SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Got the new laptop -- now time to set it up

jenn
15 years ago

Well, the Sony Viao wasn't in stock and the two copies shipped the next day were gone in 60 seconds, so it was back to the research desk. After a bad case of analysis paralysis, I turned the search over to Hubby. He found a deal at Fry's in today's paper, drove over in the pouring rain, and brought the new baby home:

Toshiba L305-S5939 (Intel Centrino T6400 Processor 4GB RAM 320GB Hard Drive 15.4" Display Windows Vista 64bit Premium) marked down $150.00 which fit nicely into our original budget for a good all-purpose laptop for email/surfing/blogging/photo viewing.

Anyhoo.... I'm getting ready to do the set-up and clean-up, and I have some questions before I begin. First, I'd like to add that I do a LOT of surfing on our current PC (Windows XP, Avast free, ZoneAlarm free, and a Spybot) and never have a problem.

Questions:

#1: Would it be safe to copy the Avast installation exe (dated June 2008) from our current PC to the laptop, then get the updates? I plan to remove the AV that's on the laptop and I do NOT want to activate it on the system before I remove it

#2: Why do some of you recommend Windows FW over ZoneAlarm?

Comments (13)