SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snugglebunny_gw

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as this?

snugglebunny
13 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but it's a food-related question and I know there are people here who have catered or cheffed so maybe I can get some input please. I recently was hired to buy food from Sam's Club and bring it to a local Adult Ed program where teachers were taking a continuing education class needed for some kind of employment certification.

I disinfected the long tables, provided paper plates, napkins, forks, serving utensils and arranged the food on the tables. My contract said I'd be available from 4 to 6:30, and the contract also said I'd clean up, take out the trash, and dispose of any leftover food and exit by 6:30 pm.

I heard later from the persons/committee who were in charge of making the food arrangements, and they were VERY disappointed that I didn't leave the food there until 9:00. They told me after-the-fact that they paid for the food and my service, and they also expected to take home all the leftovers. I had no idea of this expectation!

I have a food handlers certification, and in good conscience, I could not leave the food out that long, as it would have been un-refrigerated, and since my end time was 6:30, well, I had to make sure everything was done, put away, disposed of, and cleaned. I felt that I would have been responsible, as the person with the contract who provided the food, if anyone had become ill because of poor food handling and lack of refrigeration for items that had chicken or a mayonnaise base in them.

Is this normal, that people expect you to leave the food with them? I know at weddings, the people who pay for the catering/food are not given leftovers, even if only 80 people showed up but they have food for 100. I also have never been to a class or in-service or meeting etc where people expect to take home leftovers!

I'm very upset that this happened and feel as if I have burned a bridge, and I also feel the blame is on me and yet I didn't know the expectations, and my contract (which I wrote up for this) clearly addressed my time there and what my duties were and what would become of the food.

Is this kinda weird or is it my inexperience?

Comments (12)