SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

Let's Go For A Walk!

canarybird01
16 years ago

On March 12, last Wednesday morning I went with my friend Anne down into the picturesque town where we live for a walk and lunch. We had some things to do so I parked in a shopping centre and we walked through some of the main parts of town. There were many tourists and holidaymakers strolling though the streets, and as it was a warm day, they were dressed for summer.

We stopped for a coffee (cafe con leche) and a fresh raisin magdalena in a little cafe near the main church plaza. Groups of mainland Spanish schoolchildren here on Easter holiday passed by as we sat there. Then we continued, stopping for a look inside the Hotel Monopol, which for over 25 years has decorated its front steps daily with fresh hibiscus flowers. Inside in the central atrium is the wintergarden filled with hanging plants and potted palms. I know this place well as I was with a group presenting fashion shows in the evenings there years ago.

Walking down to the main Plaza del Charco, we passed the Cafe Columbus and their bakery with an outdoor sandwich window selling bocadillos and bread with mett (raw ground meat). We then walked past the fishermen's harbour and over to the old customs house, now converted to the main Tourist Office and Canary crafts shop.

We then went for lunch in Casa Miranda, an old Canary house dating from 1730 converted to a restaurant with many rooms. Elegant dining upstairs, a tapas restaurant downstairs and a wine bodega among some of the rooms. We stopped at the tapas bar and each chose ensaladilla Rusa (Russian salad)...a delicious potato, pea, carrot & tuna salad found in nearly every tapas bar and some gambas al ajillo (sizzling garlic prawns) with little warm bread rolls, red house wine and water. It was a really enjoyable lunch and not expensive.

Then we continued up past the Ayuntamiento (city hall) to the seawall of San Telmo which overlooks the main seafront of Puerto de la Cruz. There, along with the many tourists, we watched the waves crashing in over the black volcanic rocks.....almost hypnotic and very relaxing to stand there and listen to the sea and feel the spray. After some time we walked back over to Calle La Hoya from where we began and after looking in a few more shop windows and at the street bazaars, we returned to the car. I felt as though I'd been away somewhere on holiday......seeing so many beautiful flowers and watching the sea was a nice change from my daily routine and I must do that more often!

Here is the link to the 100 photos in the album.
There is a slideshow option at top right on the first page if you would care to use it.

You may see why I love Tenerife and the Canary Islands!

SharonCb

Comments (10)