SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieschrader

Floor Plan - tips on aging in place?

Jules
10 years ago

I've been reading threads relating to aging in place and decided to make a couple changes to my floor plan based on helpful comments posted, and I welcome further suggestions.

This is our third build. We're in our 40s, will soon be empty nesters and this will hopefully be our forever home on a beautiful lake lot. Our basement has already been poured, so any changes would need to be made within the existing footprint.

We'll have a finished lower level walkout for our kids/future grandkids and guests that can be closed off when they're not here, and we'll also have an unfinished bonus area over the garage that can be made into a bunkroom should the need arise down the road. We attempted to downsize from a large tudor, but we both added this space here and that space there, and this is what we have. I really didn't want the guest bedroom on the main floor, but my husband insisted.

Changes:

Swapping location of shower and toilet in master bath so toilet is closer to bedroom and also so wall around toilet can be removed later if needed. Adding an outlet next to toilet.

Moving stacked washer and dryer in master closet to outside wall.

Rethinking mudroom closet layout - do you think a walk in is advisable?

Guest bedroom (#2) will have a moveable wardrobe vs the closet shown to offer more flexibility.

Thanks for your input.

This post was edited by jujubean71 on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 15:31

Comments (10)