SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

What Could Be The Problem...Please Help!

donnalovesblue
14 years ago

Something just doesn't seem right and I'm very worried. The nestlings are about 4 or 5 days old and Mom and Dad aren't feeding them very often. I began noticing this, I think on Sat. afternoon but I didn't check the box since I had company all weekend, and quite frankly, I feared what I might find and didn't want to upset my grandchildren nor myself.

Just did a very quick check and the babies seem fine and I could see at least 3 of them gaping as if they were hungry! Bugs are probably scarce since we've had NO rain in a long time and conditions are hot and dry...heat indexes around 105. I don't have live mealworms but have been putting out the dried ones. In the past, they've gobbled them up, but I have yet to see the parents show any interest in them now.

During the first nesting, the parents fed the babies constantly, every few minutes as a matter of fact, particularly the first week after hatching. I am really concerned about them and don't understand why the parents are not as attentive as they should be at this point. Even more upsetting is that I'm going out of town Wed-Sun and will not be able to check on things, so I'll be worried sick that they may not survive. I finally saw Daddy at the bird bath yesterday which was a first.

I even put out the sprinkler in the backyard for a long time hoping it would bring out some bugs.

What could be happening and are the little ones in jeopardy? Many thanks.

Donna

Comments (10)