SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luis_pr

An oops with the cell phone

luis_pr
11 years ago

So phones are now computers too, hu? Well, not being a smartphone person and resisting buying one because they confuse me, I kept using flip phones. Until the oops incident a week ago. Seems cell phones do not like... errr.... oooooooh..... water. Or was it Diet Soda? I do not remember. Ha! Oops all right.

Tried to go to a repair shop but they said they could not help; I have to replace it instead. Visited an ATT Store and it was a case of TMI, too much info.

So, I end up wondering about smartphones and if I should bite the bullet anyways. But god, they are so expensive! The monthly service, I mean. I understand that I still have to pay for the same cell charges as before but, with a smartphone, add battery recharging & data plans.

I got some literature about plans from Walmart a couple of weekends ago, read a little and, wow, ended going to the garden in 103-degree weather instead.

The cost for data plans seems outrageous, don't you think? Even more when you add the monthly cellphone service cost.

My sister said she pays about $120 monthly for 2 smartphones, minus some work discounts. God, that is still almost $1,500 a year. The downpayment for some cars!

An ATT Mobileshare plan example from Walmart, for 2 phones and a tablet, said $170 a month for 6G with unlimited talk and text (I am not a texter). That is over $2,000 a year. That cannot be what people pay for using these computers yearly, is it?

So what is your plan like? I know I will need two smartphones and am very very slowly researching getting a tablet too (I started another post about that) for my mother, who lives in a house without Internet. The cost of the units (the hardware) is irrelevant since the yearly cost of the data plans is so much more than the cost of the smartphone computers. In other words, even a free smartphone still shocks me when I am spending upwards of $1500 for data plans a year. Wow!

TIA, Luis

PS - Oh one last question. Someone said that they were designed to need to be recharged at least once a day. Once a day? A daaaaay? Really???

Comments (29)