SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty526

aging in place construction

patty526
6 years ago

am building a cottage, brick piers. lower south, high humidity. the plan is to have a secure garden like home with porches placed to the back of the house for privacy and security. I want the home to look like it has lived in the neighborhood forever. I have parapet walls on the 2 street sides, and fenced toward the back corner on the other 2 sides. big enough yard to have one, small enough to deal with. I am looking for this house to have the least possible degree of maintanence (sp) by taking precautions with design and materials. I am also determined to get the biggest bang for the buck...in looks as well as functionality. Termites and humidity, hurricanes and floods are all in the mix. there is only so much I can control with all that, and the plans are elevated to the point that anymore and I've excluded half the population with hip/knee/back problems!

Specifically, I've decided : metal roof. brick parapet walls. just enough wrought iron to pay homage to the spanish.

trying to decide on concrete siding or going back to a natural look and 'feel' of cedar siding (which I am thinking would be cheaper...) Hardy etc. are pretty durable etc. but stuff happens and I worry about chipping etc over time. The pre painted don't stay pretty forever. Cedar has a natural organic look that appeals to me, and I think would dress up nicely if done right. It also has a natural insect repellant and I've heard is somewhat termite resistant. that coupled with pretreatments etc. will greatly cutdown on my worry about termites. it also cuts the labor cost in half.

and the inside floors. I have been smitten and then oversold on luxury vinyl tile. I am sticking with wood, but I want real wood. When first introduced a few years back bamboo was the expensive new kid, now I see it's cheaper than laminate? is there a cheap grade bamboo and a 'real' bamboo? I have a prefinished floor in this house, and if I could do it over again I would just put real wood floors in it and refinish every 15 years or so. I don't want that hassle at all, so really need some feedback on floor options. I don't even know if bamboo is considered a wood? it's a small place with lots of open space and I want to bring just one floor everywhere. any advise is welcome.

Comments (2)