SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happymom3_gw

Caulk vs grout issues

happymom3
16 years ago

I'm having grout vs. caulk issues with my builder! I had read all the threads about this issue so I can't believe I let this happen. We discussed it but I guess I didn't understand that he only uses caulk when 2 dissimilar materials come together but not always when 2 walls or floor/wall come together in the same material (ie. shower). He says the caulk everywhere would get too dirty. Of course I now have cracks in the shower at these joints and I tried very diplomatically to discuss the issue with him without saying "I read it on the internet". His answer is that he goes back in afterwards and uses caulk wherever the grout is cracking. But from what I've read here that won't work.

I need help with 2 things...

1. Is there somewhere official that this issue is written about that I could print and give to him. Something that is not opinion.

2. What do I do now?? If everything is grouted do I just have to live with it? Will caulking into the cracked grout work at all?

What makes me so crazy is I knew about this before the tile work was done, we discussed it, but I guess I didn't thoroughly understand his approach to the issue.

Some expert opinions would be great...Thanks!

Comments (6)