 yeah I do trust the computer guy, the tower used to be HIS personal tower, and I know his dad LOL so I know I am safe with him

Have a good day all,
    Bonni

• okwriter
    16 years ago

I am a school bus driver.. so it takes ALOT to scare me

I'll bet!
    :-)

• mikie_gw
    16 years ago

Greyhound bus driven by one of your kids, might scare you.

• bonni_mich
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mikie,
    Only if they were on the same street as me LOL

:)
    Bonni