SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Please Help Me Contain My Excitement...

triciae
15 years ago

OK, several weeks ago, maybe a couple months ago, I hinted here that I'd have a fun surprise in a few weeks. Well, I was supposed to get it today but we're having an ice storm in New England & it's going to delay my surprise until this weekend. I'm so excited I can't wait, or contain myself.

Most of you know my Dad was an entertainer. He started life in vaudeville. He became a headliner entertainer with his accordion. Then, when talkies came onto the scene Dad switched to keyboard.

Anyway, when Dad passed I received his accordion as per his Will. It was the only thing I ever wanted from his estate. I don't have the words for how priceless this accordion is to me. I get all teary just writing about it.

I need to give a bit of history to understand...

Dad's accordion was custom hand-made in San Francisco in 1921 by two Italian masters. It's one of the first accordions made in America. The accordion cost my grandfather the equivilent of 2 years' pay. That was a huge amount of money in 1921. Obviously, he had faith in my father's ability to return his investment. In the picture, note the use of Mother Of Pearl floral & striping decoration. The metal panel is solid nickel. The bellows are gold fabric (not visible). The name plate...yeah, the name plate. Dad won first place in an accordion play-off contest in 1927. The prize was that name plate...it's done in .10 Kt diamonds (there are 115 stones). On the bass, a .25 Kt diamond was added to note Middle C. Over the years, some of the diamonds have fallen out, the nickle is dull, the fittings are dulled, the entire thing is filthy...I mean, gosh, it's old.

I've been searching for a competent restorer for YEARS. I found one. It wasn't easy...nor inexpensive. Everything is handmade & custom on the accordion so whoever restores it has to be able to rebuild it by hand. I wanted it RESTORED not modernized. I didn't care what it cost. It's ready!!!!! I'm $12K poorer...but it's READY!

I had all of the .10 Kt diamonds replaced with new stones plus changed the bass to .50 Kt & added two additional stones. Adding those two new stones signifies, in my mind, Dad & me together celebrating the music. I had such a love/hate relationship with Dad but there is nothing but love in his music.

Everything has been restored beautifully. The bellows were such quality they needed nothing but cleaning. Their compression still tested perfect. Nothing on the accordion was replaced except the diamonds...everything was rebuilt just as it was new. The guy who did the restoration says he's only known three different types of old Italian bass mechanisms. Dad's is different. So, now he knows that four types were made. He didn't have a jig that would work so he had to first built the jig before he removed the first piece to start work. It's taken FOREVER and a day, IMO...the wait has been so hard.

Here's the picture I took the day it left my possession to be restored. I'll take pictures this weekend of the finished restoration. I'm soooo excited! Dad earned his living with this accordion. It was a 'tool', to him. I was rarely allowed to touch it. This accordion has so many memories for me. I studied accordion from age 4, at my Dad's side, for 17 years. Sometimes, he brought in another accordionist for some specialized techniques like the bellow shake but mostly it was my father who passed his music to me...father-to-daughter, side-by-side I watched, practiced, & learned. Later, when I had my spinal injury I could no longer play & switched to keyboard. But, the accordion will always be special to me & this accordion especially so. After much thought, I made the decision that it will be donated to the accordion museum when my time here is past along with the precious few pictures I have of Dad playing it, his thousands of pieces of sheet music, & a single tape recording I have that was salvageable. I'm still hopeful that buried in boxes in some warehouse tapes of him playing on his radio show will turn up. My father made his German-Russian immigrant enclave proud that one of their own could be successful here in the land of great opportunity...America.

I only wish I would have been able to accomplish his dreams for me. He wanted me to be an entertainer. I can't do it. It's physically exhausting. It's mentally exhausting. And, sadly...I just don't have that certain something 'special' that makes a person not just a good musician but an 'entertainer'. My Dad had it in spades. His daughter doesn't.

Here's the picture, pre-restoration...

{{gwi:1459121}}

/tricia

Comments (29)