SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Setting up daughter's new laptop

lynnalexandra
12 years ago

So I'm starting a new thread. I did get my daughter a laptop for her 12th bd tomorrow. I'm busy setting it up - updating programs, installing anti-virus, anti-spyware, ccleaner, secunia. Set it up with me as having administrative control - with a password that only I know.

I set up another account for my daughter - with her name. I have some parental controls set up on the account. For now, it's just limiting her hours so she can't use it when she's supposed to be in bed (bc. she was already getting on the computer to play and im with her bff in Vietnam - and that's only going to get worse as she gets older). I do have the option to control time further and restrict access - but I'm not doing that for now. My daughter knows (and signed a contract) that we could change that at any point - and will let her know if we do.

I've installed the following:

firefox 4

avast

malwarebytes

superantispyware

spywareblaster

secunia

I ran secunia and found 4 updates still needed. But I"m having trouble doing Windows updates. Windows 7 home premium. (Yesterday I was able to do microsoft updates (and 23 out or 24 installed). Windows 7 is not up to date (Secunia results). Today when I go to do updates, it wants me to use Microsoft Update service - which I don't want bc. it is forcing me to accept that Microsoft will install the updates. I can't find a way to set it to notify but not install. If I don't agree to terms of use for Microsoft Update, then it does not allow me another way to get updates. Any ideas how I can update without accepting this service. I want to control which updates I accept and install - and pick my time to do it.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go. I made recovery disks. It suggested making a reset password disc - but when I tried it did not seem to recognize that a dvd disc was inserted. I tried several times - and tried a few blank dvd's. I had no trouble with the laptop recognizing and recording to dvd when creating recovery disks. Not sure what's wrong. When I insert the disc, it gives me 4 options to use Roxio to burn, windows to burn, (and 2 others I forgt). if I 'x' out of the screen - or if I make a selection - or if I ignore it - doesn't matter. Laptop isn't recognizing that a disc is inserted - at least for creating a reset password dvd.

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (17)