SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomoon

Kitchenaid (KFIS27CXMS) 26.6 cf refrigerator? vs Samsung , etc..

nomoon
13 years ago

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on the Kitchenaid KFIS27CXMS refrigerator? I'd be grateful for any first hand experiences with this model. I suspect that this is a new model since there are extremely few reviews online. Our builder is able to get this model for cheaper than we can get it from our local big stores. His price is about the same as for the Samsung 28-29 cf models. The Samsung seems tempting as well. I've read several comments about the Samsungs, but not the KA. Is the ice maker adequate in this KA? Here are some details that I've found:

The Samsung is slightly bigger for about the same price. However, the refrigerator volume is roughly the same. Only the freezer is smaller for the Kitchenaid. We have a separate freezer in the garage, so it's not as critical for us.

The Samsung models (except for #298 w/ dual ice maker) have complaints about low output from the ice maker. I live in a fairly hot climate and would like lots of ice, so this would limit us to the 298 model. I haven't found any comments about how adequate the ice makers is on the KA model.

The KA model from the builder has the "Tempest" icemaker/dispenser which has a fancy touch screen interface. This seems like an unneeded complexity that could break. The Samsung #299 also has a touch screen, but it's not the one with dual ice makers, so we aren't considering it anyway.

I have read the following complaints about the Samsungs: The water dispenser isn't very cold, the water dispenser tends to drip in some, and the ice dispenser tends to be sloppy. I haven't seen much about the KA "Tempest" dispenser.

The Samsung has dual coolers: one for the freezer and one for the fridge. I don't have a feel for the how beneficial this may be versus being another complexity that could break.

I read one complaint about the left door not staying open with the KA model.

I'd be grateful for any wisdom that anyone can share with us on this issue. Thanks!

Comments (8)