SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juneroses_gw

'Removed' program is still there

Computer: Dell Dimension 2400 desktop; XP Home; 256 MB SDRAM (yes, I know!); 80 gig HD

Uses: E-mail and minimal surfing

Problem: I "removed" a program but it's still there

My friend just recently moved from DUN to cable. Sadly, it still took 15-20 minutes to boot. Having lurked here for several years, I felt I could help and I have. Boot is now 4.5 minutes. This has been accomplished by trading out resource hogs (i.e. McAfee Suite) for Avast, & ashampoo, minimizing programs in start-up, removing unused programs, etc. I know more RAM would really help.

I've used Revo Uninstaller with Advanced Scan to remove programs. One of the programs I removed was JASC, a paintshop type program. At the time, the removal process seemed "normal".

Today, I was sitting at the computer while Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware was running and happed to glance up and see a scan of a JASC file flash past.

When Malwarebytes was finished ("no problems"), I rechecked "Add/Remove Programs" and no JASC was listed. I rechecked again using Revo - still no JASC.

Curious, I searched all C drive files and folders for JASC and came up with a boatload - dll files, a large application file, etc.

The only explanation I can think of is that JASC was never originally installed, and by "removing" it, I actually installed it but then Revo scanned the registry for JASC and did remove the registry entries? And this is why it's not showing up in "Add/Remove"?

Can I delete each JASC file that search finds or should I leave well enough alone (the computer is running fine)?

Many thanks for sharing your time and expertise. - June

Comments (5)