SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daunt

Grout vs caulk for tub/shower combo

daunt
7 years ago

Hi everyone! This forum has been so helpful but I have seen many differing opinions on grout vs caulk, so posting my situation in the hope that someone can help me out.

I just got my old 1960s shower/tub combo re-tiled two weeks ago - ripped out the walls above the tub and rebuilt completely. The tiler did not use any caulk, Prism grout everywhere including change of planes. At the time I didn't know to question this.

I then had the bathtub reglazed a couple of days ago, and the reglazer, who was also a tile guy, said that after the reglazing I should caulk around the edge of the tub (over the grout) and in the vertical corners of the tile surround. He recommended I use Polyblend Non-Sanded Caulk in a matching color. So I promptly went to Home Depot and did what he recommended - caulking over the grout where the tub meets the tile. I haven't done the vertical corners yet as I then started googling and was worried I have done the wrong thing. I also noticed (after I had used it!) that the Polyblend says not to use in areas of heavy water use. The prevailing opinion online also seems to be to only use 100% silicone in this area.

Is this caulk going to mildew now? What should I do to fix this?

Thank you so much!

Comments (2)