SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elly_nj

Update on Wilbur, CCI Foster

Elly_NJ
15 years ago

Well, at this moment I am going to boast.

We had a great training/play session. Went to Puppy kindergarden yesterday (first class) where he generally terrorized the other nice puppies with rambunctious play (many of his friends are adult service or therapy dogs who do not correct him), but that is another story).

It is a miserable rainy day, the first in the almost-three weeks I've had him.

8 weeks old (14 pounds):

{{!gwi}}

I took him out a few time in the morning, but I slept in, and so did he. I then made breakfast, coffee, tethered him to me and had him play near me while I ate and read.

We of course went out to "hurry" (his toilet command) about 4 times within 2 hours.

Then I took him for a walk. I like to reinforce his training in any time I have with him, rewarding him with either kibble or "release" to play. Rolling in Pachysandra is is favorite thing, so I let him.

Training for about 5 minutes at a time with food or play rewards: Sit (he knows); wait (learning, and did excellently despite distractions); "Wilbur"; "don't" (CCI general command for "no"; "off"; "play" my command to grab his tug toy and play with me; "drop it" (release his toy at my command); "release" (the break of any command that gives him leave to play, sniff, walk, etc; "let's go, this way;" walk by me commands; maintaining his eyes on me...

And, the biggest surprise of the hour: "Hurry" on command! Three times!

We have been working on all the above in the last three weeks, usually at two at a time (he has a very short attention span), but all were combined in this now 21-pound 10 week old lab pup .

To other puppy owners, take heart: he does grab inappropriate things (wood, leaves, stones) if I am not on my game, and does have accidents (if I am not on my game). He is still a puppy. But incredibly smart. Very confident and independent, which makes for a tough student, but a good one. CCI breeds incredible dogs.

I love the idea (in this lovely season so far) that I am more active, visiting friends with dogs and getting out more. I am sure all this will change on tough days, but it was very rewarding today.

He is in his crate sleeping now.

8 weeks:

{{!gwi}}

Good "look":

{{!gwi}}g

Comments (13)