SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Old laptop won't connect to linksys E1000 router

chas045
10 years ago

I have an old Dell inspiron 8200 laptop. It had been running fine and doing the job for me. Unfortunately, the drive died on me. I have asked a couple of questions and a couple of you suggested I bail on it since it is so old, but I have gotten it almost back into shape. In fact in some ways it is better than ever but I haven't been able to get it connected to my wi fi. Fortunately, I have found that a helpful acquaintance is Very good on PC's, but he has become stumped and I thought someone here might have just the right experience to point me (or him) in the right direction.

Actually, I had bought a cheap Windows password protected duplicate dell 8200 off ebay and swapped in my old drive. That was the good system I was wi fi connected with. I was able to find a good password cracker and therefore able to use the drive that came with the duplicate. It was used by a web programmer and is fully loaded except last used in 2006 with service pack 2 only. At the moment, I am just downloading sp3 via an ethernet cable.

My problem is that we can''t get it to cleanly connect with my Linksys E1000 wi fi router that is password protected. I know the password. Wife's I-Pad is connected and so is a sony TV connection. The password will also allow me access to the router's setup page on line so that I could change the password and other settings. The laptop will auto connect with an unsecured network that my friend and I were at, and it 'connects' with MY guest network. However, the guest net wants a password too and it isn't the one I know. Attempted regular secured connection times out with a message of 'limited or no connectivity'.

We see that the linksys router is expecting sp3 but we doubt it is really necessary just to get a clean connection, but who knows. Does anyone have experience with problems like this?

Comments (21)