SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Setting up new thinkpad - what to do, install, uninstall -

lynnalexandra
15 years ago

After much deliberation and great advice here (and a delay in parts supply), I got my new Thinkpad x61. I'm in love. I'm so glad I decided to get an ultraportable.

It doesn't seem to have much bloatware, but I'd like to know what to check for. And what to install.

I already know I want to get rid of the free trial Norton Antivirus. I think I want to get Avast instead. But I'm not sure of the order of operations. Do I download Avast first. Then uninstall Norton. Then install Avast? I don't want to leave myself vulnerable to viruses and I don't know the steps to take. I also want to know if a simple remove Norton program is sufficient (or will it be imbedded in other places on my computer)?

I'm going to try to do without AOL for now -and download Firefox for my browser. I also want to download superantispyware, ccleaner, open office and itunes. What else should I think of installing - malwarebytes?

I have links for superantispyware, firefox and ccleaner, but don't have one for malwarebytes, open office or Avast (which version should I get).

I think I also need to make a back up of XP Professional that came installed. Since Lenovo isn't allowed to sell XP any more, they get around it by preinstalling XP - and then "selling" a disk to upgrade to Vista should I decide to do so (which I have no intention of doing). I have no idea how to make a back up disc. Any advice? CD or DVD?

I know to set up windows updates to notify me of updates but not download them.

Anything else?

This is very exciting to think of setting this up by myself - the way I want it - without bloatware - without paying a professional. I am so grateful to the generous folks on this forum for giving me the knowledge, help and "brave juice" to try this on my own.

Lynn.

Comments (17)