SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheloveslayouts

Wall Oven versus Range for Aging in Place

sheloveslayouts
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, gang. Last weekend I started sketching out a floor plan for a one bedroom apartment in our daylight basement (an ADU.) The idea is that we'll start this project in 3-5 years, so plenty of time to perfect the layout. I'd like it to be as universally accessible as possible; this is our forever home and, Lord willing, we will grow old here. Our parents are in their late sixties. I'm trying to convince my parents to downsize and come be near their grandchildren.

We are limited to 720 square feet. I'm trying to balance efficiency with accessibility. None of our people who may live here are used to more than one oven.

I've never had a wall oven, just ranges. My NKBA guide with access standards doesn't really address wall ovens. It only recommends that wall oven controls be less than 48" above the floor.

Would you say there is a significant physical benefit to having a wall oven at waist height? To have a wall oven is to lose counter space, so I'm weighing it's pros and cons. I'd like to read your thoughts.

Comments (36)