SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

Grout vs. caulk - inside corner blocked by shower door!

charlikin
15 years ago

In what is apparently a typical situation (based on reading threads here), my contractor's tile guy used grout instead of caulk in the corners and along the tub transition in my shower-over-tub. And after only a few weeks, the grout is already cracking in the corners.

I plan to insist that they dig the grout out of the corners and put in caulk. There's one hitch. The wall at the front end of the tub bends around the tub and forms an additional inside corner. (This is where the wall was bumped out for the sink & toilet pipes.) There's a frameless sliding glass shower door already installed on the tub, blocking access to this additional inside corner. I can't actually see if the grout on this corner is also cracking - I can only see the top 12 or 18 inches above the shower door. And I assume the tile guy will not be able to get into this corner to fix it.

This photo should give an idea of what I'm talking about:

{{gwi:1486497}}

How much of a problem is this? Will the shower door provide enough protection to prevent moisture from leaking through any cracked grout in this corner? How big a deal is it for them to take down the shower door to caulk the corner? (I know *they* will say it's a big deal!)

I'm already having big problems with this contractor with the kitchen cabinet installation (we're currently waiting for the replacement cabinets to arrive). There are a limit to how many fights I want to have with him, but if this is a real problem, I need to deal with it.

WHY WHY WHY don't all tile installers use caulk where they're supposed to???

Comments (3)