SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cearab_gw

Help please! Computer issue

cearab
15 years ago

First, let me say that I am great with browsing on the computer, researching, etc, but I am NOT GOOD with how the computer actually works. Here's my situation. I have a Dell Inspiron 640m laptop, a little over a year old. I'm using XP on this. I had an anti-virus program that a computer guy I have used in the past installed for me. I can't remember the name of it, but I let it expire about 4 months ago and did not get around to renewing it. Anyway, last night I was ordering some items online and shut down the laptop (was on battery at that point),for a few minutes to answer the phone. When I opened the laptop back up, the screen would not come up. The far left button on the laptop was still lit, but the screen did not reappear, it was just black. I went and plugged in the charger (I did have time left so the battery was not dead). Still, after 10 minutes the screen remained black and nothing I could do had any reaction. I pushed the off button to shut it down as I could not turn it off normally. I restarted and it was really slow coming around. Now I see that I have lost several items that were saved on my desktop (naturally I don't remember what they were), but there are items gone. The icon for the anti-virus on the bottom toolbar is gone. I don't remember the name of the anti-virus program, but I believe it began with the letter A. It was not Norton or one of the other programs most people are familiar with. I also had Avast antivirus and now that keeps asking me for a key, which I have no record of.

I did look through my 'my document' folders and it does not appear anything was lost from there. But there are some other missing icons along the bottom toolbar, and the missing items saved on my desktop.

Also, when I went back to the site where I had almost finished ordering the items I was purchasing, there was no record of my order so I had to redo that. I have no idea what has happened here, but I am concerned that I have picked something up. I pay numerous bills online, so I am worried about security now. Can I get some advice as to what to do next from the more savvy people here. Please remember that I am totally inept at understanding installing things, so if it could be explained in the most basic language that would be most helpful.

Money is really tight right now, otherwise I would call in my computer 'geek' and pay him to take care of this.

Thanks for reading.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner